Home General Discussion

Virtual Reality

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
another caveman greentooth
Very excited about this. Pretty sure the trailer alone is going to make some jobs for us. Very inspiring.

If you are making the move and gearing up, here is a good thread for you:

Latest HMD (Head Mount Display) :

As the graphic above mentions, VR is in a weird spot right now...

- Oculus Quest
Larger audience: affordable solution (Playstation price - 399 - 499$USD), mobile! (no base stations! can take out!), able to run games without a PC (mobile game -like optimized), USB Connection is on its way to run PC VR Games. User has his hands in game through pressing buttons, but it feels quite natural still. Good image quality.
Also: OLED; Resolution per-eye 1440x1600 Refresh rate 72 Hz
Has a great software ! It's like a smartphone.

- Valve Index
Premium... Expensive (999$USD); not mobile, uses base-stations, can't run games on its own, display only; good detection of user fingers; very good audio. Good image quality.
Also: LCD; Resolution per-eye: 1440x1600 Refresh 80-144Hz; FOV 130°
Software: SteamVR

- HP Reverb could be listed here as well, even if he's not one of the main picks for Gaming, it remains a great piece for artists/devs.
I have never tried this one but from what I read it is more meant for: art, working (you can have a virtual workstation), seated simulations/cockpits, professional trainings etc.
It has very high graphics, but lower comfort for standing games, and apps where you are supposed to move around a lot, due to some issue with the cable if I recall correctly. And the controllers...are terrible.

Oculus Rift-S
Oculus Rift-S is good as well but since you can soon use an Oculus Quest to run PC-VR games, many people call it obsolete and an error to even have been made in the first place, as a Quest can do the same AND be mobile.

And basically you can run anything with any headset, or, close to that.
This app, Revive, allows to run Oculus games/apps on a Valve/Vive device: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

Worth checking out too
Physics explorations Project TX, Nimso Ny / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEl1M2UK2Is&t=319s

I am new to VR, worked with it before, but only had my HMD (Index) for a months or two. Let me know if you see mistakes here I will fix that.

Also: Motion sickness is nothing to be scared of.... Took me three days to get used to it and fly high speed cam up in the air and resize the world I'm in and whatever. Now I can understand this can vary on people.
Also you want to know your IPD before buying a headset. You never know. (Distance between your eyes)
If you wear glasses you can have lenses done here : https://vroptician.com/ HMD over glasses works as well.

some links:

Share yours!

Replies

• littleclaude
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Based on the trailer, it looks promising. I have an oculus, and there is a vive too at my place. Unfortunately, I found most of the vr games to be not so entertaining, and low graphics wise so far. This second statement is undetstandable because of the hardware requirements of rendering nice images twice is expensive, and most users computers just can't do. So I use them mostly for having fun with Unreal. But I'm definitely looking forward to see how the Half Life game will turn out. Maybe I would expect a bit nicer look in 2020 but oh well. We need to be happy with getting a Half Life game at all and not complain I guess.
  • wirrexx
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I am waiting for the valve to go down in price. I am a Huge Half Life fan, played through the first one over 20 times and second one (with all DLCs) over 30-40 times. (different accounts). I just love those games, and i for the love of god, this will hurt my wallet and i do not know why. But i really really want a new Half Life. And if this silence my hunger for Half Life another 10 years.. I am down for it.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If this game comes out and smashes in the user reviews, then I start watching VR more seriously. If ten more games do the same thing, then I will get VR.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    @Obscura Agreed on the games not all being there yet.. However we're seeing real good changes, as we care less about motion sickness and also mostly I'd say physics.......  PavlovVR (Multiplayer shooter game) really made me realize how other locomotions sucked aha.
    I seriously feel these teleportation locomotion games and enemy waves made a close to useless use of VR... Free running / flying with joysticks rules :)

And yeah. physics ... Some good work here!

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    As long as you have to put a warm ski mask on I'll pass. And I'm pretty sure there are many others thinking the same way.
    As soon as VR means I can just put on some glasses I'll consider getting a personal headset.
  • EarthQuake
    This Alyx game looks pretty cool. Does anyone know if you can play it without VR hardware? I'd prefer not to throw up and trip over my vomit.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    @EarthQuake
    VR only, though with 3 different locomotion options you should be fine with nausea
  • EarthQuake
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    They are trying to make you buying the Index I guess.

Also. " I'd prefer not to throw up and trip over my vomit." Fortunately, thats really not how it is in the reality. There are some games that causes intense motion sickness, but you can simply not play those games. The better made ones are usually all right. Some of them are completely fine and you can play them for longer without any of the symptoms. "Practice" also makes it better lol.
  • Michael Knubben
    @Obscura It works with virtually any headset, so that's a bit dramatic.
    The game wouldn't work in non-VR without big changes, it'd essentially be a different game. They've mentioned this in the interview with Geoff Keighley, but I think you can infer the same thing from the trailer, it's just so dependent on having your actual hands be the controllers.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Daaamn...spending my currency, I could cobble together a fairly decent Gaming/CG rig for what that Index alone costs in USD! anyway not a VR fan...yet, so I'm giving it a miss this time.  

• EarthQuake
    Obscura said:
    They are trying to make you buying the Index I guess.

Also. " I'd prefer not to throw up and trip over my vomit." Fortunately, thats really not how it is in the reality. There are some games that causes intense motion sickness, but you can simply not play those games. The better made ones are usually all right. Some of them are completely fine and you can play them for longer without any of the symptoms. "Practice" also makes it better lol.
    Okay so let's assume I won't get motion sick playing this or other VR games (unlikely). I don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars, strap on a dumb ass headset, and faff around in my living room like a fucktard.

Just give me a game I can play with a controller on a couch lol. VR is gonna be 3D TV in like 3 years, so it's unfortunate to see what will likely be a very good game, exclusive to this vaporware specialized hardware nonsense.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake VR is a whole different thing, but of course it's being sold to the current videogame audience... because it's there already.. probably.
    If VRs not for you, VRs not for you ^^
    When playing Pavlov or Onwards, I can't tell what I'm closer to... videogame or airsoft..? Mix of both probably.

It's a whole different activity..... Could it be why so many games sucked trying to recycle things from flat gaming and it just didnt always fit fine there...
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If I went back 20 years and took VR with me -- if my brother was playing VR I'd be kicking him in the nuts every time he put the headset on. I mean how couldn't you?
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    So much hate for VR here, figured as artists most people would be excited to see their work and interact with it in a completely new way. I'll never work in traditional game development again after VR, its the best thing to happen to the industry in decades
  • Eric Chadwick
    No hate on my end. We dev for VR, and it's great. It really is a different experience, worth getting past the warm-skimask issue.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    vr is great, can't wait for the next generation with hopefully 1:1 fov to human view
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    ..and Facebook just bought Beat Games (Beat Saber studio)!

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm...don't think I'm hating on it either. I mean until such time miniaturization and overall price point become as palatable for your average gamer as the traditional controller + gaming platform + display, that has reigned supreme for over 40yrs, then I'll take another look. But really in order to compete on an even playing field VR must have a viable library of games worth the money that actually intices people to have fun playing! rather than envoke a bout of cybersickness :) otherwise relegated as just another tech for diverse industries outside the entertainment sector to utilise. 
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe this will be an unpopular opinion, but I'd say we as cg artists are making good enough money to not be blown away by the prices. Also, I totally agree with the comment which basically says "we should be happy with interacting with our stuff in new ways". It is indeed a different experience. For now, yeah things are kinda pricy, I think we are in the beginning of something better. I'm pretty sure such negative attitude was present at generation, technique and hardware changes in the past too. RTX could be a similar topic.We are onto something better but it takes time. Even here some people say I will buy vr when it will be a light glass etc. Yet, thats a different tech called mixed reality for example.These topics will slowly merge, fall out, and find their best place in the industry. VR is already very useful in concept art, visualization and other similar topics, and there are attempts in trying to make its proper way into gaming. In my personal opinion, the cable and limited playspace is the most irritating part, but I can already see that manufacturers realized these issues and they are working on it. Personally I'm looking forward to see what will come out from this in like 5-10 years.

Haters are haters but I would say maybe you haven't had a decent experience with vr yet. Makes sense, there is a small amount of decent stuff at the moment. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Haters are haters but I would say maybe you haven't had a decent experience with vr yet. Makes sense, there is a small amount of decent stuff at the moment. 

I personally prefer the term 'fence sitter' and yes, obviously the current lack of quality content is essentially just one of a few primary aspects where this tech fails too deliver as a feasible gaming platform...anyhow at least for the time being?!

• another caveman
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone playing boneworks? VR game of the year for me. Amazing soundtrack, gameplay, interaction, environments and ambiance and looks so good on an index
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    I am :-)  !
    I like it a lot as well, even if I really see it as a showroom than a game (which I don't mind)
    A little update on the legs would be nice :) (when it comes to climbing...)
    Wish they come up with an editor or some kind of base project, so much to craft in such a gym.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah the climbing is the only thing that puts me off so far, its just a little too wobbly at times. It'd also be nice to be able to climb over ledges a bit easier, i've yet to pull one off so i just end up jumping. The amount of content is great though, without that i would feel its more like a tech showcase but its got so much going on. I havnt had this much fun with a vr game since i got my first dev kit back in 2013
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    VR, sadly, it produces me severe headaches. I still can't use the actual gadgets.

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    @Blaizer
    What headsets have you tried?
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @MikeF HTC vive, and Playstation VR head sets.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Ah sorry to hear that, i figured it might have been an older dev kit or a 3dof system.
    A few things might be causing that if you ever try one again:
    • Incorrect IPD settings on the headset or you have an IPD that exceeds the range of the hardware
    • Astigmatism 
    • Farsightedness
    • Photo sensitivity
    • Garbage content

Unfortunately that last one is hard to pinpoint since everyone has different tolerances for certain types of content, but in general:
    •  360 videos are awful since they don't allow positional tracking and most are rendered incorrectly or at low resolution. Seriously one of the worst use cases for VR
    • Applications that don't meet the target refresh rate of the headset and in some cases even lower refresh rates like the quest at 72hz still isn't enough for some people
    • Fixed foveated rendering can mess with some people if they're more aware of their peripherals
    • Discrepancies in 1:1 position of your tracked objects vs. representation in vr (though this tends to lead more towards the nausea side)
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    So all headsets have been sold out this end of year (I mean the Quests and Index) . :-) Really glad to see this market opening like that.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah this is a great sign!
    Just steam alone shows insane growth over the holidays https://vrlfg.net/VRUsage
    Not to mention quest alone has had more new users for my game over the past two weeks than its entire lifespan over the last year on all headsets. Good things happening in 2020 :)
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey great website thanks for the link!!
    Is your game the Poker one still or new one ?
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    yesir PokerStarsVR, not the other one with poker in the name https://store.steampowered.com/app/886250/PokerStars_VR/
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    Some very very interesting content from Denny Kuhnert gives a good glimpse at what gameplay could be crafted :) using hand tracking / no held controller.

• Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I've been playing HL: Alyx the last few days to give my body a break from sitting all day, and it's pretty GD awesome. Hopefully this game can help shine a bigger spotlight on the wonderful world of VR and assist in delivering future VR awesomeness!
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message

His setup is the most advanced / good looking I have seen so far I think. Good reference! Very interesting talk I find, overall on his youtube channel.