Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I'm usually met with positive feedback, so it's hard to improove.Tell me a few things you don't like

Here is also the link to the full post on artstation if you wish to read more about it or give feedback on other of my works

Replies

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    For the start:
    - Where is the artstation link?
    - Why not post more angles?
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    Cool thread title to get the feedbacks! I gotta try that...

-Looks very bland, hard to distinguish the car from the background
    -Model/texture feels lie PS1 era graphics, I think it's the texturing that's mostly causing that
    -The car needs more going on with the hood and sides to make it more interesting
    -The exhausts look too uniform/straight, like they don't fit with style of the rest of the car. Maybe bend the shape some more, or something to make them more interesting looking.

Hope that's helpful~~~~
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    "a good model can look shit with bad texture and a bad model can look awesome with great texture" - Simon Fenton.

those were one of the first words i heard in the industry. Right now your rust and dirt is everywhere on the car. Ditch the background and make the car your main piece, don't even consider te background right now.

Look at dirty wheels, were does the dirt stay? how much of it is there? Does the colour change depending on how deep it is?
    Where does rust start? Does it change colour depending on where it is, maybe because of the sun or because of the material? look this things up and do it for every material.

for example. Concentrate only on the Chassi of the car atm. Make it so good that everything after needs to be on the same level.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Your textures look like you created a tiling paint/rust, rubber/dirt material and just applied those. There isn't really anything interesting about your texturing. I've just checked it out on ArtStation; your detail of texturing doesn't warrant 6 4k texture sets. Adding a number or racing stripes would help? Your headlights need more polygons, and the inside of your headlights doesn't match the grunge of the rest of the car. Your car is rusted and grungy as hell, but there is no damage. When cars get this rusty, they tend to have holes in them. Would be nice to have a dent or two. Your topology needs a lot of work, and most of the body seems to be made out of one solid piece, which is not how cars are made. If you're making cars, unless they're for mobile or something, you should most definitely be using sub-D modeling. Your render and angle aren't really helping the art.

Do you follow any other vehicle artists? Make sure you're scoping their ArtStations frequently and learn that level of quality you need to hit. Good luck moving forward!
  • ziggah
    rollin said:
    For the start:
    - Where is the artstation link?
    - Why not post more angles?
    Ah! Sorry, I had some troubles uploading the images, apparently I forgot the link too. Here it is https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAzvve
    As for more angles, I didn't want to upload too many pictures, since there are plenty more.... In the artstation link...
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    What are the headlights attached to? 
    It's not necessary for ever tiny detail to be perfectly realistic. But big things that are easy to see at a glance should be believable. Don't let audience catch you slippin!
    As others said, the modeling is being let down by materials and lighting. Clearly you put big effort into the modeling, but didn't put same energy into texturing. You are going to have a fantastic piece once you put some more time into it (and continue seeking real feedback). Good job.
    vavavoom said:
    Cool thread title to get the feedbacks! I gotta try that...
    lol, I think I will begin every single thread of mine like this. "People only love me. Please, somebody hate me!" 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor I don't think the modelling of this car is portfolio worthy, even with more time spent texturing. I'd suggest pushing on and starting a new vehicle, while practicing sub-d, multiple meshes, even distribution of polygons, and more complex shapes.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yeah I agree @Ashervisalis . The modeling can be improved as well. I meant that it looks like they put a lot of time into modeling, but not into the texturing. 
  • ziggah
    When you make a post asking for critiue and not praise. So people praise your post's title xD

Thank you for all of your replies. This is exactly what I was looking for. I reached a point where I'm good enough to know something is off, but can't put my finger on what. Keep in mind, I just quickly sketched over in gimp, so I have a general idea what to do when I go back into substance.
    Look at dirty wheels, were does the dirt stay? how much of it is there? Does the colour change depending on how deep it is?
    Where does rust start? Does it change colour depending on where it is, maybe because of the sun or because of the material? look this things up and do it for every material.

Thank you, this was very specific. For the rust I added curvature mask, overlayed a grunge texture over it and used it to subtract from the curvature mask. Then I added a few drips and random grunge. For the "improoved image(?)" I added even more rust on the bottom and some mud mark on the mudguards, along with some rust on the mudguards, since that's where more water splashes. I made the parts of the tire that protrude darker, since that's where less mud is and rubber is more visible, than on the parts that go in (threads i belive) where there is more mud and it's thicker. I also made the tops less rusty since there would be less water splashing onto it. If there are any changes you think I could still make, please let me know. I also quickly sculpted in some damage and dents.

@vavavoom I added some spikes and smoke stacsk on the hood, along with some window armor, and made the exhausts bent and damaged. I also tried to add some random color differences. Cery low opacity red green and blue overlayed basically over everything, and it worked wonders.

What I'm still wanting to hear in more details tho is how to make the modelling better. I will keep this thread updated, but probably wont get back to this project this year. So look forwards to @ pings from me in like a month, just as you start to forget xD

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm... OK, I'll get really specific.

- Your poly density on your exhaust pipes coming form the bottom of the car are super high. There are so many divisions in the bottom bend, as well as edges around the cylinders. You've got incredibly long rectangles, which is a big no in both games and animation.
    - The curvature of the metal part of the headlights can use more polys.
    - Your doors and hood need to be separate pieces. Your door does not have a handle on it.
    - Your headlights all have poles which have 28 edges going to them, which causes pinching.
    - More polygons needed for the curvature of the wheel bay (whatever that is called). The inside of your wheel bay looks pretty simple as well.
    - Is this model baked?
    - Your headlights don't have beveled edges.

Google some 3D car models and check out their topology and how they worked things out. I don't think your car modeling is bad, it's just not professional level.
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I agree with what has already been said but I want to add one more thing, try to add some contrast to your textures, everything looks a bit flat now.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Here is a nice black look for the mentions on the visual side of things for you to aim for:
    Here is a rusted texture that looks neat if you wanted more details instead of mud/dirt all over, you can add variety to the look and make it pop out more:
    & another with black:
    For some more ideas.

This one here is they type of modeling you might want to be aiming for a.s.a.p.:
    It is a lot for a beginner i'd think but you wanted to get good so there you go.

And finally to help with all that, modeling you go here to learn how to make all those pieces look good and "realistic":

At the moment you don't have the indents that make up the pieces of the car and that adds a really nice dip and break in forms and adds a good shadow separation between the plates you are currently missing.

You can still go with what you had in mind and keep ^ all that for a future, 'inspired', piece as you get better.

Good luck and what others have said, just wanted to add to the replies and encouragement with some visual representations of the goals you should set both for yourself and your piece.