Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: JonH

jth852
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
jth852 polycounter lvl 2
I've looked through a bunch of these the last few days and all the great work has really inspired me to do more and improve my own skills so why not make one of these myself. I'm hopefully going to post something every few days, mostly with quick turn projects and occasionally updates on bigger scenes.

I am 100% open to any feedback on anything posted here.

This is my first realistic gun I'm working on. Its a generic 9mm. Modeled in just Maya so far. I think my next project will be another realistic gun but built in zBrush using the zModeler brush and live boolean.
I got the body built out so its about time to clean it up and reduce the poly count, make the creases, and then make the high poly.

Replies

• jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Smooth version (is it still a smooth version for hard surface?) All the small pieces are clean geometry with UV shells unfolded. Low poly body of gun needs to be optimized and UV layout finished and then on to texturing. The tooling on the barrel and surface details on the grip will be done via texture in Substance painter.
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Went back and separated the slide from the grip so it could be more realistically animated. Re did the UV layout and started some basic stuff in substance painter.
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Finally finished my first attempt at a realistic handgun. It took about 24 hours of work. Learned a good bit from the process. It should make the next one way easier and then also end up with a better final result. But all in all I'm happy with how it turned out.

• jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Started work on some basic stylized environment pieces. The idea is to create a small library of stylized assets that can be used to make a good level. I think every other project I've done has been more like here is a reference, make this the end result. And while I still used modular kits I built its still been pretty unique stuff. Nothing that I could build many levels from. SO here goes. Some rocks to start.
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    7 down 7 to go
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Finished my rocks, changed the color to less of a desert theme. OG i though that I could do a sort of HSV adjustment on the texture in UE4 in real time to change it buuut I couldn't figure out how to do that so I changed the color to a greyish to fit the shapes of the rocks. Made just a couple rock formations but I think its definitely enough to populate an environment. Ground texture should be coming next.
  • allmighty_thunder
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    Oooh, I like the style for that, I think that the edge highlights are a little too consistent right now and I would vary the line weight for those.
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    @allmighty_thunder Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do about that