Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Wyvern - looking for critique

Carrath
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Carrath polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone :)

I am working on my very first wyvern and am currently unsure about the anatomy. Some help, critique and tips would be very nice and more than welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

and the original image of course :) (not mine)

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This is looking cool! I'm liking the definition of the leg anatomy, but you're missing any muscle definition on the chest, back and neck.
  • Carrath
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks :) It is a really early stage and the parts you mentioned are the ones why I am posting this. Obviously and sadly there a no real dragons and therefore no real anatomy references. I guess I will look for more references of birds.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    We all came from a common ancestor. So the anatomy between a cow, a lizard, and an ostrich isn't so different.

What I'm saying is, you can look at lizards, alligators, horses, and probably fifty other critters and start to get an idea where the bones are on each, and then what muscles connect between the bones to make them move.

Then for a dragon, you can imagine how it is going to be moving in your fantasy. Your example has some big hind legs, so maybe he runs and jumps as much as he flies. So look for animals that also have powerful hind legs. It helps to know the names of the big muscles and bones. That way you can identify, as an example, the quadriceps in one animal and compare it to the same in another animal. That will tell you a lot about it's locomotion.

Cool blockout so far. I think your wings might be a bit too small. It's hard to tell from the reference because they are folded, but they feel too small to me. Especially to lift such big legs.
  • Carrath
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I thought to complicated. However your comment helped me, thank you :)

So here is an update. I am not really happy with the legs and rips but I will keep working on this as soon as possible. Never the less it's better than before :D  Oh and I think you are right with the wings so I changed them too but maybe they are still to small.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Nice! I would inflate the muscles on his upper back a bit.
  • Carrath
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update. I smoothed everything out, worked on the muscles and added more details to the wings.

I hope the muscles of his back are better now :)

• Carrath
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly found some time to work on it again :)

• Sora123
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 polycounter lvl 5
    Starting to look good! I found this video a while agon on youtube zbrush summit about darksouls maybi there is something intresting for you to.
    It is in japanese so if you turn on captations it can be hard to follow but i hope you can get someting out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tpoAxDg9Y&t=2022s
  • Carrath
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's been a while but I wanted to show you guys an update :)
    @Sora123 I have watched the video and it showed me a possibility of how to make the scales in a faster way but I found another workflow that gave me a result i liked more. Nevertheless it's an interesting video even tho I couldn't understand a word and there where no subtitles :D  thank you for posting it :)