Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Supernatural Monitor, in the vein of the "New Weird" genre

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Götterfunke polycounter lvl 2
Started as an imaginary terminal for the Sketchfab october challenge, I had to abandon the project due to time problem - but could pick it up again recently!
Remodeled the base and turned the terminal into a monitor, to get more emphasize on the screen. Also got inspired by the fabulous game Control to give it a nice supernatural touch. Critique welcome!

Current iteration:

Still experimenting with light and color. The materials are WIP, as I want to handpaint this thing. Gonna add a few more detailes and then head to baking.

I'm thinking about translate the antenna distortions and the screen effect to a shader in Unity, but still have a static version for my Sketchfab.

Replies

• Götterfunke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The road so far:

^ Started with this idea of an ~ 60s inspired terminal, based on an old idea of mine. At that time I was not sure about the style direction.

^ Later iterations made the bread box more slicker, and gave it antennas. The mechanism for the screen made it rather bulky, when unfolded.

^ This was the last iteration, before I scrapped most of it. Was not happy with the "inside" of the model, and found it somewhat ugly when opened up.

^ So this was the new concept!
    Transformed it into a portable monitor, and wanted to make it - weirder! Yes. There was still this idea about a shutter mechanic, which I scrapped later for a more defined shape.

^ multiple color concepts! Still not sure.
  • Götterfunke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's been a while!

Finally baked the thing, added some animations and base colors and experimented with shaders. Next step would be painting this thing. :)
  • Debaicheron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Debaicheron polycounter lvl 10
    This is one of the most original concepts I've seen on here! It looks like a mix of a radiator fan and a Jetson's googie tv. The model and material are good, but the animation is stellar! I like the outgoing waves of outlines out of the screen, the sine distortion on the aerial, and the detail of the papers wafting lightly... But I LOVE the stepped iris-like rotation of the screen fractal! It looks like it's trying to focus itself on some remote phenomenon. Outstanding work!  
  • Götterfunke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :) I always like to put in a few smalish animations to give my things a little bit more life.
  • Götterfunke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally painted all the textures and put it up neatly in Unity. :) I think I can mostly call it done, maybe just a few more edits to composition and colors.
  • Götterfunke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

And here's a GIF of in-motion