Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][Quickie] Overcast Beach

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ali_Youssef polycounter lvl 6
Howdy fellas !
I decided to do a very quick env during down time at work, where I don't have any modelling programs, so had to resort to megascans and my epic library.
Took around 4-5 hours, excluding waiting time for shaders/loading/light bakes.

Here's a cleaner beach shot

And this cute little cave that was built for the first shot's composition, and ended up accidentally looking quite nice from the outside as well

Now I have a quick barely-on-topic question for y'all, do these kinds of environments (with ready-made assets) fit well in a portfolio of an 'Environment Artist' ?

I haven't updated mine in literal years, and now it's so outdated, yet every time I do a project where "I want to do EVERYTHING from scratch" I end up getting bored 10% through and move on to another project that will also never see the light of day.
Would it be 'informative' enough for whoever's judging the portfolio to look through, if it was say split into quick environments like this one, and separate standalone models (ones that can take weeks to create) ?

Cheers !

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I dont know if this resonates with recruiters or whatever but whenever i see an environment that is mostly megascans or other marketplace assets i think that this is just a 'doodle', a quickie like you said. Not a real piece of work worthy of a mentioning in ones portfolio. I dont work in the industry so i dont know this to be true, but i read that sometimes assets are purchased and used in a production, so an environment artist could use said assets, but its only to speed up a bit his work. He doesnt rely entirely on them or else his job would be obsolete. A level designer could do his job, buying assets online and placing them in the editor to create a level.
    As i said, you could use them to practice something like lighting or mood. Or to prototype a game / map idea...