Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] The Last Of Us - Laundromat Environment

Hey everyone, My name is Connor Duke, On a quest to get a better understanding of Modeling, Lighting, Texturing and Creating Materials I have decided to create an environment heavily inspired by the following concept art from The Last Of Us

I am just beginning my journey into creating 3D Environments and still have a lot to learn, that being said, please feel free to critique my work as it will allow me to spot any flaws, but ultimately will help me to create a better end result! 

I have begun creating a Blockout for my scene that I am quite pleased with so far! Some would say I am wasting my time putting as much effort into modeling the Blockout, but as someone who is just starting out I find it really helps me to gauge if things are scaled correctly, etc. Most if not all of the assets will be replaced with high-quality versions in the end.

Here are some screenshots from the scene in its current state:

I will continue to update this post with each progression, but please let me know what you think! I hope you have an awesome day! Thank you! :)

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks good so far but for this scene i think that texturing and lighting are more important than modeling.
  • ConnorDuke
    teodar23 said:
    Looks good so far but for this scene i think that texturing and lighting are more important than modeling.
    Thank you :) I agree, getting great, realistic texturing and lighting are two of the things I struggle with the most to be honest. Looking forward to diving into Substance and learning the ropes! 
  • Pirax
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    Hey dude, nice start to this! Are you gonna match the lighting in the reference you found or going to take a twist on it? + I would say that good modelling is the foundation for good texturing and lighting so keep it up!
  • ConnorDuke
    Pirax said:
    Hey dude, nice start to this! Are you gonna match the lighting in the reference you found or going to take a twist on it? + I would say that good modelling is the foundation for good texturing and lighting so keep it up!
    Thank you Pirax! I'm planning on attempting to match the lighting in the concept art as I really like the cold, moody and overcast look  :)  Currently trying to do some hard surface work with the washing machines so I can get some nice bakes but its a real pain trying to get clean results haha
  • ConnorDuke
    I haven't been able to do too much work today however, I have made a start on some of the hard surface stuff such as the Washing Machines etc. High poly hard surface is something I have rarely ever done and its a pain trying to get the topology just right so I don't get pinching and weird shading but here's one of the back panels I have put together. It's still quite simple but since you won't really see this part of the mesh I plan on adding additional details using Substance Painter. Any thoughts? 

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks cool, keep going....
  • ConnorDuke
    Thanks, @pixelpatron Progress is slow as I'm still learning a lot of new skills but I shall keep the updates flowing :)
  • ConnorDuke
    Update on the Washing Machine High Poly - Managed to get most of the hard surface work done for this prop, was definitely a learning process and I'm quite happy with how it turned out! Heres some screenshots of my progress so far: 

It's not perfect and there are a few imperfections here and there but overall as my first real attempt at hard surface high poly work, I think it didn't turn out too bad...

Let me know what you think! :) Have a great day! 
  • ConnorDuke
    Next challenge: Retopo/Baking :# there's a ton of floating geometry so I will most likely have to separate the mesh and explode all of the elements to get clean normals... any tips on baking quality maps with complex objects/floating geo? 
  • kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    That's one sexy looking washing machine i'll tell you that much. Also have you checked Clinton Crumpler's Laundromat scene? Good source for references/inspiration, though he went with a more prestine looking environment.
  • ConnorDuke
    Thanks @kohg! I appreciate the kind words  =) I'm a huge fan of Clinton's work! I absolutely love the lighting on his Laundromat Environment! Of course, I will use that as a reference point when it comes to lighting/texturing etc!
  • AngrySokol
    Offline / Send Message
    AngrySokol polycounter lvl 7
    Wow. I like it! Where are you going to render your environment? 
  • ConnorDuke
    Thanks, @AngrySokol Hope your day is well! I originally planned to use Octane for rendering but have since decided to switch to UE4. :) 
  • Pirax
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    Very clean! Excited to see how you handle baking it, if you do find a good system for it please share! I'm soon to also try baking in blender and I'd be really interested to hear your experiences.