Home General Discussion

What is your favorite, Go-to HDRI skybox for presenting your Artwork?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
e_manual polycounter lvl 3
What is your Go-to HDRI skybox that you prefer, could come by default from software e.g marmoset or something you have downloaded. 

Replies

• Alex_J
  • another caveman
  • captainumbrella
  • aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    The whole idea of HDRI necessity  to get a nice realistic lighting came from a fact that many 3d graphics programmers and  technical "artists"  are a bit blind  and don't see what any regular artist just always see and could setup at once without any special help .

And kind of neglect another  fact that any HDRI lighting is correct only for an exact place and its very specific surroundings.   

So using any HDRI box for something generic  rendered against a  simple flat color or gradient background  is actually very unrealistic.   

I usually just use some spherical cam render of an artificial generic scene or just paint that damn HDR myself

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I can agree with the thought of hdris beign very specific to a place with its conditions. Though, I cant agree with the gradients, and painting the skylight cubemaps :D 
  • EarthQuake
    gnoop said:
    The whole idea of HDRI necessity  to get a nice realistic lighting came from a fact that many 3d graphics programmers and  technical "artists"  are a bit blind  and don't see what any regular artist just always see and could setup at once without any special help .

And kind of neglect another  fact that any HDRI lighting is correct only for an exact place and its very specific surroundings.   

So using any HDRI box for something generic  rendered against a  simple flat color or gradient background  is actually very unrealistic.   

I usually just use some spherical cam render of an artificial generic scene or just paint that damn HDR myself

HDRI lighting became prevalent due to its use in film - HDRI panoramas were (are) captured to re-light special effects segments so the rendering artists could match the lighting to the live footage. This is very difficult to do by hand with traditional lighting tools. This has nothing to do with programmers or TAs being "blind".

Now, how important matching lighting to a real world environment is for your average portfolio is certainly debatable. But HDRI images offer a quick and easy way to experiment with many different lighting styles. HDRIs can be blended with direct lights for more control as well.

Of course, if you're after something very specific, you can create it yourself. But it's more than a little rediculous to suggest that anyone who isn't painting their HDRIs by hand is doing it wrong. 

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also, try baking your own in engine HDRIs if you want to see what your latest WIP asset will look like in your game environments. Swap between a few of them while still working in apps like Substance Painter. 
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    I specifically need HDRIs which are good for baking light, so I've taken to making my own ones with Substance Designer. Heartily recommend giving that a go some time if there's anything specific you want to achieve!

Aside from that Earthquake's panos for Marmoset are really good ;)