Home Technical Talk

ZBRUSH - Dynamesh + Subdiv at the same time (Technical and workflow question)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
g_osorio polycounter lvl 3

Hello Polycount. Sorry for bothering you all.

So I was watching the amazing course by the great Raf Grassetti "Design for production in Zbrush" and I noticed something while he was working.

Normally, when I'm creating my Highpoly, I normally just run Dynamesh to block out and such, Zremesh in order to get clean topology and then I Subdivision for details. However Raf is apparently using Subdivision and Dynamesh at the same time, and it seems he's able to sculpt more freely and change the model as he's coming up with ideas for his 3D concept. This intrigues me, since I find myself sort of "stuck" with my piece after I Subdivide it, and I wish I could feel more comfortable with changing my piece dramatically even after I Zremesh it, which is what he is doing.

I'm also confused since when I try to turn on Dynamesh when Subdiv is on, it forces me to freeze my subdivision. How does this workflow work, and how can I take the most out of it?

Hopefuly I explained myself well in order for anyone to understand what I mean. Is there anyone that uses this workflow when sculpting?
Thanks a bunch for reading and sorry for wasting your time.  

Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm also confused since when I try to turn on Dynamesh when Subdiv is on, it forces me to freeze my subdivision.

If you turn on dynamesh first, you can then subdivide while dynamesh is on. Updating it will automatically clear out any subdivision levels though (it wont ask you to freeze since dynamesh is already on), so I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for. I'm unfamiliar with the tutorial or Raf's workflow. 
  • g_osorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g_osorio polycounter lvl 3
    You're right! Hopefully someone that uses that workflow can somewhat explain to me how I can get the best out of this workflow. Thank you so much Cryrid!