Home General Discussion

Future of 3d modeling and texturing

SatpreetSingh04
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
SatpreetSingh04 polycounter lvl 5
I have been learning 3d since last few years and i am very passionate about that. Recently i saw a video on Youtube from BlenderGuru, he had an interview with the Blizzard's Environment Artist Michael Vicente. He talked about the AI replacing most of the 3d jobs in the industry. I am pretty worried that if it is going to replace most of the 3d artists then whats the point of having an artist? and no artist would like to work as a technical person cleaning up stuff for the AI and photogrammetry . Please can someone clear this to me. 

Replies

• MikeF
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    This topic comes up at least once a year for as long as i can remember being on polycount. I wouldnt worry about it. Until there's a make game button breakthrough in AI there'l be plenty of jobs to go around. The tedium of many tasks will be reduced by the help of AI though (as evident by modern tools and workflows) so humans can focus more on the creative aspect 
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Jep. Remember the time when you did hand paint shadows?
    Into your diffuse textures?
    With your hands?
    Shadows!?

Now shadows are done by the software!!! What should we artist do now?? Just painting pure colors??? :´(

Things will always change but there will always be room for artist's decisions. 

However: be nice to your computer. One day they will be smarter then us and they will kill us all if we aren't nice to them now 
     <3 
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    If AI starts replacing artists, AI will also be replacing a lot of other humans and their jobs. Much larger stuff to worry about in broad scheme than the subsection of art that is 3D modeling. AI is already replacing things like creating tiling textures and moving around pixels on a texture to make it seamless. Which is good because it, like MikeF points out, is tedious and not super creative. 

• SatpreetSingh04
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF said:
    This topic comes up at least once a year for as long as i can remember being on polycount. I wouldnt worry about it. Until there's a make game button breakthrough in AI there'l be plenty of jobs to go around. The tedium of many tasks will be reduced by the help of AI though (as evident by modern tools and workflows) so humans can focus more on the creative aspect 
    Thank you MikeF for your answer.

• SatpreetSingh04
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin said:
    With your hands?
    Shadows!?

Now shadows are done by the software!!! What should we artist do now?? Just painting pure colors??? :´(

Things will always change but there will always be room for artist's decisions. 

However: be nice to your computer. One day they will be smarter then us and they will kill us all if we aren't nice to them now 
     <3 
    Yes some things cant be replaced by machines, like art which only humans can  do.
  • SatpreetSingh04
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg said:
    If AI starts replacing artists, AI will also be replacing a lot of other humans and their jobs. Much larger stuff to worry about in broad scheme than the subsection of art that is 3D modeling. AI is already replacing things like creating tiling textures and moving around pixels on a texture to make it seamless. Which is good because it, like MikeF points out, is tedious and not super creative. 

I agree with what you say. Actually its better that AI replaces tedious jobs and help artists to focus more on their creativity.

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Outsourcing is much more likely to take your job than AI, no need to worry about our friends from skynet.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    They're coming for your job...come with me if you want to work.

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    There are things AI is good at, and things that AI is bad at. The things that AI is good at can be counter-intuitive, as they do handle some things that other types of computer systems can't handle, but people shouldn't be quick to assume that means they're well on their way to doing everything a human can.

One good metaphor I've heard is AI is like having a massive army of toddlers at your command. They can do some things very fast, but they're still completely incapable of doing other things, and controlling exactly what they do is very, very hard.

AI will probably decrease the number of artists required on a project. But that's not necessarily a bad thing for artists; if you can bring down the cost of graphically rich games, more graphically rich games are going to get made. They'll still be need for artists, and we'll get to work on more interesting projects, and spend more of our time on real creative work and less on grunt work.

Check out this video, from the founder of one of the most promising startups using AI for game art production:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAXAgRrOSE
  • Raiux
    Hy people. I'm a new enthusiastic about 3D modelling. For start I think that the CG can be applied in most areas in future, and the new technologies like XR, will drive the road. Exemple off my mind. A tour in a Shopping in home whith Rift, where the purchased things will be delivered to people home. All the future will be modeled.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Udjani said:
    Outsourcing is much more likely to take your job than AI, no need to worry about our friends from skynet.
    phew than I am safe!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Neox said:
    Udjani said:
    phew than I am safe!
    Not unless we outsourceception the fuck outta this and outsource your outsourcing!
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Justo said:
    Neox said:
    Udjani said:
    phew than I am safe!
    Not unless we outsourceception the fuck outta this and outsource your outsourcing!
    Oh man just like when people would form an endless chain of sublets on a timeshare, forming a weird pyramid scheme
  • Udjani
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think AI will take a lot of more menial tasks first.

The problem with AI taking over an artists job, is our job is continually evolving, and requiring more and more and more work.

As long as computers get more and more powerful, there is no limit to how far we could push our visuals.

If you told me 15 years ago, I'd be counting eyelashes, and doing 150+ FACS blendshapes, and spending several months grooming hair, and actually appyling the "proper types of pores" to each area of the face, id tell you that would be improbable.. yet here we are.

If you told me we would be simulating cloth in a fashion design program, and it still wouldn't speed us up very much, I'd say you were out to lunch.

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yep, so far, no new tool really lowered the amount of work. It probably washed away a certain amount of craftsmenship, making the entry level a lot simpler. But in general work became more and more, never really less.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey, I think we are getting a bit to optimistic here and I just wanna bring it all down a notch for a sec.

I agree with most of whats been said, we aren't all of a sudden loosing our jobs over night.
    but, let me assure you, art is by no means some magical field that AI will never be able to replicate because of the human soul or something.

we are all getting replaced sooner or later.

That's all :)
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    So: Are you a great artist because you can create super realistic folds with your bare hands or because you led someone to make your folds the way you want them to be?

I would argue the first one is what makes one think "wow this is an crazy amount of work and craftsmanship" but on the other hand I hardly see any creativity in it. Just let an simulation (not even AI) do it way better and way faster.
    But making a great costume might be way easier (if we image the perfect tools) but would require something I would describe as artistic creativity. 
    But everyone can come up with 'something'. It's highly subjective and a lot harder to define in 'good' or 'bad'.

I - personally - think that picking the tools already defines a bit how much _Art_ you can bring into a piece of work. If you run a cloth simulation you get physically correct results. If you do it by hand you can do stuff that goes beyond that.

So I would draw a chart that defines creativity on one axis and physicality on another axis

And yes, this post got bigger then intended...  :o
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think what makes a good artist is knowing how to communicate a clear, specific message efficiently using whatever the medium is.

You can automate all the work, and what you are left with is somebody who needs to be a great communicator. Important skill for any job, and especially important if you want to rise above the technical level (which you may not be interested in, but its gonna be automated so you might as well learn).

• defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Currrently AI has a big advantage in raw processing power and memory. It's great at recognizing patterns in large amounts of data. This could be huge for automated UVs, retopo, lodding, ...! I'm actually looking forward to that.

BUT technological advancement is not a linear process. Just because there was a major breakthrough in AI about ten years ago doesn't mean we are going to have AI with emotion, empathy or creativity any time soon. It could be another ten years from now. It could be a hundred years. Maybe never.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    any job that is going to be destroyed by AI in the future will have a long enough window of time for those people to see it coming and adapt. Those that refuse to will simply get steamrolled in the process.

this happened when normal maps and highpoly workflows became more common in the ps3 era, especially in vancouver, a lot of people refused to learn new tools and adapt and then ended up leaving the industry after a huge round of layoffs and not being able to get a new job, because they couldn't demonstrate an up to date skillset. 

it happened again this gen with the advent of pbr and the substance tools suite, anyone who is unfamiliar with those tools will struggle to get a new job if they have been coasting for the last few years and get blindsided by layoffs. I know quite a few artists who would be in a horrible situation if that happened and they are constantly saying  "yea, I really need to learn substance...."

The same thing will happen to other industries, like the trucking/shipping industry. Anyone looking to become a truck driver these days is probably in for a rude awakening in the next 5-10 years if they don't take automated fleets of trucks into account. Mcdonalds workers are already getting made irrelevant by automated ordering kiosks - my own behavior adapted about a month after those showed up to the point where I NEVER go to order at the counter any more. 

creative decision making and having a more in depth impact on overall player experience in roles such as design, world building, etc are going to be even more important skills as all the menial work gets automated. It's pretty inefficient to have humans hand placing rust leak decals under things, or hand placing little tufts of grass in the cracks of sidewalks for 8 hours a day. 

If you see the changes coming, it is 100% on you to adapt to it to remain relevant (good companies will). Don't expect a company to train you to keep up, a lot of that is going to have to be learned outside your 9-5 hours. But as new tools and systems come into play, there is a HELL of a lot of opportunity for those that embrace them first and master them. look at all the initial substance designer gurus, they built huge followings, sold a ton of tutorials and were in extremely high demand for the first few years substance was out and becoming the new standard for materials. 

evolution in the tools and industry is just another chance to create opportunity for yourself. 
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I was talking to some colleagues about this a little while ago.
    We were wondering if a very sloppily and shoddily made game would be "acceptable".

Imagine we scanned a character, then just ran Zremesh on it for the lowpoly.
    Auto unwrap the UVs.

Imagine all environments were photogrammetry, and all props are scanned.

Funny thing is, with the power of computers today, that crappy looking character we made in under 30mins, would probably be better looking than MOST games made 10 years ago.

Maybe if we were to reframe the question it might yield a different result:

How much more power would we need for there to be a negligible difference between the sloppiest cleaned up auto-retopo'd scan were to compare to properly constructed and optimized lowpoly one?

• Eric Chadwick
    Yeah, who the fuck needs art direction anyhow? Daz 3D ftw

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    By 2020 we thought we'd have these.....

But instead we have these.....

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I find the idea that we cannot be replaced by AI laughable.

In a production environment  unless you're a concept artist or are directly involved in art direction / production design etc. you're an artisan not an artist - you are there to realise other people's ideas. This is very much within the realm of possibility for AI and machine learning. 
    The main reason it hasn't happened yet are because there are better ways to make money from AI research.

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Despite what many people think, this industry is still crippled with technical issues all over the place that makes it hard to make an art piece without studying what is now multiple disciplines (environment, character, vfx, compositing, animation, rigging, etc...) that take years or even decades to master.

Going back to Eric's Daz image:

I think we all laugh at Daz scenes because of their generic look and quality "consistency" which makes it hard for artists to create unique work with it; however you gotta admit that very few veteran artists in this industry can make a scene with a castle, a character and a dragon in it.
    Even with pre-made assets very few have made such scenes, because we're so limited in our own specific roles that we rule out a lot of great ideas over time. Gamers are making amazing projects in Dreams (PS4) that look more unique than most 3d art I see these days, and they rarely limit themselves to one discipline only!

Right now the challenge is to create more and more parametric tools that allow you to create good looking and unique characters/assets, or to customize existing ones (like the dragon's wings length, color, scales size, facial expressions, etc...) if they're too unique to be converted into a generic/procedural solution.
    This effort of creating parametric assets could either be crowdsourced or driven by a company, in either way it'll have a much more meaningful impact on every artist's potential than adding whatever feature in Maya or Painter or any other software for that matter.

TLDR; Current art process has been decentralized to a point where it sucks, and there's no way in hell that the future of CG art will be this fragmented, IMO.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Why confine your dreams to crunchy-realism or high-detail-painterly?

So many art styles out there to choose from, that don't require a giganto art team or a gazillion years.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/211344/what-low-polygon-art-styles-do-you-enjoy 
  • ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
    The day that AI replaces artist that's the day people will lose interest in gaming and we wont even have a need for AAA studios . They make A.I and automation to save money on production when theres no money to be made in the industry people will just make the passionate indie scene boom. When you think about that's how you nuke the industry. I just don't see a place for it in gaming. It just silly to even think about. The ONLY way I see A.I killing artist jobs is if people are ok with making generic as entertainment. But even then you will need creative direction for your vision.  Just like how poeple thought Digital Art would kill Fine Art... I just think it'd be THE silliest thing the industry can do. Even Big production Television shows use A.I automation but then they realized they still need production staff on hand.
  • focus_method
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    I have been learning 3d since last few years and i am very passionate about that. Recently i saw a video on Youtube from BlenderGuru, he had an interview with the Blizzard's Environment Artist Michael Vicente. He talked about the AI replacing most of the 3d jobs in the industry. I am pretty worried that if it is going to replace most of the 3d artists then whats the point of having an artist? and no artist would like to work as a technical person cleaning up stuff for the AI and photogrammetry . Please can someone clear this to me. 
    yes, that's very possible !

• Eric Chadwick
    no, that's extremely unlikely!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    The day that AI replaces artist that's the day people will lose interest in gaming and we wont even have a need for AAA studios . They make A.I and automation to save money on production when theres no money to be made in the industry people will just make the passionate indie scene boom. When you think about that's how you nuke the industry. I just don't see a place for it in gaming. It just silly to even think about. The ONLY way I see A.I killing artist jobs is if people are ok with making generic as entertainment. But even then you will need creative direction for your vision.  Just like how poeple thought Digital Art would kill Fine Art... I just think it'd be THE silliest thing the industry can do. Even Big production Television shows use A.I automation but then they realized they still need production staff on hand.
    this is completely based on the assumption that the AI will be worse then us, which in that case, wont replace us.
    Its just as possible that at some point,  AI will not only be faster and cheaper, but also more intuitive and creative as well.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    lotet said:
    this is completely based on the assumption that the AI will be worse then us, which in that case, wont replace us.
    Its just as possible that at some point,  AI will not only be faster and cheaper, but also more intuitive and creative as well.
    That's getting interesting.. As it rises the question if intuition and creativity is related to intelligence. The book Count Zero is slightly touching this topic nicely
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    rollin said:
    With your hands?
    Shadows!?

I do remember this time well - like yesterday. Probably because I did paint shadows into the texture yesterday. :) Which is to say - almost all character assets that I deal with seem to include some level of baked shading in the diffuse. I'm talking skin, cloth, hair of course. Clothing in particular - lots of shading that goes into that.

I think Skynet still has to catch up in this area or the Terminators will never look like people.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    rollin said:
    lotet said:
    That's getting interesting.. As it rises the question if intuition and creativity is related to intelligence. The book Count Zero is slightly touching this topic nicely
    Indeed. 

There have already been "documented cases" of AI being "creative". When AlphaGo defeated the best human player in the world, Ke, he said the computer was not not only better then him, but regularly exploited tactics and solutions he could only dream of, or had the clarity of mind to perform maybe once or twice in his life. 

the same goes for the AI that defeated the Pro players in Dota 2. 

obviously we are still very early in this, and a game/sport is not the same as art, but I would definitely say it is creative in its own right.

I wouldn't be surprised if AI can crack the algorithms of creativity at some point.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not sure what the actual definition of creativity is, if there is one. But I saw some video of AI "bots" playing a game of hide and seek. The game iterates millions of times, but eventually the bots learn to completely exploit the physics of the game to break it. In other words, they learn to cheat. 

Maybe human players might learn to cheat in that way quicker. But if learning to cheat is just a matter of trial and error, eventually AI would most definitely be doing that much faster. In that case, wouldn't you say that is AI being more creative than a human? I guess real creativity would be realizing the whole thing is a game and somehow like, escaping it entirely. But whatever the point is... Skynet is coming.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

This provoked a wry smile, AI algorithms are already having their - it? artworks auctioned by Christie’s:

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/ai-is-blurring-the-definition-of-artist 

...gimmicky at best, to be creative a soul is required.   

• ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet If you are saying that an algorithm is more creative than you, That is in the mind of the beholder. Trust me if A.I can take my imagination and make what I have in my fucked head into a playable vision im making a ONE man studio. So if A.I will out run human creativity then everyone will find a use for it. Why think like an employee about it anyway???
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @lotet If you are saying that an algorithm is more creative than you, That is in the mind of the beholder. Trust me if A.I can take my imagination and make what I have in my fucked head into a playable vision im making a ONE man studio. So if A.I will out run human creativity then everyone will find a use for it. Why think like an employee about it anyway???

for me the discussion is bigger then that, Its not about my creativity vs yours, or an AI for that matter.
    my main point is only that AI will get better then us at some point, denying that feels very naive to me, what we do about it afterwards I have no idea.

perhaps human made things will increase in value simply for the fact they are "hand-made".
  • MeNaToMBo
    Offline / Send Message
    MeNaToMBo polycounter lvl 3
    I can remember years ago George Lucas claiming that CGI actors were going to completely replace real actors. It still hasn't happened. In fact the uncanny valley effect for a lot of human models is so disturbing that it makes a lot of people uncomfortable to watch it and they don't know exactly why. The problem with AI creating models would be that they would be too perfect. Using photos and AI to create models would possibly create a model that was spot on to a real world item. That would be the problem. You or I might look at it and there would be something about it that wouldn't quite click. Something odd about it. The odd thing would be the sterile perfection in which an AI would create a model or a piece of artwork. We haven't gotten to the point in our technology where we can replicate human nature, empathy, and all that... A machine would need that in order to make art that would please our eyes and not disturb us with how sterile it was.

It comes up every now and again... Will artists be replaced with machines? I have no fear of it. They told me that in a few years there would be no need for programmers since we'd be replaced by AI... That was in 1998... It hasn't happened yet.
  • ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet There will only be 2 kinds people left... The Artist/ entrepreneur who takes advantage of a new thing, Or the worker who will fear the new thing. All im saying is just like how automation is taking over television production it will happen to the other end of the entertainment industry. And there will always be people who will learn how to take advantage of that situation. Where I am people learned automation and created their own studios. A.I is only a career ender if you never wanted one.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Nvidia has just created a solution to making a full mesh from a SINGLE 2D image. https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/12/09/neurips-research-3d/

While this kinda stuff has been around for decades, what Nvidia has done is quite a big leap in terms of usability/production. The more they refine the AI (or somehow make it able to learn on its own), the better the results/output will be. I'm sure at some point there will be public tools where we can just scan through google images and generate an 80% ready production mesh from a single image. 

I personally think AI and autonomous art are great for the future. They will force artists to be more creative, rather than 80% of the production workflow being mundane and cleaning up topology or some other rubbish. There are already some nice tools that make production-ready meshes instantly from high poly sculpts/concepts. Mike Pavlovich I would say is a pioneer in pushing this forward. 

The only concern I have is that the standard of art is increasing higher each day. Stuff that was in AAA games 5 years ago no longer is a wow factor to most people today. Seemingly beginner artists also seem to be producing some insanely good quality work these days too, but that's attributed to the amount of teaching content available out there. 

I've also seen a lot of stylized art on the same bar as Overwatch, be cranked out completely from a concept sculpt + procedurally generated textures from substance do 95% of the work. 

So a greater emphasis on learning the art fundamentals will differentiate an average artist from a professional in the future. Once you can teach AI art fundamentals, which WILL happen, I'm not sure where we will go from there. The AI will be able to produce better quality artwork than we can imagine, considering that 1. It will have an infinite visual library of material and references from online and 2. It can crank these out like clockwork. 
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @ScopeDragon
    dont missunderstand me, Im not really scared about AI taking my job or anything. There will always be something to do, even at the point when AI can do all the things we can, and do it better then us humans will always find a way.

For me its all about being prepared. knowing AI will do EVERYTHING we can, but better, at some point is a reality that the quicker you except it, the better you can prepare for it.
     I feel like I'm linking this somewhere around here every moth or so now, but I think this video essay really paints a good picture of the reality to come.
    If anyone is either worried, or interested in AI's role in the future This is a must watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU&amp;t=1s
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    tynew said:

I've also seen a lot of stylized art on the same bar as Overwatch, be cranked out completely from a concept sculpt + procedurally generated textures from substance do 95% of the work. 

please, enlighten me :)
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    In my computer science studies we also have modules about artifical intelligence and learning algorithms. Very complex stuff. But there are tools that enables even single developers to start building such projects. The main problem here is the lack of interesting data to learn from. 
    I am certain that AI in ~200-400 years will take over most of the jobs we know today, because there is no reason to stop this technological advancement as it brings exponential growth of productivity. 
    In the near future though, AI will not take over the creative industry. It rather starts to take over different sectors like the engineering sectors, research sectors and generally data driven sectors. 
    The reason is that AI research is based on data. And the more complex data is, the more difficult it is to implement such algorithms. Now compare the dataset of a 3D character: Rigged, animated, textured with for example Customer Data for an online shop like Amazon. 
    Now compare the complexity of implementing an algorithm which automatically chooses the best placement for rigging bones joints with an algorithm that choose the right advertisement for your customer. There are worlds between these use cases. 

I am not saying AI will not find its way into the gaming industry, but it will be alot later than it will be in other fields. 
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Don't get me wrong, but statements such as this one are said to scare people, to scare competitors. AI won't replace humans at all, it lacks real imagination, real creativity, and that's a fact. It only will make work faster, and that's all. And you know what, i'm still waiting... because my work is much harder now than 15 years ago. I use better tools, but the times and workloads are far superior and greater because i'm asked to do more complex things.

20 years ago, it was said 3d would replace 2D animation... and look, There's more 2D Anime than ever.

10 years ago, or more, it was said we would be using really great computers, with excellent multicore CPUs... and look, we still have the same as 10 years (Intel, 8 threads and 14nm). We won't have PCIE4 in the newest intel platforms, nor DDR5 memories. All Delayed, like happend with DDR4 and too many things. And it's ironic, a super mega duper AMD Ryzen 3900x is still not enough. Actual technology is stucked, and the improvement margin is minimal. And where are those Hard Drives of 100+TB announced back in 2010? Seagate claims they will have 50TBs in 2026... They bring out "Specter and Meltdown" just to force us to buy new cpus+mobos+ram, it's like a forced scheduled obsolescence. 

But well, we always can dream about the future and its miracles, in 20 years we could find a way to inmortality. Days ago, i readed an article about all this, it was related to the Anime Film AKIRA, and how things were not as "they expected".

I also would like to see that "stylized art on the same bar as Overwatch"  :'( 
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    @Blaizer, I honestly disagree with you. What is imagination ? what is creativity and coming up with catching ideas that evoke emotions ?
    Its nothing AI couldnt achieve. Take the process of finding ideas for example: Humans have a lot of emotional memories and general knowledge. When we find ideas, we basically connect random parts of our memory to create something new. We make a new connection between memories and form something new out of it, which most of the times means that idea is not actually new, but is combined of many components that already existed. AI or computer technology in general does that very, very well. Alot faster and more efficiently than the human brain can. Especially since most of the Data nowadays is cloud-based. No human has nearly as much memories as the clouds have.

Especially imagine advertisement, where the creative has to come up with ideas that resonate with their target group. An AI can analyze its target group very, very, very good. So naturally, it can make very, very, very good decisions based on that knowledge. So what color should the background be? The color that most people resonate with. What font should it use ? The font that most people resonate with. Whatever those decision are based one, the result will be effective.

I think the main difference between AI and the human creativity is this phenomenon of breaking out. In german we say "to look over the edge of the plate", basically breaking out of your own comforted thoughts and thinking of weird and random things. That is what makes alot of artists stand out and what makes art special compared to just plain advertisement.
    But also this could be achieved by AI and this behaviour of randomness and arbitrariness is often used  software dev. especially in game development, for example when programming Navigation AI that sometimes chooses "humanly looking" actions over the best and most straightforward ones.

I agree with you though, that AI does not have to be feared in the creative industry. As many have said before, adapting to change and advancement is a natural process. This has happened many, many times before to every economic field there ever was and ever will be.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @Finnn You talk about imagination like it were nothing :) , and it's not something so simple as you may think. We still don't understand how our brain/mind really works. And of course, creativity is not related exclusively to "art" and "emotions", we use our creativity making manual tools for example and for too many other things.

From Cambridge Dictionary, Imagination:
    - The ability to form pictures in the mind. Something that you think exists or is truealthough in fact it is not real or true.
    - The ability to think of new ideas.

A machine can't think in new ideas, it just executes an order/command/instruction of mixing ideas previously defined. We can't expect much more. In contrast to the machine, we may form new ideas in our mind at will, and more, without using our experiencie taken from Reality (there's a spanish saying: "even a blind can imagine").

The simpliest way of mixing ideas is using all the info we get through our eyes or vision, the visual info (we also can get spatial info). But that alone doesn't imply we have developed a good or true imagination. The machine needs not only our vital experience, but the vital experience of millions of humans to achieve something that may be "plastic" artistically talking, not believable (we see instantly: "that's not real", "not new", "not cool", "not beauty"). Using big data, an AI could choose which color is indeed better for a product -chosing the most liked one, easy-, but that's not what i was talking about. There's no app, nor AI that can make decissions for me. And choosing the most liked thing in instagram for example, is not something to be proud of, it's very simple.

Sadly, in an artistic way, a machine would mix things like greeks did a long time ago, like mixing eagle+lion=griffin. And that, in my personal opinion it's not imagination, nor something creative, just childish, ridiculous and plain stupid. Furries included.

Like i said with other words, we also can imagine things we never saw, and that's a fact nobody can negate. We can create forms that never existed in Reality, just using our sense of abstraction, or dream "we are flying". Not all people have that ability developed, the ability to create new things from nothing, "like from the void". And when we see "something new", we tend to say things like: "wow, this guy is incredible, it has true imagination, i could never imagine that!".

In our mind we can play with "atoms", -concepts out of reality-. Could a machine "play" like us? i'd say that Never (a machine has no motivation). The more complex the mixing, the worse for the machine because it doesn't understand human logic at all, just a mathematical logic we programmed on it (AND, NOT, OR, TRUE, FALSE, etc.). Could a machine create a car? a new form of vehicle that actual works? a car design? a life form using genetics and not falling in chimeras? i doubt it. And you know why, because an AI, a machine lacks a very important thing: WILL and ability to understand things. 

Nowadays, the most advanced AI just recognizes things with a failure rate pretty high. There was an accident with a Tesla car that didn't recognize what it was a person, and that person is actually dead. It's not very logic to give AI too many expectations.

A creative example: if you "create a new soldier character", with camo variations, helmet variation or weapon variation, do you really think you are creating something new? the response is no, you don't. You would be just mixing, mixing something like images of "lego bricks", bricks that other person created. Other thing is to create the lego bricks and all what it means, and for that, we need imagination. A machine/AI could never create something like LEGO. This is what makes the difference with artists, some people use Daz Studio girls/basemeshes/autoskin plugins, and others not. Procedural tools won't make us better.

I think the true nature of creation is behind all that. Taking as example the "soldier's weapon" or "legos", did you ask yourself why a weapon has that form? why that design?, or why its parts are made in the way the have been made, or did you know the history of weapons and its evolution?.

I think that as "artists", we opt for the easiest way of "creation", we tend to mix things a lot, we tend to use the same kitbashes, basemeshes, libraries, and we don't understand too many things. It's one of the reasons of why almost all artist need to study human anatomy before making a proper human. We may think AI will solve all our artistic problems, and that's not true, it won't happen, never.

I'm not going to convince you, i know. We all know our brains have two parts, one rational and logic, and irrational. Logically speaking, i have zero expectations with AI, and more watching like AI in gaming doesn't evolved anything in 40 years. So i don't want to fall into irrational expectations about the future of AI. Our technology is not infinite, and we have limits for all. Too many films failed in an epic way with its "predictions" and we are like stucked with our technology, more than a decade. I'm still waiting for a 100TB HDD.

The day we understand our mind, how it really works, and too many other things, then, we might make artificial humans or new life forms using maybe 3d printers?. But being realistic, we are not gods, and that's dreaming hard =) .
  • Octo
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    I think you are overvaluing imagination in production.
    There is typically little room for "playing around" and coming up with things on the fly. Usually you are not hired because you are an "artist". You are hired because you can get a concept or an image and turn it into a prop or whatever is needed.
    And depending on the game imagination has a small role..if you are making a trashcan, a tree or a car, you don't need much imagination, just some basic guidelines and something that fits the style of the location it will be placed in. And style transfer is something AI is getting good at.

"Nowadays, the most advanced AI just recognizes things with a failure rate pretty high. There was an accident with a Tesla car that didn't recognize what it was a person, and that person is actually dead."
    -Self driving AI is statistically safer than human drivers..not sure if that's a fair comparison at this point, as I think AI is mostly tested on cruise mode and not in complex city driving, but humans makes dumb ass mistakes all the time. Not sure why you'd judge the AI more harshly.
    And saying the failure rate for recognition is high isn't the whole truth. It's worse at some things, better than humans at others.

I think you are right in some limitations that might be hard to get past. A human can for example have "happy accidents" and think hmm that looks pretty cool and go with it...I'm sure an AI has tons of "accidents" but I'm not sure how it would identify them as good or not.
    You could also use human guided AI for the best of both worlds.

I think the potential for technology is virtually unlimited. As in if it's theoretically possible, it will be possible at some point, when we have full control of the basic components of matter.
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Blaizer said:
    Like i said with other words, we also can imagine things we never saw, and that's a fact nobody can negate. We can create forms that never existed in Reality, just using our sense of abstraction, or dream "we are flying". Not all people have that ability developed, the ability to create new things from nothing, "like from the void". And when we see "something new", we tend to say things like: "wow, this guy is incredible, it has true imagination, i could never imagine that!".
    We cannot imagine something that is not somehow based on memories. For example, can you think of a color that nobodoy ever thought of before? No, because our imagination is indeed limited. Of course we can come up with ideas that are unique and very abstract. And many people lack of good imagination,  but everything that is in the capabilities of our imagination could theoratically be "imagined" by AI.
    Blaizer said:
    In our mind we can play with "atoms", -concepts out of reality-. Could a machine "play" like us? i'd say that Never (a machine has no motivation). The more complex the mixing, the worse for the machine because it doesn't understand human logic at all, just a mathematical logic we programmed on it (AND, NOT, OR, TRUE, FALSE, etc.). Could a machine create a car? a new form of vehicle that actual works? a car design? a life form using genetics and not falling in chimeras? i doubt it. And you know why, because an AI, a machine lacks a very important thing: WILL and ability to understand things. 
    How are atoms out of reality ? I think Einstein had a solid proof for atoms existence :)
    Can AI design a new form of vehicle? 
    Take a look at this AI designed car:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/3054028/inside-the-hack-rod-the-worlds-first-ai-designed-car
    Of course this design is based on logic, although there are concepts of logic that go beyond the classic ones you listed.
    Fuzzy logic for example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic

When humans designed cars they did so, by following logic. They asked questions: How do we get faster from A to B ? Then they came up with a solution. Thats basically what an AI would do to solve any problem. 
    "a machine lacks a very important thing: WILL and ability to understand things. "
    No, this ability to understand and learn things is the basic concept of modern AI. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning

Blaizer said:
    Nowadays, the most advanced AI just recognizes things with a failure rate pretty high. There was an accident with a Tesla car that didn't recognize what it was a person, and that person is actually dead. It's not very logic to give AI too many expectations.

I dont want to convince you of anything, but I think you are plain wrong in assuming that high expectations on AI are not very logic. 
    Of course they are not as developed as other technologies, yet. I am sure if you read some about this new technology, you will change your mind on your own. AI is the future. If we will witness that future is a different question, but it is very likely for AI to advance and offer solutions for so many use cases including solutions where imagination and creativity is required.