Home Featured Artwork

Sci-FI Corner Room Scene

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
justintaylor polycounter lvl 10
Hey everybody.  I have been wanted to make a good Sci-fi portfolio piece for a while. Did some looking around the internet which lead me to this concept piece by Alexey Yakovlev. Really loved the look and feel of the piece and was sold on it instantly. 

Got started on the low poly and tried to break off a few sections so it can be more modular for Unreal. However on some parts i was having fun making and  so i might have made it a bit more detailed than i intended at the initial stage of the project but oh well.

Alexey yakovlev engine room

Replies

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, finished of the low and made the highpoly, just need to uv and then be baking it all down on to the low. Any Crit is always welcome. 

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Your modeling work is super clean here, but I'd strongly consider making this more modular as you mentioned you might do. Just because in a production environment, this type of corner would usually not be made of unique pieces. So it will make a better portfolio piece if you are able to demonstrate how you broke it down into modular components.
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you . Yeah i am going to be posting up a few breakdown images of the modular parts/sections.
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started off by getting the scene into unreal and then moving on to the first texture pass.

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I then started to play around with the lighting and materials in scene some more.However a few of the materials where not reacting to light how i wanted them to so. To fix this i then went back and re did most of the textures in substance painter again. The scene is starting to come together at this point. 

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hologram added

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some subtle animation to the hologram.

• sargisstg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargisstg polycounter lvl 6
    Good job! I liked the hologram. 
    I see you have many black corners in your scene. Try to increase the base color values of your objects to mid-range or brighter values, it will help the GI to be more visible. They affect how much visible the lighting will be. For example, darker values make the lighting less noticeable.
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i went off and sat through some lighting videos and managed to add some lighting to the scene. I also added various decals to the room, still need to work on some signs and other decals but i think most of it is done. Next on the to do list is to look into animations in unreal and hopefully after that some texture clean up.

If anybody has any crit on my lighting or anything about my scene tbh i would be more than happy to hear it :)

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargisstg said:
    Good job! I liked the hologram. 
    I see you have many black corners in your scene. Try to increase the base color values of your objects to mid-range or brighter values, it will help the GI to be more visible. They affect how much visible the lighting will be. For example, darker values make the lighting less noticeable.
    Hi thank you very much it actually means a lot to hear it XD. Yeah i agree with you tbh, even with lighting some of the corners still feel to dark. Going to have a try at making the materials brighter in unreal and if that fails back to substance i go guess XD
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animation's to the fans added finally along with some dust particles. It's just a shame you don't see more of the fans but oh well.

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    I like what you have done so far looks very clean, but with a good amount of variation in the colour and roughness values. I will be taking inspiration from this because i have to rework my textures for a UE4 scene my self. 

How did you make the piping and wires on the floor? 
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So apart from making and adding some more decals, i had some space left in my light box and thought might as well extend the scene a bit. Decided to make a lift in the scene to make it seem like it can be actually accessible and basically just reused my assets and added some new lighting. Additionally for the steam and dust particles, they are just the ones that come with UE4.

For the actual renders i am primarily going to still try match it up with the concept and have a few other angles.

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    I like what you have done so far looks very clean, but with a good amount of variation in the colour and roughness values. I will be taking inspiration from this because i have to rework my textures for a UE4 scene my self. 

How did you make the piping and wires on the floor? 
    Thank you very much! So the way i made the wires was by firstly making a cv curve outline, then going to generate, add curve utilities then add brush stroke and playing around in the setting (all in maya 2018). After that i made a highpoly and baked the detail down in substance. 
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    This looks great. Some things to think about that won't add to much to the work load but might help.

Making one of the panels popped up and at an angle to make it look like its being worked on. 

Adding a corridor to help give the scene a little more focal interest by turning one of the wall panels 90 degrees, could also add a door trim to it to make it look like its got a shut off safety door?
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely forgot to post the final renders of the scene. Added some volumetric light to scene and just played around with some of the lights. Will probably add a gif of the scene tomorrow.

Apart from that going to be calling this portfolio piece finished now, was a great fun scene to work on and actually gained a lot from it.

Quick breakdown shot of all the models used in my scene.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is dope!
    Haha cheers, the renders  managed came out really nice and crisp  :)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Amazing, well done, its improved so much, like 110% :) 

And congratulations on the frontage :) 
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Yep nice scene, gratz ^^
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I like the lightsaber lighting rod! The wall panel lighting and color is a bit too uniform for my tastes (The floors and walls being the same color once lit in the scene/ it's screaming for contrast for me), but I understand that's more or less subjective; great job! 
  • xrayftw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man !!! Material is awesome ! I like lighting also ! Good job!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Did a quick tweak in ol' photoshop to show what  a little more color variation on the walls/flooring could look like. 
    orig:

Updates:

I'd also really consider making that railing a color or steel or something with a bit more contrast. As it's the focal point of the scene. A spotlight on the elevator from above would be good too. (If done, I'd reduce the amount of light from the wall panels).

https://img-new.cgtrader.com/items/1895809/663b1e6d3e/stainless-steel-railings-high-and-low-poly-3d-model-obj-mtl-3ds-fbx-dxf-stl-dae.jpg