Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Courtyard Environment for Oculus Quest VR [WIP]

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I'm currently trying to create a courtyard in UE4 that is optimized and ready for the Oculus Quest. I work in a studio that produces VR content so I want to improve my skills when it comes to optimizing art for VR. The environment is inspired by my recent trip to Rome.
Whiteboxing/blocking

Blocking in some materials. I need to tone down how dark the shadows are. I've got it running on the VR headset at a good framerate so far, I just need to keep it consistent as I add more elements in.

Replies

• snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    whats the frame rate so far and how many polygons so far and are you doing any blueprint Hierachical instanced static mesh system for the modular buildings?
  • stocksatron
    whats the frame rate so far and how many polygons so far and are you doing any blueprint Hierachical instanced static mesh system for the modular buildings?
    The frame rate is currently at 50-60fps so it needs to be improved a bit. I've currently got 150k tris in the scene which needs to be cut down a little bit. Other than combining assets to reduce draw calls I haven't set up instanced static meshes or Hierarchical LOD systems yet as I'm still working on the assets. When the assets are finalized I'll optimize further. 
  • stocksatron
    An update on this project. A lot of my time working on this scene was spent optimizing and documenting workflows for getting content onto the Oculus Quest. I had a lot of fun working on a personal project where I had set tri counts for a change. Hopefully, I'll start working on some more complex environments for the Quest in the future. Here's a little video showing how the scene runs in the headset.