Home Technical Talk

Does it have too high polycount?

Deniell
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Deniell triangle
Hello. I'm newbie in 3D modeling for games and I cannot guess the right polycount. Also new in baking and these stuff and can't estimate which geometry can be displayed as a texture. I create a reflex sight but I think I overdid it with polycount. What do you guys think? Just don't mind attention to materials, I know it shouldn't look like that, I just wanted to show you quickly. Also baking looks bad I know. I will work on it. :) It has 7500 polycounts and I think it's too high for reflex sight but please, let me know what you think. Thank you.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If this asset is to be viewed in first person, this seems to be in the general ballpark of polycounts.  Could stand to use more./

I would be wary of the baking issues.  Something feels off, but this is without me digging into the files.  Is this using DirectX or OpenGL for normal rendering?
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Thanks for comment. I use DirectX for it. I know the bake looks bad right now. I just want to know if polycount is right. I will work on it and remake the bake. And yeah, this asset is modeled for first person AAA intentions.
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Make sure silhouette is defined enough (enough edges on round details so it doesn't look chunky and 'low-poly', but also isn't super dense, which looks like you've correctly done) and also make sure you've got the right amount of density spread across your elements. A tiny screw shouldn't have 32 edges placed on a larger plastic housing panel which is just an 8 sided cylinder, for example :smiley:

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    like mentioned above, watch your density distribution. the red circled places here are very dense, especially the little insets, versus the rest of the model. no reason to have the most density on the smallest features.
    where ive put those arrows: you have these chamfered edges on internal hole shapes. they dont affect the silhouette at all and are not very noticeable, whereas there's evident faceting on the circles they belong to as well as the largest forms of the sight. you could have straight inward extrusions like the smaller hole below and nobody would be able to tell the difference, using the polys gained to round things out better across the board.

if you're going to have chamfers anywhere, theyre most useful on outer, silhouette edges where they can really make a difference in how the larger forms read.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Flip the green/y channel of your normal map. You'll see an immediate improvement.

Personally, i think there are a lot of optimisations you cna make here, @somedoggy has illustrated many of them, though.

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Thank you guys for feedback. I'll reduce the dense areas and do something with baking. :D