Home Career & Education

Future of CGI ?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hi,
where and how you see CG industry in 30 years?

Replies

• defragger
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Largely in China - or wherever labour laws are lax and life is cheap by then 
  • Pirax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    For a positive outlook Software will be better at automating the more menial or time consuming tasks of 3D. Artists should spend more time doing creative things. It should in theory mean more time for the look development of content ultimately leading to prettier games and other content... 

Or it could just mean time allocation gets cut short as the artistic side can be completed quicker 😂
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

The year 2050?!

...hopefully not bleak, in more ways than one...

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Pirax said:

Or it could just mean time allocation gets cut short as the artistic side can be completed quicker 😂

Yeah, that ^

Until the world stops running on greed the train isn't going to slow down. Always going to keep pushing things. Until they break. Dumb animals only learn through pain.

Thinking technology will free us from burden is naive, IMO. That is the opposite of what happens throughout history. Technology always complicates, it does not simplify.

I think the people who spend so many years becoming hyper specialized may be put out of work because of that. The most valuable people are going to the ones who can see the big picture and draw connections. People who can plan projects, lead teams, and envision the end product clearly.

It may be even harder to get your foot in the door if there is not as much menial labor to do. You won't have the opportunity to learn the ropes by doing the annoying work seniors don't want to do but has to be done. 

Whatever happens, I think it is clear that corporate culture does not love the human and seeks to replace him at any cost. It's only give and take relationship inasmuch as worker has leveraging power. And workers power decreases every time technology increases. 

So it seems a dicey gamble to bank retirement on corporate work. And certainly the ceiling for earnings is much lower. I think the general adage is that it's more stable, secure work, but that's not what reality looks like to me. I think it's just a matter of how enslaved you are to convenience. 

Maybe increased automation helps the little people earn their humble living though. Already it is so much easier to make an indie game thanks to the huge, cheap libraries of art assets out there. There's some trickle down economics actually working right there. 

• ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    You know the opening scene in Terminator 2 where the T-800 is walking on and crushing all those human skulls? 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We do already have this topic in play. Future of 3d modeling and texturing