Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shotgun project WIP - Looking for feedback

Hello Polycount! I'm currently working on a mossberg 590 mag fed shotgun and looking for feedback on my progress so far.

This is the high poly model:

I have begun working on the low poly and decided to give the magazine, scope, flashlight and shotgun one texture set each.
The magazine and scope low poly models are done and the textures currently look like this:

My two main problems with the scope at the moment are 1: the plastic on the back looks a bit leathery or off even though it is the same material as the front or could it just be the lighting? And 2: I can't get the roughness value on the glass transferred from Substance Painter to Marmoset Toolbag. The glass material is an opacity mask applied in the Transparency tab of the material in Toolbag.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Thimpe said:The glass material is an opacity mask applied in the Transparency tab of the material in Toolbag.
    Did you add in some gloss to the glass? maybe play with Anisotropic setting to add shimmery shines to the glass also.  Look around for the Chippes paint guide or material on gumroad i think and that might help with the look of the sight and color.  I.e. no real scratched chipped detailing there.  I am assuming you are following the getting started with substance painter videos?
    As they have this very tutorial on this very subject.
    Hope that helps.
  • Thimpe
    Hey, there were some good tips in the video, I am familiar with some of their videos from before but somehow it didn't cross my mind to look them up on youtube. I worked a bit more on the scope, by raising the opacity level and enabling the "dither" function in Toolbag I got the roughness variation to work on the glass material. I also added more wear to the scope and this is what it currently looks like:

And the flashlight:

• Thimpe
    I finished the LP version of the shotgun and this is what it currently looks like with textures:

I would appreciate any feedback on what to improve before I start merging all the objects into one scene.
  • Thimpe
    Hey!
    After merging all the objects in one scene I started tweaking the textures a bit and begun working on the main renders and this is what I have.
    Any feedback is appreciated!

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    the bake is pretty sharp, maybe a bit much for realtime, but seems good overall

The scope feels like super "lowpoly" and blocky, did you do your own design there? It looks pretty out of place against the realistic rest
    Try follow a reference for that one

The base materials seems good but now you gotta start on the real texturing : P
    Edge definition, large scale and medium scale wear and details, personalization, that is 80% of a good realtime texture. This right now is not wrong at all but only the start.
  • Thimpe
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!
    Regarding the scope it is actually modeled off a reference

But I get what you're saying in that it feels off. I don't know if it's my materials or the lighting or a combination of both. I'm finding it hard to light the shotgun without overexposing the scope. 
    I agree with the personalization thing, I've been worried about overdoing the wear and tear but right now as you say there could be more interesting things in the textures.

• Thimpe
    Here is an update of what the shotgun currently looks like. I worked on the lighting and also added more wear details to the textures, as usual feedback is appreciated.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    That magazine looks crazy good.
    About the proportions, i think the barrels are a bit too skinny, but too late now i guess.