Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on 3D Modeling Portfolio

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi, I am a recent graduate. I am currently working on my art and portfolio to get a job in the industry, so I would really appreciate some feedback on what I have so far. I want to work mainly on stylized characters. Please don't hold back, any comments or insight help! Thank you so much to anybody for taking the time to look at my portfolio and reply!
https://nathalieh.artstation.com/

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Cute art! For the dog, I would be weary of blending the brown and white fur so softly. It looks like you've used the blur tool and it doesn't really work well with fur colour in this instance. It looks like the mouth cannot open, which would prevent the model from working. The chipmunk is super cool! The horse is neat as well, but would be 10x better wit ha full body, retopo, textured.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The thumbnail for your first piece is very compressed and immediately put me off. It's a decent start at showing your sculpting/hipoly skills, but theres nothing here to show that you can bake, unwrap, or texture the models for games so that should proably be your next focus. 

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The thumbnail for your first piece is very compressed [...]

Seconded-- to fix this, make sure you put your video last (or at least not first), or use a custom thumbnail.

Biggest fan of the dog, would love to see some game-res work like that all finished up!

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Really lovely and cute work.

However, I think you can improve some of your surfacing. Like for example the iris of your dog's eye isn't perfectly round. It's most apparent on the horse;
    There's a lot of bulges and intersections that are a bit icky. Not everything has to be perfect, but your work mostly consist of surfacing, so you should take extra care to make it as perfect as possible. (But if the horse is your oldest work it's clear you're already improving, seeing the dog and chipmunk.) Keep up the good work nonetheless. :)

Edit: typo.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I think that you should start focusing on creating a bit more complex stylized characters, right now both characters have very basic textures which is fine but you want to show recruiters etc that you also poses more advanced stylized texturing techniques, take a look at stuff like this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EdEn0
  • nhernand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much to everyone for your comments! They are extremely helpful. And thank you for all your words of encouragement.

@Lucas Annunziata and @BagelHero - Thank you, I'll be sure to fix the thumbnail. I wasn't really sure why it looked like that or how to fix it.

@Dihemi - Yes, the horse is my oldest work. I have been improving, but now I know where to focus more. Thank you!

@Ashervisalis and @Zi0 Thank you! I'm working on a more complex character with more complex textures and that would be ready to animate or use in a game.