Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Mixer (Tilling Textures) adjusting Height/Displacement for better blending.

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hello all,

I've just started out with  Mixer and doing some testing with some tilling textures i have made.

I would like to have my sand texture blend more into my metal panneling this is done in ue4
using vertex painting (not mixer). I have tested with a cobbelstone texture I downloaded and it works perfect.

So I know the problem lies in my height texture why it won't blend nicely. How do i adjust
this in mixer and were in the layer stack do I need to fix this? Or do I need to adjust more things to get blend better?

Do you fix this in Displacement layer? and how? as you  can see in my Unreal screenshot the sand doesn't blend nicely into my metal panneling.

Hope to hear from you all.

Thanks in advanced. Decorix

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    All you need to do is use height-based blending instead of blending with pure alpha values. Something like this might help: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/content-creation/30954-simplest-setup-for-texture-blend-based-on-height-angle
  • decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Synaesthesia,

Thanks for you're help. Its not a height-based blending. The material works perfect in unreal and is setup correctly. As soon as I swap out
    my textures for the metal panneling I get the harsblending. Someone else already pointed out that its a height texture thing and that is causing it not to blend nicely with my sand. I also tried adjusting the height on each layer.  See my screenshot with working cobblestone texture not created in mixer.

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You need to add the heightmap for the metal material into your surface for it to be taken into account during height-based blending. This would be done in the material. The white artifacting you're getting is unavoidable as it's a result of metalness transitioning over to non-metalness. The only way to remove that would be to not blend a metal texture into a non-metal texture to begin with. It would need to be a separate model for it to work without white artifacts.
  • decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Synaesthesia,  Thanks again for you're help. Loving Mixer :-) I realised that I was building up my layer stack the wrong way in the HeightLayer... I was using additional layers for Bolts and other things to constructed my height layer. Guess the height layer consist of only one layer and then you use this for other layering effects. I must say Chris Evans has and deserves alot of credit. Hope this guy is going to help out on more coming mixer content.. Also the BrushedSteel didn't help. I have solved the problem and look forward sending you my final piece :-) Thanks so much. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Glad to hear it - cheers!
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Just a heads up to this as well for future consideration, it looks like across that stone material you are still getting the linear falloff from your material. It is less noticeable for two reasons though; one is the texture is less uniform and has larger shapes to add visual breakup even though I don't believe it is actually breaking up the blend. Two that stone material doesn't have metalness on it. Metalness falloff is much more apparent because when you start to get grey metallic values the lights play with surfaces in a strange way and can make surfaces kind glow. Which is what I am seeing on your images.

If you fixed the problem then all is good but just food for thought.
  • decorix
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, thanks for you're tips/advice. Well I turned of the BrushedSteel Metal that comes from  megscans lib. that causes the metal glow arround the edges as you said. I'm creating my materials in Mixer I have just started with this tool. Do you perhaps know how I coud solve it? Thanks.