Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Mesh shimmering/flickering problem

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DeeK polycounter lvl 3
Hi I'm having a problem with the mesh of a character is flickering when it's playblasted/rendered. It's also happening on some of the assets. It kinda looks like the normals are flipping inside out or something. But the mesh is fine when it's on the grid, when it's moved away from the grid it starts flickering again. It's not a camera problem and I don't know what it could be, any ideas?

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    I don't know squat about animation but have you tried deleting the mesh's history before animating? It looks like you have a phong material applied and the shimmering is the light because there's not enough geometry there. The light is interpolating between larger flat surfaces that are not quite planar, so the shading is being weird. Try to make sure your faces are planar, increase the smoothing angle, and add more geometry to the object.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tinkered with the camera clipping planes? Are these assets VERY far from 000 in these shots (like transforms over 10k)?

Failing that, check the meshes for doubled faces or edges maybe.
  • DeeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeK polycounter lvl 3
    Hi guys thanks for the suggestions, it was the distance from the grid as you said, it's all working fine now :smiley: