Home Career & Education

Resume help -- how can I improve?

natman
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
natman null
Hi all! I'm a junior in college and I'm really aiming to get an internship for the summer -- but I'm not sure if my resume's up to snuff. I could really use some pointers if anybody could lend an opinion. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Put your Artstation link or portfolio up top.
    Also, put the job title you want. Do you want to be known as an Animator? or 3D Artist? A title near your name, contact info, and portfolio site, would be ideal.
    Maybe ditch the italics font? I'm not sure. The Q in Quincy, IL looks nice, but I'm not sure if it helps. Just have something simple to read and look at.
    The rest seems pretty fine. I think the more you gain experience in the field, you can remove some jobs that aren't as relevant, but for now, it's fine. 
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You want do put relevant experience on your CV, studios wont care that you worked in a bakery etc. And like mentioned before add an portfolio link. Your portfolio will be more important than your resume to people who will be reviewing your application. Good luck :)
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    You say you're a junior in college looking for an internship, but you describe your role in the first project as "senior animator". That's weird. Unless you have a very good reason for that title, just call yourself an animator.

As others have said, trim down the list of non-industry jobs to your current one. Make it very clear what role you're going for (I'm guessing tech animation? But I honestly don't know). Re-arrange your skills section to emphasize the sort of work you're aiming for. And put a like to your Artstation and a direct link to your demo reel (assuming you are, in fact, going for animation/tech animator positions) right at the top.
  • brittanydrewapicture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brittanydrewapicture polycounter lvl 7
    Definitely put your portfolio as one of the foremost elements. I'd even say instead of your location. Have it as an essential like your name and email. I'd recommend making a personal portfolio site. Personally it feels more professional and collected than an external site but it does work. With a site you have a bonus of having everything available on there, your bio, portfolio, resume, reel + shot list for your reel. Recruiters only would need to have your link saved.

I'd dress it up too, right now it feels like you just typed it in word. Especially if you're going for a more artistic role, which I second adding the title of what you'd like to do. I'd remove your grocery position and only list the relevant. It's okay if it's only two positions in the beginning, what will matter is your portfolio and references if requested. 

Feel free to take a look at my site for reference. Looking at how others set their site/resume in the position you want will help you out! 
    brittanydrew.com