Sketchbook: Chloe Russell

ScriptingError
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ScriptingError polycounter lvl 3
Hey :) I'm Chloe, I'm a uni student studying games art and design. Following are some personal projects that I've been working on in my spare time. The first couple I haven't finished yet, but any critique would be much appreciated.

Here's a hand I modeled in maya and zbrush, then painted in substance painter 2. I'm going to add some more details to it, but haven't quite got the time this week.

Replies

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    And an iron mace strongly inspired by skyrim

I want to improve the wear and rust effects, and also making it look dirtier.
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    A scifi storage crate from alien isolation

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    For a uni project, we had to create a low poly character. This is my second character, which did not go through to the texturing process. It is based of off Ed-E from Fallout New Vegas.
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Based of a image from Orange is the New Black season one i believe. I've put it on hold while I focus on uni work, I'm posting it here so that i dont forget to finish it :smile:

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    A fallout inspired fuel pump, I used this image I found online as a reference for the model: Image result for fallout fuel pump

I then textured it in substance painter using 1k tex maps, keeping fallout 4's colour pallete in mind:

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Another project that I'm working on now that the summer break has begun...I've realised that I have a bad habit of starting projects but not finishing them, so I shall finish this one and then wrap up all of my other projects that I've started since christmas, before i start any new ones.
    I've heard that modeling kitchens is a good way to improve modeling skills, as there are so many different objects in a kitchen. So, here is my kitchen, untextured as yet:

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Done some more work on the kitchen project:
  • universe
    Offline / Send Message
    universe polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Chloe, really nice artworks out here. I'm waiting for more :)
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    universe said:
    Hi Chloe, really nice artworks out here. I'm waiting for more :)

Thank you :smile: I'll be sure to post more soon!
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a short break from the kitchen while i learn Zbrush, by modelling my Golden Retriever puppy:

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Using a concept from the Fallout 4 art book as reference. I want to focus more on improving my 3d modelling skills
    , so I will not texture or uv unwrap this scene. Not yet anyway :)

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    We've been learning substance designer at uni, and I've realised just how awesome the program is! Heres something I've been working on in my free time:
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Another designer Work in progress project :) I need to learn how to make the black areas metallic, but the rest non-metallic. I also need to add a height map to them, which will test my knowledge as I have not really dabbled with that before.

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been super busy with uni work, but now that we have a reading week I thought I'd pick up Substance Designer again! Upon browsing for inspiration, I came across a thread asking for help on how to create a material. Below is my (unfinished) attempt to recreate the image:
    And here is the reference:
    I obviously still have a long way to go, however time is pressing and my bed calls me. I shall continue on with this fun little project tomorrow!

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message

Making a start on a Silver Birch bark texture in Substance Designer! I didn't think it would be easy, but it's proven much more challenging than I thought it would be. I struggled with making the large dark areas looking like they were a different layer to the silver bark, and while I'm still not happy with it using the Quantize node helped alot. I also created a highlight around it which helped. I need to alter the colour, overall damage to the silver layer and the shape of the knot type things. I may also create some smaller lines running horizontally across the bark, as is typical of silver birchs....the pattern I have at the moment is too large I think.
    Overall though, this already looks better than I thought it would, which is encouraging. I'm hoping to finish this tomorrow, thursday at the latest, so any feedback would be amazing!
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message

Tweaked it a little bot, and applied it to my tree. The uv's are terrible, I'll update them later. I've done a lot of them for uni recently and wanted a brief reprive from them.
    In addition to the birch texture, I also painted on a moss texture that I've made on some of the darker areas (using substance painter) I need to tweak this though, as it's too subtle at the moment.
  • MartinCi_01
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinCi_01 polycounter lvl 2
    Nice bark texture, the tree looks good to.
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Martin!
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    model

Back at uni so not had much time to work on my own stuff, but I have put the tree in sketchfab. It's not perfect, but once I've added some leaves it should look better. It's going to be part of a larger scene, so I'm going to add some leaves and call it done for now, so I can move onto the next item.
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message

So I wasn't quite happy with it, so i tweaked the bark texture again. I'm still not happy with it, I might redo it completely in the summer but for now I really am calling it done. I'm picking up an leaf texture I began making a few months ago, my next project is implementing the folllowing two leaves into an autumn leaf covered floor texture:

The viens need some work for sure, I think I can apply what I learned during the bark texture to this one to make it more multi-layered, because at the moment everything looks very flat. Also the colours need some work, it's too blotchy currently.

The above has the same problems, also I think the edge may be too smooth so I'll do some more research then tweak it accordingly.
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a new scene! This is my WIP shot: I can't claim any credit for the water, I downloaded that from the UE4 store. Everything else was created by me

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update-Still to do:

More Unique Rocks

Foliage texture (like grass to place along the ground and around the rocks)

Mountain rock/mud texture

Vertex paint moss/mountains etc

Lighting/fog atmosphere

Sky is ue4 default currently, so I'd like to alter that by adding clouds or something.

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    Some work in progress shots of one of my assets from a university project I'm working on:
    Still got a looooong way to go with this, but any feedback is much appreciated!
  • ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    The finished University project:

More shots can be found on my artstation post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2OmdA
    In this post, I included a few marmoset scenes of some of my assets: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v1wwEd

It's not yet the standard I hoped for, so I'm going to rework the scene at some point. But for now I'd really like a break from this project.

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    New Substance Designer project! Inspired by the Nodevember challenge, speciffially the 'Treasure' prompt, I had a crack at making a coin. This is made 100% in Substance designer, and rendered in marmoset. I'm not quite happy with the roughness and dirt on it yet, so any feedback would be much appreciated! :)

• ScriptingError
    Offline / Send Message
    I've layered the coins on top of one another to create a tilable material, and I've put it in a super basic marmoset scene- I've never really been comfortable in marmoset, so I thought it about time I forced myself to use it more. The coins lost a lot of detail because I made the coins quite numerous (about 40 per tile)

Edit: Here it is with less red lighting: