Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner 3D Artist looking for portfolio review

Hello all, I am a recent college graduate(May 2019) trying to get my career started as a 3D artist, really anything to get me started. I've been told to add more variety to my portfolio such as assets and hard surface materials and my end goal is to be a character artist. I have no professional experience and have been looking all over for entry level positions. My portfolio link is https://tariqharr.artstation.com/. Please let me know what I can improve, what I am doing right or what is downright terrible lol. I look forward to hearing feedback.

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, I don't want to call anything terrible as that is just not constructive at all.  What I will say is that your work is far from industry acceptable standards.  First off, what is your goal as a character artist?  high res film?  games?  collectible statues?  These all carry different requirements and thus your folio will need to be curated to whichever you focus on.  Even within character art for say, games, you probably want to decide if you want to do stylized vs realistic or if you have a specific game company you want to end up at.  Once you are focused, it becomes easier to decide what to create for your folio.  Let's say, you want to do more realistic game res characters.  You can pretty much choose any character artist you look up to and the goal is to achieve a similar quality of art as them.  You probably won't come close in your first try but you will with each new character you make.  What I see right now in your folio is just not going to get you an entry level job.  It is all unfinished and feels very rough.  Your anatomy knowledge needs a lot of work.  Here is someone that I would consider a very strong Jr Character Artist: https://www.artstation.com/rose-moth.  She demonstrates a strong sense of proportion and anatomy.  She displays a solid foundation of sculpting, modeling, texturing, and rendering abilities.  This is the bar you want to hit.  I think she is still looking for a job but I have no doubt she will find one soon.  This can be an overwhelming process so start simple.  Don't pick a character that is too complex.  But pick something that is interesting...not like a dude in a tshirt.  Have various materials to show off in the texturing phase.  Post here, on a lot of social media accounts and try to get good feedback along the way.  Don't rush...get each step right starting with proper anatomy and proportion.  good luck!
  • HaTariq
    First off thank you for the response and all the advice I'll have keep working to get my characters to industry standard. This is my first time posting here so now that I have a place where I know I can get honest feedback expect to see/hear a lot from me. Thank you again 
  • Lewis_kennedy
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    first off I'd say you need more original content, but it might be a good idea to do some study pieces, find pictures of a real person and try and recreate their head for example as a practice piece, also you may wanna try and make your detail more sharp, the edges and sculpted detail on your characters are to rounded.
  • HaTariq
    first off I'd say you need more original content, but it might be a good idea to do some study pieces, find pictures of a real person and try and recreate their head for example as a practice piece, also you may wanna try and make your detail more sharp, the edges and sculpted detail on your characters are to rounded.
    thanks for the feedback, I've started daily speedsculpts in order to learn proportions and such I plan on posting some soon for more critiques