Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rusted Tunnels - UE4 (Critique Welcome)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Recker polycounter lvl 6
Hi Everyone, I made this small environment, and would love some critique on it. Thanks!

The environment was inspired by the underground sewer sections in Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I wanted to explore another dark dank environment, and felt a small quick environment was a good start. 

The assets are all modular and game ready with PBR materials, which allowed for an quick iterations and variations until I settled on this final layout.

Modelled in 3DS Max, Textures in Photoshop and Substance Painter. World Building/Compositing in Unreal Engine 4.

EDIT: Due to some great feedback, I've made adjustments to the lighting and other small adjustments. Hopefully it all appears more readable and clear on different screens now. Thanks!

Images also available on website and artstation.

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oG8EY

Thanks again!

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The scene seems really dark. I can't see much of anything and my screen's brightness is maxed. I think increasing the indirect lighting intensity, number of light bounces or, the camera's exposure would help.  Also (more of a personal taste)  I think more of your textures could use some higher gloss areas to create some cool reflections from your lights. As they call it in movies/TV, do a 'wet-down' of the set.
  • Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for that feedback, I've actually gotten that a few times in regards to the brightness, so I will crank it up a bit. Strangely enough, it looks too bright on my screen, and I don't have maximum brightness. I'll do some more tests.

I will also look into some better roughness textures for the materials.

Thank you again :)
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Huh. . . That's the second time I've heard that today, about a monitor not showing correct values. If you want to, you can try loading screen shots into Photoshop or Substance Designer to check the levels. This is what I'm getting:

What is going on with monitors today? 
  • Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 6
    I'm getting the same levels on mine.

I am trying to aim for something similar to this, but not as orange with the main lights...

I did make some minor adjustments to the overall lighting, and increased the indirect lighting intensity.

On my screen it's getting a bit too bright, I wanted to have the shadowy areas have some visibility, but also to be still shadowed.

Perhaps it's my lighting settings though. I'm definitely no lighting artist that's for sure, but I dunno, maybe I'm missing something so obvious.

• Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 6
    I updated the main post with the changes based on the feedback not only from yourself JamesBrisnehan, but also from others. Thank you!