Home Technical Talk

Simple character modeling

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello, I am new in 3D modeling world. I have a Reference image, I need that for a personal project. But I am having So much difficulties.  Z brush or blender i cant make the Base mesh. After whole week i have '0' progress. Please anyone out there will help me creating the base? Please ! Please ! .
( I just have this image for Reference).

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Show some screenshots of your attempt, so we can offer advice.
  • corymeyer
    Offline / Send Message
    corymeyer polycounter lvl 6
    Here are a few pieces of general modeling advice:

Start simple, like modeling a cup, and gradually model more complex things. Since you are new and are running into many difficulties, it suggests a character may be too complex for your skill level. I'm not saying give up, but it's important to not bite off more than you can chew.

Dynamic tesselation (Sculptris Pro in ZBrush and Dyntopo in Blender) makes it easier to build base meshes.

It's often easier to model parts in separate subtools/meshes and then merge when necessary.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    corymeyer said:
    Here are a few pieces of general modeling advice:

Start simple, like modeling a cup, and gradually model more complex things. Since you are new and are running into many difficulties, it suggests a character may be too complex for your skill level. I'm not saying give up, but it's important to not bite off more than you can chew.

Dynamic tesselation (Sculptris Pro in ZBrush and Dyntopo in Blender) makes it easier to build base meshes.

It's often easier to model parts in separate subtools/meshes and then merge when necessary.

Yeah a big +1 to the above advice. Google and youtube are your friends. zBrush is probably a bit much for the character in your post. If you enter Blender modelling into google you will get a whole bunch of videos for beginners. That is really how all of us started.
  • jasonmir83
    i did so far, :(  . I know its not close enough. What i am missing ? please!

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think you did pretty good!

Your silhouette isn't as clean, simple, and precise as the reference. It's a little more realistic because you have some wobbliness in it, instead of the perfect curves in the 2d cartoon version.

I think getting precise curvature like that will be very difficult if you are sculpting. For that reason, if I was making this model, I think I would try to do it with block modeling techniques. Try to use the minimum amount of edge loops to get the most basic forms, then probably with just a subdivision or two you should be there.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    An example.

This method will just making getting the shape much faster and easier. Also no need to retopo or anything at the end. You simply build your optimized game mesh from the start.

This isn't the most efficient workflow for next-gen characters, but for simpler things a lot of times this is my go-to workflow.

A cube:

Smooth 1 time, use symmetry and scooch vertices, add another smooth.... You can select entire edge loops, use scale + soft select, and work that way too. That will make it more like you got your hands in there shaping some clay. However you prefer to work.
    Refine the shape as close as you can. Only add more edges as necessary.
    For the depth, I imagine him to be a perfect water-drop/pear shape. We have perfect curves from front view, so I think it makes sense to follow that style from any other angle.

• jasonmir83
    My 2nd attempt. ( well not 2nd  *cough*). ...  Any suggestion? anyone?

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is reading cleaner overall, but it's not matching the proportions and shape of the reference. The hands and feet are pretty different too.
  • jasonmir83
    I think it is reading cleaner overall, but it's not matching the proportions and shape of the reference. The hands and feet are pretty different too.
    I am editing the Hands and feets. about the proportion you mentioned, i can get the front, but its so hard to imagine the back . So hard . Its been weeks ( sighh) 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Work from references that give you all sides then. The more models you complete, the more references you study, the easier it will become. It's okay to make imperfect art. Nobody is gonna get hurt.