Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Kio - yeah I tried svg and it seems to export, but then maya will not read tthe curves
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Curves can be transferred via OBJ. Need to be NURBS inside Blender and have the NURBS write option in the OBJ exporter checked.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @thomasp I'm curious to ask - I know you adopted Blender a few years ago, mainly interested for hair stuff, I think. Do you use Blender nowadays fulltime for professional work (in conjuction with ZBrush I assume), or do you find yourself going back to Max/Maya to do certain tasks?
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers thomasp. that works fine.

still trickier to convert my nice blender  hair to a final hair cards version, but am working on it

The problem with blender is that there is no quick way to align the hair cards to the hair cap. xgen has 'align to surface' using the  twist brush

blender has minimum, tangent and z-up, none of which provide good results
    you can manually twist the orientation of  the  hair cards but when you have quite a lot of them, it beomes a real pain

Currently blender has only a partial solution, unless you want to place all the cards manually.

nice addon called hair tool i think it was , but it costs money :)

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @Ruz I think you will find that Hair Tool solves that issue and saves you the roundtrip and probably then some. Then again I have never looked at xGen at all, wouldn't know how it compares. In Blender you have orientation and 'scale' on the CV level and at least as a former longtime Max user (does that answer your question @Justo ?) these work a million times better for me than anything I ever had access to to make hair geo. Also totally reliable in comparison and whatever I set for the CVs stays consistent even if separated from or attached to another curve.
    I am on 2.79 though. If you have 100's or in some cases 1000's of curves in the scene I don't find 2.8 useable at this point.

The complexity I work on these days while relying on Hair Tool, I would have totally given up on in the past and if you sat me in front of another software I would honestly not have the faintest idea how to approach the job and definitely no way of changing things after the fact.

• Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am tempted to buy that hair tool add on, looks pretty good. i think the same guy has done a blender cloth simulator, which is looking really good
    re  xgen, its nice, but its the buggiest  crash fest i have ever used. It does do the job though if you can keep maya working long enough to convert whatever curves you have from either zbrush or blender.
    scupting in xgen is ok also, but you get lots of inter penetration which takes time to iron out. hell maybe i am just using it wrong I don 't know

I think the reason I shy off buying 3rd party software like hair tool is that they might stop supporting it in future, but in this case Its proabably worth it.
    Trying to place hair cards manually is just a real pain in the bum, even with good controls, like tilt or twist/orientation
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @thomasp If you're still on 2.79, the problem is that most of Jose's tool, including the hair tool is out of date, since he's only updating his addons to 2.80 and onwards. Same with other addon developers in these days. 2.79 is still great, I admit that, and I use it from time to time. Mostly finishing some older projects with it at the moment.

Still I've adapted 2.80 pretty smoothly... after configuring it to resemble 2.79 all the way from the shortcuts though.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Not sure if mentioned yet, but I thought this was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpcKPJTmqSI
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    Have they added 'constrain to face' option in 2.81? I am almost ready to jump onto Blender if that is the case.
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, I need a suggestion for addons for Boolean and for Remesh or quick Retopo for hard surface models (blender 2.8).  Not for sci-fi modelling or modelling for games, but mainly for automotive modelling -> quick visualisation and to see some design elements eg - various versions of holes/slats  on a fender, gills, some interesting bumper holes etc and then to create a clean mesh.

To create these holes (in the image) I used Bool-Tools.  If I want to try various options for these holes - the number of holes, orientation, 2 Rows of holes etc, Will an addon like Box-cutter be faster. Any other free addons I could consider? 

I was considering box-cutter. But I see that Fluent has 2 features - 1) a grid on which we can draw a shape. 2) adding support loops around the boolen/ hole. Box cutter doesn’t have these features i think. But it has been around for long so I assume overall it works smoothly and has less bugs.

For Clean mesh - I used Quad-Remesh trial version. Works well but it is expensive for me right now. I'll need a suggestion for this too.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Not sure if mentioned yet, but I thought this was neat

Bloody awesome !!!!
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Does Blender have a way u can use the clone brush to sample a part of a pbr material and paint on another area of a mesh? Not texture.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    Have they added 'constrain to face' option in 2.81? I am almost ready to jump onto Blender if that is the case.
    What exactly do you mean by constrain to face?
    melviso said:
    Does Blender have a way u can use the clone brush to sample a part of a pbr material and paint on another area of a mesh? Not texture.
    Usually you do not draw materials. You would just assign the same material to the faces where you want to have it. Go into edit mode for the mesh and open the Material context in the Properties editor. Then select the faces where you want to have the material applied, select the material you want in the material list in the properties editor and then click Assign below the list.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    I have imported a FBX file into Blender (exported from Maya). All objects in the scene are parented to a null object (locator, empty object), the null is rotated 90 degrees in X and scaled down to a factor of 0.02 (probably to compensate the fact that in Maya Y is up, and in Blender Z is up).

I'd like to unparent all the objects from that null, while retaining the correct scale and orientation (should just stay as is in the Blender viewport). When I drag-and-drop all items into a new collection outside of the null, the items stay as they are, but the object names parented to the null are grayed out in the item list. When I delete the null object, the entire scene scales way up (from factor 0.02 to 1 probably), and rotates 90 degrees in X.

What steps do I need to take to unparent the objects from the null, but have the objects stay in place exactly as they were before unparenting them?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 Don't use the outliner for parenting operations. Instead select the objects you want to unparent and then press Alt+P. Then select Unparent and keep Transform.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 Don't use the outliner for parenting operations. Instead select the objects you want to unparent and then press Alt+P. Then select Unparent and keep Transform.
    Thanks! Shortcut didn't work (probably because I use 'Industry Compatible' keymap), but I found the option in the menu (Object -> Parent -> Clear and keep Transformation).

Thanks for your help!
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    New question (sorry!). In that same FBX I imported I can see an image in the reflections of materials. This must be an environment map defined somewhere obviously, but I cannot find the location where this is actually loaded in. An environment map can be imported in the 'World Properties' -> Color slot, but no map is defined there, and if I load a different one into that slot, nothing changes in the reflections in the viewport.

Is there a different location where an environment map could be loaded in?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 that depends on where you see it. If you see it in rendered view, then it is the one in the world settings. If you see it in lookdev, then you can change it with the viewport settings. Click on the shading drop-down arrow in the top right of your viewport and then on the cog next to the HDRi sphere.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, thanks again for your time!
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    I scaled up, the car to real world dimensions, and I get these artifacts on the mesh. These are not there if the model is scaled down and the size is kept small.
    (I changed the xyz Dimensions in the n-panel,   This was a mesh imported as fbx )

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @sinhead I think those are related to the Z-Buffer of the viewport camera. I get those as well, if clip start of the view is really small. (< 1mm). You check/change that in the right hand shelf of the viewport. (N)

Edit: Actually I am not 100% sure if it's just a small clip start or a large range of start to end.
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) that solved it. I had set the clip start to 0.001. At 1 it is perfect.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i finally had some time to really work with 2.8
    damn, its sexy and has a lot of new features i like
    will take some time to loose the muscle memory from some of the old shortcuts though
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    As a long time Blender user (about 15 years) the move to 2.8 has been difficult for me - quite a sea-change -  but I've been having great fun with the Grease Pencil tools and I'm loving the ease and speed of view-port rendering with Eevee.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    2.82 Anyone figured out how to make grease pencil strokesi into editable elements? The convert menu items dont seem to be working.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    Stupid question. I am looking for a keyboard shortcut for Select -> Select More/ Less -> Next Active. I use this functionality quite a lot (coming from Modo). I can select a single polygon, then select the one next to it, then press 'next active', and it will just select each subsequent polygon each time I press the shortcut. Nice to select patterns also.

I am unable to find a keyboard shortcut for that in the Preferences though. Is there one? There is a shortcut for Mesh -> 'Select More' which just expands the selection in all directions (up arrow), but I'd like to define a shortcut for 'next active'. 

I'd also be nice to make edge selections more visible. Selected edges are barely noticable at all. As I have read though nothing seems to be planned in that direction unfortunately...
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 That's actually a feature request @Justo linked two pages ago. There is no such functionality in Blender right now as far as I am aware. Here is the link again: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/zXcbbc/

As for the width of the edge selections I can't find any settings from having a quick look.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 That's actually a feature request @Justo linked two pages ago. There is no such functionality in Blender right now as far as I am aware. Here is the link again: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/zXcbbc/
    Ok, thanks. Having this kind of functionality in a sub-menu only doesn't make a whole lot of sense obviously, this calls for a shortcut that can be pressed in quick succession. Lets hope it will be fixed.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 why do you mean submenu and "fixed"? It's a feature that just doesn't exist yet and is suggested to be included. The suggestion even lists keyboard shortcuts. Or do you mean the plug-in that was linked for 2.7X in the comments?
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    The feature itself exists (in the newest Alpha I am using), it is usable via sub-menu with Select -> Select More/Less -> Next Active. It works by clicking this menu-item. There just isn't a shortcut for this listed in the Preferences, or I was unable to find it. It might just be missing due to the fact its still an alpha version of course.

It doesn't make sense to click this sub-menu each time to select the next polygon. It works, but it'd be faster to just select the polygons manually right now, especially because the menu closes each time I click it. I would like to be able to define a shortcut, then press that shortcut to select the rows of polygons faster.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 OK man you got me good. Two things:
    1: I did not even know this existed. This is awesome! :D
    2: For me it is already showing shortcuts in the menu. With the default layout it is Shift + Ctrl + Numpad +/-

And lastly with that combo I was able to find it in the preferences. It is under Mesh -> Select Next/Previous Element.

Hey @Justo one of your feature requests is already halfway included. :D
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @f1r3w4rr10r guten tag good sir. What feature do you mean? I checked both requests and didn't notice any change, unless I'm reading it wrong or not aware of something else posted elsewhere.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo I just mean that the expand selection along edge feature already exists in Blender. Granted it only expands in one direction where the feature request expands in both and you have to select two edges along the ring/loop beforehand, but I think that is already fairly usable.

Also see a few of my previous posts.

• sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 - the shortcut mentioned by flr3w4 is working for me too - Blender 2.81 latest build. 
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Custom bevel profiles committed for 2.82 (2.81 should be officially released today).

• wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead said:
    @wilson66 - the shortcut mentioned by flr3w4 is working for me too - Blender 2.81 latest build. 
    Shortcuts don't work for me because I use the 'Industry Standard' keymap (Maya style navigation ect). It changes the shortcuts.

Another quick question: I have textured a couple of assets with Substance Painter, and assembled a fairly large scene in Blender using those assets (and a lot of Collection instances).

I have plugged all the maps exported from Painter (basecolor, metallic, normal, roughness) myself (Principled BSDF).

The textures show up ok in the viewport (Eevee), the only problem is that metallic materials don't look metallic at all (completely dull, no reflectivity at all). Maps for the metallic attribute of the shader seem ok. What do I need to do to have metallic materials where the metallic attribute is controlled by a black-and-white image map actually be displayed like metal in the viewport?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 That's why I also described the path where you can find the entries in the keybind menu.

And my bet for the maps is, that your roughness is too high. At least it sounds like it, if you are actually looking at it in Look Dev or Rendered mode.
    Ifyou are looking at it in Solid mode, then you have to change the appearance in the Viewport Display settings of the material properties.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    Any way to quickly invert a grayscale image (roughness image) in the Shader Editor? There is an invert node, but it seems to output color.

Anyhow, there seems to be something awry here (with my simple shader setup). It doesn't work if I just invert the roughness in Photoshop. 

If I plug the metallic map into the shader, the entire asset simply displays as metallic. It ignores the areas defined on the map. Not sure what I might be doing wrong here.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @wilson66 screenshots would probably help more at this point. Of the shader mostly, but the viewport couldn't hurt either.
  • xrg
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @wilson66
    On the topic of Eevee/principled shader not displaying pbr content correctly : if I am not mistaken, merely plugging the maps into the default slots will not work - or at best things will be plugged, but with the wrong settings. However if you go into the node editor and set things up correctly there (non-color data for metalness and roughness, and so on) things will behave as expected, with good parity with Toolbag and UE.

This behavior led me to believe that the principled shader was unfinished for the longest time, even though everything seems to be there and functioning.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    Curiously I never had that kind of problem. Usually you can do quite some mangling with the node editor data types. I do some vector maths here and there with nodes that usually want a float and stuff like that.
  • Elarionus
    Offline / Send Message
    Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
    I'm sort of curious, and I wasn't sure if this was the place to post it, or outside of this thread, but I was wondering, what place does Blender have in my workflow? I tend to make game art, but most of what Blender does seems to stay within Blender. Sculpt, Model, Retop, UV, Render, Texture, Materials, etc...it all seems to be done in here.

My normal workflow is:

ZBrush (if organic) > 3DS Max > Rizom UV > Marmoset (Bake) > Substance Painter >Marmoset (For a Render) > Unreal Engine.

If I'm doing a rigged model, I hop into Maya instead.

I'm going to graduate soon and lose access to Autodesk products. I've never been able to use them commercially anyways. I was wondering, where exactly does Blender fit into my workflow? It would technically be replacing Max, and only Max. It can't compete with Maya yet, and it's missing a ton of stuff that you need for game art. It's good for just basic models, but that's all I've been able to use it for. Am I missing parts of Blender that could help me? I've heard lots about Eevee, but it seems like a hassle, since I'll just be texturing externally anyway.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not used all of the software you listed, but for me that pipeline would shrink down to Blender, Substance Painter and Unreal. That's it.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter

I have pretty much same workflow as you, with the exception of Blender replacing both 3ds Max and RizomUV. Since I do all the hard surface HP and LP modeling, or organic LP retopology, and UV unwrapping in Blender.

"It can't compete with Maya yet, and it's missing a ton of stuff that you need for game art. It's good for just basic models, but that's all I've been able to use it for."

In my opinion, you got it all wrong, mate. Blender is capable of doing the whole pipeline of creating a game asset. Even sculpting, especially in newly released 2.81, which has very ZBrush-esque sculpting tools built-in. You can do hard surface and organic modeling and/or sculpting, UVs, baking, texturing, rigging, skinning, animating and rendering.

But as I mentioned I have pretty much same workflow as you, I do baking in Marmoset and texturing in Substance Painter, since those are so exceptionally amazing tools for those purposes. Still, you can do all the modeling and UVs in Blender if you wish to make a switch. Just saying.

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @Elarionus it will fit in your 3ds Max place. BUT, Blender is very basic, and it will need a few add-ons, mostly paid add-ons in order to "shine" in modelling like 3ds Max. Give it a try, it's free and you don't lose anything.
  • Michael Knubben
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    pro tip : don't go too low on the numbers with the new remesher, it will take long and it will not run smooth

i really like what blender is doing :)
  • Elarionus
    Offline / Send Message
    Elarionus polycounter lvl 3

I have pretty much same workflow as you, with the exception of Blender replacing both 3ds Max and RizomUV. Since I do all the hard surface HP and LP modeling, or organic LP retopology, and UV unwrapping in Blender.

"It can't compete with Maya yet, and it's missing a ton of stuff that you need for game art. It's good for just basic models, but that's all I've been able to use it for."

In my opinion, you got it all wrong, mate. Blender is capable of doing the whole pipeline of creating a game asset. Even sculpting, especially in newly released 2.81, which has very ZBrush-esque sculpting tools built-in. You can do hard surface and organic modeling and/or sculpting, UVs, baking, texturing, rigging, skinning, animating and rendering.

But as I mentioned I have pretty much same workflow as you, I do baking in Marmoset and texturing in Substance Painter, since those are so exceptionally amazing tools for those purposes. Still, you can do all the modeling and UVs in Blender if you wish to make a switch. Just saying.

The main thing I really need for proper game art is true smoothing groups. The hard edges are not the same thing. And it could really use some real rigging and weighting tools too....
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to bash any software or prize one over the other, but why do you need smoothing groups? They are just an abstraction of what hard edges do and more limited while doing so.

Rigging and weight painting is also there in plain Blender.