Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Subway Interior

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Lewis_kennedy polygon
One of the current personal projects I'm working on is a Subway interior, I decided to work on this project to try to improve my texture skills, for this I thought a more gritty horrorish like look would be suitable, since there would need to be a higher level of detail, the project is already very far along already, would appreciate any feedback on how it looks and what could be improved.

Front view of the interior of the Subway Car.

Started modelling the basics, e.g walls, seats, doors. will add further details to scatter around the scene such as newspapers, cans and other things.

Wireframe Front View

I've tried to keep the wireframes simple and clean.

Here's the first unreal engine render, the only things textured at this point were the floor, cieling and doors. I kept the area well lit for now to see all the detail.

Textured the majority of assets now, used a tartan like pattern for the seats to further add detail, so far I've went with a high level of grime and dirt for the environment, not quite sure about the walls so far, I think they're textures will need to be reworked. also I'll need to make fake ads for the posters and the ad space above the walls.

added further supports to hold onto, I think the red covers will need further wear and tear to fit the setting, a blue tint was added to the shadows to improve the atmosphere and the emissiveness of the lights have been toned down to look more gritty.

the poles look to disconnected from the ground, there's not enough support so far so I'll need to add more connecting them like a metal sheet and screws, leather straps to hold will also be added to the side holds for more detail.

I'll be adjusting lighting as well such as more light pouring in from the windows and attempt a flickering affect to the lights inside, also making them less consistently lit.

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    good start!
    if you want some feedback i suggest you tone down the dirt on everything or make it more... deliberate. right now it looks like a team of rugby players just walked in all covered in mud and started to do the polka dance.
    green - the scratches are all over the bent surfaces which is not how it works in real life; also, the scale is very large.
    red - there is a visible texture seam on the metal bar.
    blue - objects have sharp edges; that's a no-no.
    orange - need moar polys.
  • DarkBladeNemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkBladeNemo polycounter lvl 2
    I agree with everything @teodar23 says. A lot of the scene is being lost with what seems to be a single material slapped on and calling it a day. For instance the doors, you have essentially metal for the door itself, rubber for the parts in between the doors and I assume plastic/ metal for the window frames. Try to make those look more apparent but also blend more naturally. Each piece has to be able to hold it's own when evaluated on it's own otherwise the entire scene will just fall apart.

As for the dirt tone it way down maybe even paint it on manually. If you look at the chairs you can clearly see them repeat on the same spots. Try and get some more variation in those. This should also make the overall scene look a lot less noisy.

I think spending more time on the texture work will do this scene a lot of justice.

Other than that it's looking really good. Keep it up.
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    teodar23 said:
    good start!
    if you want some feedback i suggest you tone down the dirt on everything or make it more... deliberate. right now it looks like a team of rugby players just walked in all covered in mud and started to do the polka dance.
    green - the scratches are all over the bent surfaces which is not how it works in real life; also, the scale is very large.
    red - there is a visible texture seam on the metal bar.
    blue - objects have sharp edges; that's a no-no.
    orange - need moar polys.
    Thanks, yeah I should tone the dirt down, the scratches were meant to look like as if they were done manually, like someone scratching something like a key or something sharp on them but it should be easy to rework them, wanted the red to look like it was pealing away but you're right it does look more like a seam with how sharp it is, thanks for pointing out the polycount for the metal doors, was unsure if I'd made it smooth enough for that.
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    I agree with everything @teodar23 says. A lot of the scene is being lost with what seems to be a single material slapped on and calling it a day. For instance the doors, you have essentially metal for the door itself, rubber for the parts in between the doors and I assume plastic/ metal for the window frames. Try to make those look more apparent but also blend more naturally. Each piece has to be able to hold it's own when evaluated on it's own otherwise the entire scene will just fall apart.

As for the dirt tone it way down maybe even paint it on manually. If you look at the chairs you can clearly see them repeat on the same spots. Try and get some more variation in those. This should also make the overall scene look a lot less noisy.

I think spending more time on the texture work will do this scene a lot of justice.

Other than that it's looking really good. Keep it up.
    I plan on making at least 3 different materials for the chairs, I've only done one so far so I could get a basic feel for the look of the environment, also yeah you're right I've overdone the dirt too much, less of it should provide more of the effect I want.
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    Update.
    I've began toning down the amount of dirt in the scene and changing the textures.

I've greatly toned down the dirt on the seats and made 2 different textures for the seats so far so they won't repeat as much, will need to fix the seam though. the dirt and wear are now more in the edges of the seats now

also increased the polycount on the doors so the windows would be more rounded and less jagged edged. removed the carpeted floor and made it more bare, the walls are now a more yellowish simple tone.

I'm thinking about toning down the red and making it a more duller tone, will also be adding scarps of paper, newspapers drink cans and such to the environment to make it less empty.