Home Technical Talk

3ds Max hard surface workflow

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi community,
Im using the QuadChamfer/Turbosmooth workflow in 3ds Max and im having troubles with hard edges next to curby surfaces.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Aside for your fencing/chamfer support edges being too tight, you've got these large faces with no supporting geometry (the blue dotted faces i added) and also no supporting loops to hold that corner detail in place. This may do the trick, but i can't tell if the surface is curved or not. If it is, you've got too little geometry to establish the curvature, and adding these loops will fix the corner detail, but it'll give also you some gradient and pinching artifacts.
  • Gaston8842
    im going to give a try. if i note some pinching i will smooth it on zbrush. thank you very much!

• LoganCDN
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganCDN polycounter lvl 10
    This is why I always recommend using crease weights for edges and vertecies instead of adding new control edges or chamfers to try to artificially influence. You can get a much more trusted control of the results when using a sub divisional algorithm/tool (and the crease weights will transfer over to zBrush via FBX) so its a huge bonus that allows you to also work freely.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @LoganCDN If you were to crease those hard edges, you'd still get the same artifacting.,Those large faces will try to smooth out without any reinforcing geometry, and just bleed over like in the images.
  • Gaston8842
    i try once the Crease/OpenSubdivision workflow and it was very frustrasting for me. the solution that @Kanni3d give was very helpfull though.