Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-Fi Corridor. Looking for critiques/feedback please. Would help a ton.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Onnessa polycounter lvl 5
Hello fellow artist. Today i come to thee in search of your feedback skills. I recently started making some 3d environments (some based on concept art and others on some ideas that i get) Though none of them are of any outstanding level and thats why im here now. I want to start searching for true feedback from anyone willing to give it. Anyway, long story short. Started this scene after finding some cool corridor studies of many artists. Started modeling stuff and making substances on designer to learn the ropes of it.

Overall, the idea of the scene is of a space ship or someplace with a techy-corridor BUT! since i wanted to create some story. This place is being restored. What happend before it? Well i have many different ideas at the moment. From a biomass like infestation that would add some gross stuff at the back and some other things  or just a regular battle that left behind some remnants (bloodsplatters, bullet holes and the like) as of now i havent really made any of this stuff since i cant decide which road to take. Though i understand the huge importance of boxing in everything for the final piece, i wanted to try and get some coherent lighting and ship textures before hand.
As you can see on the post, still many things to do. But i would appreciate some pointer for where to go from here.Anything would be usefull.

Thanks for anyone that has taken the time to read and comment. Cheers.

FirstBase Subtance on the right. On the left a texture done while following an artstation learning tutorial.
Decided to tone down on the detailing of the floor so went for this.
This and some following screens are for detail lighting on UE4As you can see, walls texture is crap. Ive been battling with what to do with them to make them fit.Following images are what ive done so far. They are just to dark at the moment, definitely gonna change or add some more sources. Still the roof is not done. trying hard to get something good concept wise that along with walls.

This is the latest floor texture change. Trying to add some variety to the place but i feel it still needs a ton more things to make it interesting.

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey man,
    Good start, looks like you have lots of ideas.
    But i suggest finding the exact thing that you want to do, like imagine the scene exactly how you want it to be when its completed and work towards that. It feels like you dont have that concrete idea but more like an overall direction and a bunch of ways it could go. I might have read this wrong tho...
    Another thing, try going a bit out of the box, do something a bit different. Peeps have been doing generic sci fi corridors since the middle ages. And those that stand out, besides being well done, are a bit different.
    Good luck!
  • Onnessa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Hey man,
    Good start, looks like you have lots of ideas.
    But i suggest finding the exact thing that you want to do, like imagine the scene exactly how you want it to be when its completed and work towards that. It feels like you dont have that concrete idea but more like an overall direction and a bunch of ways it could go. I might have read this wrong tho...
    Another thing, try going a bit out of the box, do something a bit different. Peeps have been doing generic sci fi corridors since the middle ages. And those that stand out, besides being well done, are a bit different.
    Good luck!
    Thanks so much. Yeah, you read it as is. I have an overall idea of where i want to take it. What you say about uniqueness yeah. Gonna look into that. I will try sketching out on top of the existing to try and find that final idea. Thanks again, have a great day.
  • Onnessa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so after this little post and the subsequent response by Teodar23 I decided to re plan my whole scene. And here is the thing i managed to make on the last week. After struggling to find something unique doing some sketching on the old scene,started to lean on to something with nature stuff on it.
    Here is a crappy "sketch on top of the old scene) So here is what i said earlier. Wanted some nature to it. Started to develop this idea, moving things around and adding others.

There was a point where i even added some huge ass  roots protruding from the gate as to give the observer an idea of an overgrown ship. Ultimately it didn't come to anything as one night while struggling with working on the scene, a revelation came to me :O. And so this sketch was drafted.

Concept 2 was its name and though truly rough overall, it gave me the direction in which to explore. Little by little it started to take shape.

Here the gratings felt to ornamental-y for the scene as a whole so it had to change later on.
    Sadly and at the same time awesomely, it started to roll at super high pace. So i didn't took many more pictures of the evolution until later on, when i started to play around with light and baking. 

Pre-baked lighting. I only had really done little work with baked lighting and reflections, so this was pretty much a new affair to me.
    Now this looks kinda better with lighting baked. Still needed some more pieces and quirks here and there. So, a couple of days went by.

It was now getting somewhere and i was pretty happy with it. So it kept moving on. To this.

Now remember when i told you about the baking of lighting and reflections was a new thing to me? Well my struggle was made evident here. I couldn't for the life of me understand why there was a light at the background? why was there no reflections on the glass by the flower? where is the blue light on the "incubators" coming from? So i spend some hours analyzing the possible cause and suddenly remembered that usually i would see many reflections probes scattered around scenes. I always though that was weird (you can call me stupid its all right i deserve it then). So i decided to make this adjustment. And suddenly, voila!

Though it still is way long before this can be called a game level, i am happy as it stands right now. I will still be coming back to it, adding, modifying and tweaking. So if you have any advice on which parts to improve. Im open to suggestions. Still need to add some-kind of details to the white panels so they actually look like something useful. Thanks to you for taking the time to read all my blabbering and see you next time on. BOTANICS - Sector 42
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Big improvement after the concept work, feels like it has direction now! The plant modules are looking cool and digging into reflection probes paid off. I think the scene is a bit too repetitive at the moment. All the details are occurring at the same rhythm. For example, try larger, shapes on the floor panels. The composition is very unbalanced at the moment, but that may resolve as the scene evolves. Might want to think about some visual pay off at the end of the corridor. One other little note, the railing on the left looks a little out of place, kind of like a velvet rope instead of something sturdy and functional. Looking forward to seeing your progress.