Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP | Character design inspired by Cyberpunk 2077 (and many many many others)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Davidsousa polycounter lvl 4
Hi all,

Project quick brief:

I started this personal project a while ago when a lot of new games were announced earlier this year and felt very inspire to design my own character.
I started by gathering as many references as I could to have a nice idea of what this character will look like. For this piece, I want to make a explorer/passive type of character so fighting isn't his best quality ( he probably won't have a big ass gun or any deadly weapon) but brainy he certainly is. He is crafty and very resourceful.
I'm still adding new references every now and then to my pureref sheet but this is how it looks like today. Since it's a very big file I had to compress it a bit so you probably won't be able to see every image.

Replies

• Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a few screenshot form early blockouts I did for this character and a quick paint over I did to feel the character a bit more ( I suck at drawing). At this point things were super rough and basic but I just wanted to get started with it and define volumes and proportions.

• Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick look how the character looks today:

I will keep posting more early sculpt screenshots and break it down a bit more.
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    The style and look of this guy is great, @Davidsousa! I really like how you approached his face and vest. Is that recent render using one of the ZBro's material caps? Looking forward to seeing more updates with this dude!
  • Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dGreenberg thanks 😄 
    For this render I just used the basic material and then I composed all the passes ( bpr render, Ao, Shadows and lights) in Photoshop.
    Hope that helps!
    -D
  • Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here's the progress I did for the head.

In the first iterations of the face I was going more for a evil looking guy and with time  I shifted towards a more friendly and hero type because that's how sci-fi Indiana Jones would look like B)
    I've been focusing a lot more in the rest of the body and haven't touched on its head for a long time. At this stage im not too worried about the head because I already have a good feeling about its head features.

• Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,
    Just a quick update of what I did lately:
    Since I already had the all body blocked out I decided to cut the character in two and start focusing more in the upper body bits (still haven't touched in the face).

• Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,
    It's been a while and I wanted to share some more progress on this character. So far the the upper body bits are nearly locked down. The hands, hair and the little companion on his back still need a bit of work/re-design.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Cyberpunk ftw!

I like how this turns out. 
    My main crit atm would be that the folds of the jacket are kind of falling the wrong direction. Except you plan on putting a belt or strap or something above the waist which would cause the ends to be pushed back.
    Even then the fold on his right side give the material a sturdier look then on the other side which serves the type of jacket more imo.

But it's not such a big thing.. keep it going! :)
  • Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin Thanks for the feedback! I completely agree with you especially on his left side where the folds are going everywhere and makes the material feel less rigid.  It's really easy to get lost in the folds when you are hand sculpting them.  
    Thanks!
  • Davidsousa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since haven't updated my post so here it goes. 
    I did a lot  of changes the overall design of the character and there was a point where I kept changing stuff over and over but now I finally reached a point where I am happy with the design direction and soon will call the high poly finished.

This is a higher render I did with a bit of texture in top to get the feeling of the character.

3 view  clay renders

Any crits, ideas just shoot them out! They are appreciated.

D

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    this is looking pretty good! Cant wait to see where you take this
  • Orr_Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orr_Malus triangle
    I love the whole exaggerated inflated look where each piece of clothing pops. I think overall shape > detail. Having said this the wrist thing doesn't fit in with the rest of the character scale wise. It's too small and detailed compared with the straps of his jetpack thing. Other parts suffer from this as well, like how the metal from the goggles is significantly thinner compared to the leather thickness. Same goes for the hoodie except it's too thick.

I would use the straps as a reference for all the other parts.