Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Princess and the Pea Diorama - WIP

triangle
Offline / Send Message
monagart triangle
Hello! I'm new to polycount, but have been wanting to post for a while. I've just started working on a diorama for a university project, and thought I'd log it here.

I'm doing a diorama inspired by 'The Princess and the Pea'. So far I have a big reference/mood board and have been doing iterations of  blockouts to get a feel for the environment. I'm still thinking of a few more props for the room, and building on some of the shapes to make them more interesting (eg. the table, bed). Any feedback on my current blockout would be great. I'm thinking of doing a quick paintover of it when I'm finished before I move on to making the assets. Also ignore the topology, it won't be used and this was just made for speed and iteration :)

Replies

• monagart
    Offline / Send Message
    monagart triangle
    Hello! Back to update my progress with this so far. I done a quick paintover of my blockout to try and capture the overall look and feel of the diorama. I also have a big moodboard with a ton of references and inspiration I'm working on, so I'll see how much of this changes!

I've broke the scene down into the assets and materials I need. I'm sculpting a few things, mainly unique objects like the bed and flag, and I'm going to use tiling materials and trim sheets for the rest. Here are what I have sculpted so far: The flag and spire, the table, a wood beam, the rug, the battlement (?), and two bricks, one for above the window and one for the steps. The rug and tablecloth look a little bare just now, but I plan to add more details in the textures with them. 

I'm still trying to figure out how to tackle the broken walls. Using a tiling texture for the main wall and using smaller brick assets at the broken part seems to be the way to go, but I'm not totally sure if it would be able to be done fully with a material. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know :) 

• monagart
    Offline / Send Message
    monagart triangle
    I am also creating a character for another class just now, so decided to tie it into my environment. I've just finished up with the sculpt. It ended up taking fairly longer than anticipated, characters aren't my strong point, but it's been enjoyable so far. Now back to finishing off some sculpts for the environment before I move on to the next steps!
  • monagart
    Offline / Send Message
    monagart triangle
    I haven't updated this in a while because I've been kept pretty busy, but I'm now finished my diorama! I thought I'd share some more of my sculpts and materials before I put up my finals. From left to right, top to bottom I have sculpted: the bed canopy, ottoman, pillow, another pillow, mattress, another mattress, chamber pot and box.

This is the wood material I made for the floor using substance designer. I basically just used edge loops and and cut out different planks from the texture to make the cut away effect I was aiming for in my diorama, you'll be able to see what I mean in my next post!
    Some more materials I made in substance designer, from left to right: brick wall, roof and stained glass window. I had the more fun with the stained glass, mainly because it's so colourful and I played around with that a lot.

• monagart
    Offline / Send Message
    monagart triangle
    I thought I'd update this with the final renders of my environment, taken in Unreal 4! I'm really happy with how this turned out. I know I haven't had any response to these posts at all, but if anyone comes across this and has feedback for me I'd still really appreciate it for moving forward. I only started modelling just over a year ago and I'm always looking to improve :)