Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Gnoll Pack Lord

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Domslice polycounter lvl 8
TLDR: It's a real-time Gnoll character - C&C is most welcome!

Inspired by the Gnoll concept in the 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual. I was inspired by the lore behind these monsters, along with their design, a ferocious demon-spawned-humanoid-animal. 

He will be built for game/real-time environment. Looking to maintain a strict timeline and schedule. As of this first posting I've spent approximately a week so far. I'd like to have it completed in a month, so hopefully before January's end. Wish me luck, looking forward to having you Polycounters on the adventure. 

Refined secondary forms, began detailing - 12/27/2019

Going in to 2020 with new energy and determination. Feels good to get right to work. 

Third Block pass - 12/27/2019

Hope everyone had a great Christmas break! I added more secondary components - pauldrons, string-of-ears, sword, glaive, etc.  Added skirt and hair geo as place holder for cards. Hopefully be going into secondary forms by end of the week.

Second Block pass - 12/23/2019

First Block pass - 12/15/2019

Concept & Mood board

Replies

• Domslice
    Offline / Send Message
    01/09/2020 - Blocking the props

I like that gnolls are battlefield scavengers, and that they take the spoils of their victories. This lends flexibility in choosing the them of the weapons, as they could have conceivably been taken from very different enemies.

• Domslice
    Offline / Send Message

Slowly climbing my way out of retopo-hell.  Happy to have gotten everything flowing and water-tight finally. The model currently sits at just over 16k Tris, without additional props.  Here's the first bake pass of the body at one 2k resolution map.
  • Domslice
    Offline / Send Message

Fixing bake errors continues. Quite a few tweaks to be made on the belt and sash. The torso is coming out great for the most part, just a few spots where fabric meets skin need a fix. 

Tossed into Marmoset with a quick 3-point setup to begin look dev.
  • Domslice
    Offline / Send Message

Wasn't terribly satisfied with the level of detail so I went back and worked up the sculpt some more. Added wrinkles, improved fabric, among other tweaks.