Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly ENVIRONMENT ART Challenge | March - April (65)

Replies

• Will_Maccabe
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_Maccabe polycounter lvl 3
    I just did a quick 90 minute concept of the steampunk barman painted over the bar render, as it is at the moment. I quite like this direction.

• Will_Maccabe
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's session was about the barman (he is my star prop).  I made him from a base mesh head i made so the process was pretty quick (I still had to model the body). So far I baked the normal maps and started to lay down some colours in the diffuse.  In the next session i will finish the texture including hair cards and make a simple rig to pose him. 

Here he is placed into the scene so I can get a feel... 

And here are the high poly sculpts, done pretty quickly as this is the environment art challenge.

• Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @Will_Maccabe yeah heh I know, shouldve done that, but at the moment just wanted to quickly share what I was doing. Your piece is looking great, not a fan of the bartender though, the clothes and hair look a bit strange. Good addition as an idea anyway!

I finished the environment, please tell me what you think and how to improve! :) 

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @Dinka This is coming along nicely, I might suggest making the roof tiles a bit larger they get noisy from this distance from the object. Lighting is flat at the moment, other than the obvious composition focus there isn't a lot of focal point in the lighting or contrast.

In the concept you can see there is a fairly dark foreground and a bright light source coming from the upper right and leading towards the ship which is almost entirely lit by the interior lights leaving very nice shadows on the exterior hull of the ship and crevices. Toning down your ambient lighting and increasing that interior lighting will bring you a lot closer IMO.

The left most pillar in the background is nice but I would lighten up the area to the immediate background and right of the ship as they are getting dark and don't lend themselves too well to atmospheric perspective.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    looking good guys!
    i procrastinated (still haven't started the actual modeling of the assets) some outer map assets, specifically some domes in the near and far vicinity and also some quick mesas.
    not sure if they fit the overall concept, tho...
  • CluelessDoodler
    Rough blocking of telescope, will be adding details after doing some final tweaks. Hopefully I will be able to finish this by April, critiques and comments are welcome!
  • Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    Thank you for the feedback @zachagreg ! Received similar critiques from others as well, and tried making improvements based on them :) here's what its looking like at the moment. Tested different leaf colors on the trees but havent decided yet what im going to go with. This green is looking better with these color light adjustments in my opinion 

• Will_Maccabe
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will submit my environment at this point. I spent all the time i have available for the challenge and need to move on to other projects. There are some W.I.P. shots earlier in this thread.

Steam Punk Restaurant. 

Concept by Joan Pique Llorens: https://www.artstation.com/joanpiquellorens
    3D Environment by Will Maccabe. https://www.artstation.com/willmaccabe  or my portfolio website:  willmaccabe.art

Software used:  Blender, SketchBook Pro, GIMP
    Rendered in "Eevee", real-time renderer in Blender.

Concept Art by Joan Pique Llorens.

3D Environment by Will Maccabe. 

Animated viewport states with wires...

Other shots of the environment...

• Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @teodar23 the background looks nice!
    @Will_Maccabe Good job on completing the challenge! In your piece the assets look a bit soft in my opinion, and its missing some grunge and texture detail. So for next time, that's something you could improve on :)

Here's an update on my piece, made the trees warmer green to contrast the background, and tried to improve the lights slightly, and added god rays. 

What do you think about it now? Any big issues left? I'm quite happy with it now :)

• riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    @Dinka, this concept is massive amount of work. You did great on this.
  • Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @riceart thank you so much! :) yeah it sure was a lot of work, but kept putting in the hours
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @Dinka I love the changes you've made. Very true to the concept art. The only area I think you may need adjustment is color grading. Just that last touch of color to unify the piece and bring the mood home. The concept has a slight green tint to it. Almost forest green I would play with that and see what you can come up with.

I am seeing the green in the foreground which is good but extending the color grading across the scene would benefit it IMO and give it that fanciful fantasy mood. Now that I look at the foreground also adding some depth of field would help too.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    since its snowing outside i thought i try a different setting...
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    Started my pirate cove yesterday. Blockout phase.

• MagicAnton
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicAnton polycounter lvl 3
    @teodar23 Thank you, your work look amazing too.
    @Dinka Thanks you are the F boss your model look perfect. 

here I continue with the high poly ready for bake

• riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    moar blocking and cleaning

• Łukasz
    Offline / Send Message
    Łukasz greentooth
    Started modeling the knife 

• Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @zachagreg hey, thanks for the feedback, but going for a blueish purple night scene was something I wanted to do, instead of the green color in the concept :)
    @MagicAnton Thank you so much! :) your model is looking amazing too! :)

More progress on blade :)

• riceart
    Offline / Send Message

even more blocking
  • RomainD
    Hi everyone! This is an update of my scene. I decided to take some liberty with the concept.

• Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @riceart good progress already!
    @RomainD the furniture looks great! I dont know if that is the final floor you're using, but in my opinion it's a bit too light. Maybe carpets will break it down in the end, but right now its kinda pulling all the light to itself :)

Sculpting some details

• RomainD
    @Dinka you're right :) For now, I just used some "testing" textures in order to have a better feeling of the scene.

Your glove looks good ;) 
  • Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    thanks RomainD! :) 

Did some baking tests but didnt get a nice result yet, havent baked from one mesh to another many times and got a ton of things to figure out. Also tested how I'd make the grey lines on the glove. Still not properly placed though :)  

I cant tell what the material on the base of the glove is supposed to be, just right next to the big steel ring. Can anyone help me out? The rough wrinkly one

• Łukasz
    Offline / Send Message
    Łukasz greentooth
    Dinka said:
    I cant tell what the material on the base of the glove is supposed to be, just right next to the big steel ring. Can anyone help me out? The rough wrinkly one
    I think it's same fabric as rest of glove but put on some stiff material and with dense stitching, you can also check concept artist's instagram for more references, he has this one modeled https://www.instagram.com/larssowig/

here's my progress

• CluelessDoodler
    Slight update of the telescope progression, with a free model grab from online as a size reference. Hopefully I can finish all the detailing this week, so I can kick start on texturing. Critics are welcome!

• Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @CluelessDoodler I think you should add more geometry to round out the edges on areas that are meant to be curved. Otherwise looks great! :)

Thank you @Łukasz ! Seeing his 3d version of the piece makes it a lot clearer what he meant the material to look like! :) super helpful

Getting close to the finish line with the piece, putting everything properly together and final adjustments tomorrow

• Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    Done! :) sorry for spamming, no one else is posting :(

• Timchih
    My blockout attempt on the main building using perspective match in 3DSMax  to get the correct proportions after my 1st MK1 eyeball attempt was a disaster.  More challenging than I initially  thought.  This has a lot of subtle shape changes.

Wow!! Perspective match!! That's a great way to do it!!
    Still in the blocking stage, and I am struggling to find the right perspective and proportions.
  • Juvena
    Offline / Send Message
    Juvena polycounter lvl 2
    So, I probably make huge mistake to jump into this project , but Im really determined to end it . ( This is my first attempt to make something without tutorial) This is what i have, so far .    

@Dinka ,great work ! I hope that in the end I will got something similar :)
  • CluelessDoodler
    @Dinka Wow, really nice render you have got there, thanks for the critic too! Currently done with modeling phase, next up texturing am hoping that I can do a good job on it! Once again, critics and comments are welcome!
  • alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Hey everyone! Just hopping in to say I love what I'm seeing and you're doing some fantastic work! @Dinka that's an awesome render of the hard surface prop! @CluelessDoodler that's some really clean modeling work and I'm looking forward to seeing it textured! @RomainD looking really solid so far, and it's cool to see some of your own style come through with a reinterpretation of the concept.

With everything going on in the world over the last month, I know some peoples' lives have flipped upside-down and they've had to re-prioritize things. Whatever your situation, whether you have more or less free time, this challenge will still be here, and I'll still be running the May-June challenge as well. :) Everyone hang in there and stay safe!
  • Dinka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinka keyframe
    @Juvena Thank you! Good luck on your project :)
    @CluelessDoodler Thanks! :) You're asset is looking awesome! and as alytlebird said, really looking forward to seeing how you texture it :>
    @alytlebird Thank you! :) Im happy with how it came out, couldve used some wear and grunge at some spots but eh, just gonna leave it like that and focus on new projects. Looking forward to the May-June challenge and see which pieces you decide to include :)
  • AdrianR
    Offline / Send Message
    AdrianR polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys! Here is my update of the ship
    I think the ship is quite finished so it is time to start with the foliage and the rest of the scene!

When I finished the hull of the ship I realised that I was going to need a few wood tiles very similar between them for the rest of the scene so for save time making these textures I made a shader to get diferent wood colors with the same normal map. I use this color variations for the hull, the front of the house and the nest

After that I decided to make a trim texture for those details of wood and metal that are in everywhere.

A lot of work still has to be done but I will try to finish it on time.
    Comments are welcome!
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @AdrianR are you thinking about keeping that close up view of this ship as the main composition of the shot? I like the idea of it honestly shows a different treatment of the concept and changes the tone a bit.
  • AdrianR
    Offline / Send Message
    AdrianR polycounter lvl 5
    @zachagreg Honestly I have not decided the final composition of the scene yet.
    My original idea was make a video that will show all de environment in detail trying keep the "mood" of the original concept of course but  it will depend on whether I can finish the rest of the scene haha
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Fair enough, I would recommend at least setting up a couple of camera angles so that you can focus your composition around those shots. It gives direction and keeps you from going super detailed on everything.
  • Saiblade
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiblade polycounter lvl 12
    Catching this challenge at the tail end but I really like this concept. Going to post what I get done this end of the month, probably finish it outside the challenge time frame. Here's a block out in unreal.

• D3lux
    Offline / Send Message
    D3lux polycounter lvl 3
    Here is my final piece, it was a blast working on this and i had a lot of fun on this challenge,
    if you want more pictures you can find them on my artstation hope you like it :D

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @D3lux This is very well lit, modeled and rendered. Looks awesome, great job. The only places I have criticism is with the roughness values along the blade and some of the larger faces on the handle. It looks a touch too procedural at the moment. Would have like to see some scratching along the blade and variations in where it would be worn down due to sharpening/ usage.

Other than that very solid piece.
  • D3lux
    Offline / Send Message
    D3lux polycounter lvl 3
    @zachagreg  Yeah i used a bunch of grunge maps to break up the roughness values and used a brush to break it up even more but its still looks a bit too procedural hahahahha anyway thanks for the feedback and kind words i appreciate it :D
  • alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Hi everyone! I just posted the new voting thread for our next challenge! Go check it out, drop in your concepts and votes by May 1st when the next challenge begins: https://polycount.com/discussion/219364/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-concept-thread-may-june-66
  • alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Hello again! Our next challenge thread is now LIVE! Hop over to see our 5 concepts for May-June: https://polycount.com/discussion/219364/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-may-june-66

As always, feel free to continue posting updates for this challenge if you continue working on these projects. There was a lot of great work over the last couple months so it'd be great to see a few final updates!
  • icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Sorry for bumping an old thread. This is as far as I got before stepping away for obvious reasons.  I was testing out some materials for the barriers and windows. The force field of the barrier is animated and moves towards the main building. It was made using a simple texture panner. The window material uses a depth field node for the outline and a panner on the hexagon pattern. It's also got a Fresnel effect that makes it opaque at glancing angles. The little rooms use the interior mapping (parallax cube mapping) feature of unreal.

I won't bump this anymore but will continue this project in its own thread once I make some more progress. Hope everyone is safe and doing okay.

• alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    @icegodofhungary No worries about bumping, it's great to see continued progress from you! :) Those curved windows turned out especially nice, I'd love to see a gif or video of a camera moving by there so we can really appreciate the parallax effect you mentioned.
  • Dobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Oooof I'm slow, but I can kind of use Blender now  :#

I've been spinning my wheels and getting nowhere trying to create some cool tiling textures for the building. I think I'm just going to go with a super simple instanced material with solid colors and work harder on the lighting. Next on the list is creating a terrain material to blend asphalt and sand. 

• Dobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Whelp, 8 months later and this baby is almost out of the oven. I had a lot of rust to scrape off  :#
    My final to-do list:
    - Make a small decal sheet for bolts / connectors to break up the large white panels and add some visual interest.
    - Redo asphalt texture so it reads better from a distance and add some cracked patches.
    - Darken and warm up sand texture albedo.
    - Adjust dark glass material (doesn't read at all)
    - Add some cloud cards to get some control over fog and mask out some background geometry.
    - Finish up some lighting and camera tweaks.

If you somehow find this old old thread, I'd appreciate any feedback! 

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Dobbler said:
    Whelp, 8 months later and this baby is almost out of the oven. I had a lot of rust to scrape off  :#
    My final to-do list:
    - Make a small decal sheet for bolts / connectors to break up the large white panels and add some visual interest.
    - Redo asphalt texture so it reads better from a distance and add some cracked patches.
    - Darken and warm up sand texture albedo.
    - Adjust dark glass material (doesn't read at all)
    - Add some cloud cards to get some control over fog and mask out some background geometry.
    - Finish up some lighting and camera tweaks.

If you somehow find this old old thread, I'd appreciate any feedback! 

8 months or not, I love that you kept on going. Mad respect!
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    @Dobbler Credit to you for being so dedicated! Can't wait to see the final product!