Home Marmoset

Extra gloss in marmoset with Global Illumination??

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I noticed when I put my model into Marmoset with my Substance Painter maps and turn on Global Illumination, the roughness value goes way off(looks very shiny, almost wet). This has never happened to any of my models before. @EarthQuake any help would be appreciated  =)

This is with no render settings applied:

This is with Global illumination on:

And the settings:

Could the scale of my model be too small? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Internal refraction is used for gems / and glass isn't it?
    I'd start there, usually when i have similar issues or any, i start playing with everything, i start with turning every option down to 0 except the lights*+*, Albedo , so what ever can be turned down is how i debug the issues.
    Nice pump so far though.

Sry if this is not very helpful i figured mentioning what i do with settings might generate faster results for you and others in waiting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the images here it looks like the glossiness is unchanged - by that I mean how wide the specular highlights are.

I think what you may be seeing here is a bit of an optical illusion where darker surfaces, with the same reflectivity, will appear more reflective than lighter surfaces. For instance, if you create two spheres, one with a near-black albedo, and another with a near-white albedo, and give them the same gloss and reflectivity (let's say 4% or metalness = 0), the black sphere will appear to be more reflective.

This is likely compounded by your GI settings, it looks like you've set Brightness to 0.426, or about half the default value. So instead of bouncing a red color where the various forms meet, it's getting multiplied and acting as more of a dark occlusion than global illumination.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    Looking at the images here it looks like the glossiness is unchanged - by that I mean how wide the specular highlights are.

I think what you may be seeing here is a bit of an optical illusion where darker surfaces, with the same reflectivity, will appear more reflective than lighter surfaces. For instance, if you create two spheres, one with a near-black albedo, and another with a near-white albedo, and give them the same gloss and reflectivity (let's say 4% or metalness = 0), the black sphere will appear to be more reflective.

This is likely compounded by your GI settings, it looks like you've set Brightness to 0.426, or about half the default value. So instead of bouncing a red color where the various forms meet, it's getting multiplied and acting as more of a dark occlusion than global illumination.
    Thanks for that, always helpful. You are right, I also managed to mitigate it by adding a few more lights.