Home Technical Talk

3DSMax UV Packing Problem

xMIDIMA
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
xMIDIMA node
Hello :)

I'm kinda new to UV unwrapping so I'd like to have your help here.

So, I unwrapped all my individual pieces, collapsed all the pieces together and applied an UVW unwrap modifier to the collapsed object. Selected all the UV islands, rescaled them, and when I go and use the Pack: Custom button, for some odd reason it doesnt spread the UVs on the little square, it kind of alligns them on the bottom and last side, leaving A LOT of unused space in the middle, right and up areas.

I've done it before where it packed everything perfectly, I just can't figure out what I did wrong this time for this to be happening.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You need to have the Rescale checkbox enabled when using pack if you want the objects scaled to fit the entire space.
  • xMIDIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xMIDIMA node
    I have it selected, that's why I'm confused
  • xMIDIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xMIDIMA node
    PolyHertz said:
    You need to have the Rescale checkbox enabled when using pack if you want the objects scaled to fit the entire space.
    I have it selected, that's why I'm confused

• xMIDIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xMIDIMA node
    PolyHertz said:

This is what happens
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey xMIDIMA,

It probably has a lot to do with the long UV parts at the bottom; Max will prioritize and use the full extend of your UV space to place the longest UV part in the best location. All other smaller parts are used to fill in the blank space. But because the bottom part is so long and thin there's a lot of blank and not a lot of smaller parts to optimally fill your UV space.

I'd suggest breaking the longer/larger parts and try with different packing modes (non-convex, recursive). Personally, I'll fix and adjust my own UV layouts manually for better results. Hope it helps.
  • xMIDIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xMIDIMA node
    Dihemi said:
    Hey xMIDIMA,

It probably has a lot to do with the long UV parts at the bottom; Max will prioritize and use the full extend of your UV space to place the longest UV part in the best location. All other smaller parts are used to fill in the blank space. But because the bottom part is so long and thin there's a lot of blank and not a lot of smaller parts to optimally fill your UV space.

I'd suggest breaking the longer/larger parts and try with different packing modes (non-convex, recursive). Personally, I'll fix and adjust my own UV layouts manually for better results. Hope it helps.
    Yep, looks like that was the problem.. thank you so much man, appreciated :)