Home Technical Talk

Zbrush, I suck at it, but i need help with this.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys,

I need to model some character for a project of mine, a male and female.
This is the reference.

The male turned out ok. This is him in UE4 (eyes are bad, i know).

But I'm really struggling with the female hair.
I'm trying to make it in zbrush, but I have almost no clue on how to start properly, I'm not very familiarized with zbrush tools, but I have a basic understanding. I don't know if I should start with a sphere directly into zbrush , or try to block something inside Maya (I tried, it was a mess) and than import to zbrush. I don't know how to approach those sharp bangs or how to extrude the sides do make that part goes down on the sides...

Looking at some youtube tutorials like this one pushed me forward a bit, but is not going good. 
I really appreciate any help or advice on how to get this hair done.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't know if I should start with a sphere directly into zbrush , or try to block something inside Maya (I tried, it was a mess) and than import to zbrush. I don't know how to approach those sharp bangs or how to extrude the sides do make that part goes down on the sides...

All roads lead to Rome. You can take the method you're more comfortable with, or experiment to try and learn a new one. 

If I were doing it in zbrush only, I'd just work with a few (very) lowpoly spheres. You can turn dynamic subdivision on so that they'll appear more rounded and smooth, but still have a limited number of points for you to manipulate (this will make life easier). Then you just need to mash them together to get the overall shapes you need, merge them together (boolean or dynamesh) and then retopologize to get your final topology for the game. The style seems simple enough not to worry about individual strands. 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dunno. Using zB for a character like this is like taking a nuke to a knife fight. Alternatively you could just model and sculpt this in a soft like blender. In zb just use the model brush, knock out the basic form, subdivide and refine with the sculpt tools.