Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Zaulta

Replies

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Tried painting, but I made a big mistake by making the skin tone too saturated with orange and it messed up the color of his skin : ^). I need to be more careful lol. There was a lot of other things wrong also, so I just started over.

Also tomorrow I'm attending national portfolio day even though I don't have a portfolio lol : ^). I'll try to tell what they will say on here if I can. Just bringing all of my sketchbooks and a usb.

A cardboard sculpture I've been working in my art class over the past two weeks or so. I wanted to make a portrait so I could use a my own reference for more extreme angles lol. Probably will be done by next week.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    So I went to portfolio day and brought most of my sketchbooks : ^). Came back home very late also.

The first guy I talked to was a photography professor. He said that my technical skills and technique were very good, but I need to get out of only working in my sketchbooks, make more finished works, and have more variety in general.

The second person was the contemporary art professor and she also said my technical skills and technique were pretty good also. Her criticisms was that I'm too much in my comfort zone and I'm not allowing my creativity to show, which is true because what I mostly do is just study after study and she says that it's causing me to progress inch by inch instead by leaps and bounds. She says if I have an idea, and I think I do have ideas, I should just do it and not be afraid if it's bad. I still have a very bad habit where I quit a project before I start and that's why I only do studies lol and I've always looked at art way too practically.

Gonna take her advice and start painting and planning out my ideas whenever I can.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Thought I should do Inktober cause it was assigned by my art class (I was planning to bs it at the end) and to help bring out some ideas I have cause I'm a wussy : ), so two birds with one stone < 3. The contemporary art professor said something like don't be afraid to make bad art, but I'm still in the habit I guess. Though I think it's a good start. Gonna be doing Inktober for the rest of the week.

Did this one first and I hate it lol. My crits are on that pink sticky.

I redid the prompt above, but she could've looked up more instead of straightish in front. I also need to study hands more, I've been putting it off for a very long time hehe. I think I should try to move away from just portraits also.

Was getting tired, so I'll finish this one tomorrow.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Finished the thing and started the sketch of some others : ).

refs:

First time drawing a dwarf : ^) and it was a little hard. Will probably change it more when I ink it.

Lots of sketches at school today

• vaskopetrov
    Offline / Send Message
    vaskopetrov polygon
    Damn, you've improved so much since the beginning of this sketchbook. Well done
  • Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    @vaskopetrov Thanks for the kind words < 3. Nice to hear that once in a while cause I never know if I am lol.

Inked up the the 'freeze' topic and finished the sketch for 'build' : ).

I think I know why I don't let myself to be creative. It's probably imposter syndrome or something like that. I was watching the recent draftsmen show from proko while I was inking. They were talking about it and I related a lot with what thy were saying lol. I don't think I'm good enough to do stuff from imagination, so I always stick to my studies and stuff. It's always been like that : (.
  • Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    I've been busy and tired with school past few days @_@. Worked on more inktober stufff.

Main refs for 'Husky':

I think my poses and themes look way too similar to each other.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Was on a long trip yesterday, but still got stuff done : ^). Also my stuff from today.
    Enchanted and frail

Swing and pattern (pattern was inspired from an instagram artist, but forgot the user : (

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Was really not feeling it today..

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Busy with homework : ^) and gonna be tomorrow also, but tomorrow the school is having a 3 hour free period event, so I'll try to catch up with the inktober at school ;;.

Drew a lot of people and some observation stuff at school today hehe. Sorry for the glaring light, I'll stop that.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Pretty much sat at school doing nothing all day so I did art stuff for most of it : ), but I had to work on a project at home..

Added more value : ).

Legit couldn't think of anything for ash, so I thought of Annie's Tibbers burning into ash forever xd. Forgot the scars on Tibber's arm though.

main refs -

Sat at an assembly for two hours and brought my sketchbook : ^).

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Inktobeer #14 overgrown. I don't really draw trees at all, but I really like the trunk but how do I do leaves lol : ^). Topics 1-15 for Inktober are due for my art class, but I only got to 14 :/ . I don't want to bs #15 because I'm starting to enjoy it more.

Refs -

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Tired.. Just tried to come up with some ideas today. I want to try to catch up with current topic in inktober, but school : ^). Tomorrow I'll try to finish 2 or 3.

Legend - Egyptian/Cleopatra ???   used a lot of different refs

Wild - Tree hunt

Misfit - E Boy

refs -

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Really not feeling it today either @-@ and was really busy earlier in the day.

Don't think I really like this one. I think most people like my environments or not human centered ones better, might just be me, but I think I should start doing more of them.

I think her pose is very stiff and her face is awkward.

Redid the wild prompt. The other one would've busted my head.
    Second concept for wild until I erased.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Felt a little more motivated today and was pretty happy with the wild one : ).

Changed the sketch for misfit, but still an eboy. Trying to make the e-boy at least a little unappealing and I need to practice hands : ^))).

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Wasn't feeling that good, I wasn't really looking forward to doing inktober today @_@. I want to take a break day but I don't want to be even further behind cause it's a homework assignment : ^). Also gonna try to move away from portraits to fuller body.

Don't have much feelings towards this one, don't really like it or hate it :/.

I really don't like this one. I think I thought of a so so idea, but it was executed poorly because I was really tired. The prompt was boring too so. Next few prompts I'm gonna really try to appeal to aesthetics and stuff cause these two make me feel bad.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    I took a break from drawing yesterday and it felt great. I skipped my work outs today and felt a lot better when it came to my art time today.

Today I just did some planning sketches for inking tomorrow.

It took me a while to decide whether or not to do a simple grass field path or a more complicated forest pathway. Decided on the forest one because I know in the future I want to do complex filled background scenes so : ^). Looks empty right now, but tomorrow I'll add more and add more details and definition to the figure.

Main refs -

Wanted to try something new with a more cartoonish style. I think there's something better I could do with the story telling and such but I don't know.

I finished a project in my art class. I made a general reference for the head for myself : ). I have trouble drawing at extreme angles and i want to try diagonal angles too. I'll try drawing with it when I get the chance to.

Classmate sketches today during free time.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Was pretty tired today, but I'm pretty happy with the results I think. Gonna keep working on the sling one tomorrow. It doesn't have to be extremely finished and sometimes lines are just fine by itself : ^).

Did a self portrait from the off computer screen in my DMAD class. Prob took around 25 minutes?

Also tried practicing with the sculpture in my free time in class. I really need to get better at this hehe : ^). I also made the eyes too far apart, but that's fine.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Sketching day : ) .

Fan art of an old anime, 07 Ghost. Just searched up ghost and it was near the top of the results.

main refs -

Also did a fan art of Sanji from One Piece seeing the All Blue. This might be a pain and will take a while : ^) and I'm not sure how I did with the perspective of his body and I don't think I'm gonna like this one, but that's fine.

Did a lot of sketches at school today. Gonna try to draw more objects at school to practicing perspective from observation.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Pretty happy with both of them : ). Got distracted a lot with the treasure prompt, but I'll finish it tomorrow.

Messed up in a lot of places and I tried my best to cover it up lol.

Now that I think of it, I kinda stole this idea from a friend in my art class last year lol. She did a girl posing underwater like she was flowing with the current with some bubbles and stuff if I remember correctly.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Had to finish a lot of other homework today : ^), but still got stuff done.

Finished it real quick.

Prompt: Ancient. Not sure if I'm doing the perspective right, but it looks ok to me : ).

Refs/inspiration -

Just need to fix the faces, then I'll start inking.

Inspiration -

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Art class is really making me hate art right now. Really just tired of inktober after having to be forced to do it and all 31 of them are due tomorrow, which I think is a little unreasonable and assigning inktober for everyday is a lot to ask for considering that there are more assignments from the art class along with all of the other classes that sometimes also prevent me drawing everyday. My rant's done thanks.

Tired from doing inktober and I was planning to finish the other sketch also, but just really unmotivated.

Thought I should share another assignment for art class because I thought it would be good to share an artist I admire.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Started to get back into acrylics today and had a nice time. Really thought I forgot how to paint after a few weeks : ^).

Also probably just going to be doing stuff with paint for the rest of October, then November 1st is international self portrait day :), for November I was my focus to be going over human anatomy again since there's still a lot of parts I don't know (back muscles, legs, hands/feet) and switch with character types or environments (city.nature), and for December focus on environments? idk

Attempt 1 -

Attempt 2 - main focus was to paint th clouds, now that I look at it the mountains are too low  and I forgot to add more orange in other areas : (

Reference -

Sketch of the front of my school while I was waiting to be picked up after school.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Had a really bad time. I wanted to paint a portrait to practice for self portrait day, so I asked for a photo of a friend. I purposely made their skin redder and it turned out horrible. I was trying to block in base colors first, shadows, then highlights like usual, but maybe those aren't working or maybe I'm working too slow with the paint?  I'm not showing them, but I still feel like I disappointed them : ^). Maybe acrylics aren't for me and I should just focus directly in digital instead? Tomorrow I'll try to just paint something small and watch other people paint to see what they do. If someone could spare some simple tips it would be very appreciated.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Didn't do that much today cause I accidentally took a nap during art time. Took notes for the first time in months. The paintings I did today look better than yesterday at least. I have a habit of rushing the painting it seems and I think I'm not that greatly because I'm also still a beginner in color too not just painting in general. Also, I stopped paint since it was getting late and also because I was getting a frustrated too.

I'm getting a little stressed for self portrait day tomorrow : ^). The faces I did last month or so seemed a little better, than the ones now probably because it was monochrome or gray scale. So I'll make the self portrait tomorrow gray scale or just one color just to ease myself a bit.

ALSO, I found a figure drawing class for this Saturday, real excited to go and it's gonna be my first time actually drawing someone who is not moving. : ))) I'll try to go once every week, but sometimes my parents might not be able to take me or I might have a lot of school work.

Attempt 1

Attempt 2 and both fin
    Prob not the best reference for a portrait, but it's whatever now so

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Did the self portrait today from mirror and it turned out better than thee other acrylic paintings : ^). Yeah and I think my problem is just color and harmony as a whole since I never did anything in color until more recently. Maybe for my side focus topic for next month, I'll try to include color with studies.

process -

Art teacher wants our projects to relate to each other, so I thought of doing something steampunk and eventually decided to do a steampunk train station. Gathered a lot of references and did an initial concept sketch. self crits/ideas on sticky notes

Got the chance to sketch a lot today in pen ink and a classmate stayed still for me to draw them : )

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    First live drawing class : ). Next time I'm definitely bringing my paints. We took a break every 30 minutes and the model stayed in the same pose after the warm ups. Was really tired afterwards bc I stayed out of the house all day, but took notes for tomorrow. Also, gonna try to go every week when I can.

1 minute warmups in pen

1 hour in pencil

30 minute

30 min

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Wanted to have a relaxed day before I started studying anatomy again and was really suprized that this turned out today considering my last digital thing over a month ago : ^). Also I tried not to use the smudge tool and only use an opacity jitter brush. Decided that this month will be focused on digital and go more into anatomy and rendering it.

Will probably get back into it in a few days because I have a day off from school Tuesday, but tomorrow gonna focus on back anatomy. I have to remember to test what I know from doing it from imagination : ^), which is gonna be the worst.

It was hard to find a reference, so I just looked on bodybuilder's instragrams : ^).
    Dylan McKenna

Also did more notes on color

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Did a lot of notes today and for the rest of my drawing time I worked on the photostudy : ).

Made a general plan for myself when I'm relearning a new part: Mondays are note days, Tuesdays are painting the body part from imagination and using the notes, Wednesday - Friday are photostudies with identifying muscles and bones, and Saturday is from imagination without notes : ^). Also my art teacher is having the final sketch for the train thing I did a few days ago, so it's either I take a 0 and finish the photostudy or just do it and wait until Sunday to finish it :/.

Spent about an hour on this today. Gonna try to move away from limiting my colors like in the corner

Took all my notes from Sinix. I really like the way he paints : ) and I think I already knew most of the content, but I needed a refresher.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Don't feel like today was that productive : ^)

My back from imagination. I do these things as 'pre-assessments' but really I just bs them all the time, so I might just stop them for next time. It was still confusing me a bit especially where the squeezed area was.

My crits ^^^-
    - not much contrast, but that's fine for this
    - squeezed side is very awkward
        - pay attention to the muscles in that area, show their form,
    - focus on the traps, scapula and it's muscles, and dimples/landmarks
    - top side of butt can have a hard edge
    - must pay attention to subtlety of the muscles also for the final at the end of the week (lats, diamond, dimples and erector)

Started the photostudies for tomorrow since I had extra time. I'm gonna try to focus more on quantity over quality for these. Gonna make a time limit of 1 hour for rendering only. Also, I think I can identify the muscles in the back fine, I just have a hard time rendering it because it has a lot of subtle changes.

refs-

Choose do my art class homework for the reduction linoleum thing instead of the study I wanted to do :/. Spend about twoish hours on it.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Yesterday I did the first two, would've done one more but useless art assignment was getting in the way @-@. Today was just really tired so rendered one and sketched and mapped out another. I think I'm getting the way the back works now, compared to back then when I tried learning it using pencil.

Something that bothers me is that the rendering doesn't cover all of the base and the base shows on the edges of the render, so I guess I'll watch some speed paints later so try to figure out how to not do that.
    refs -

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    I was getting discouraged at first for the guy on the right, but it came together quickly : ). Looks like I just need to be patient. Also, I'm starting to get distracted by my phone, so I need to start keeping it out of my room : (.

Both are unfinished especially the second one, will prob finish it tomorrow and nervous for tomorrow because I'm doing back from imagination, but I think I understand the backs a lot better now. Drawing people with muscles take so much time : ^).

ref

School sketches

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Had to stay outside the house for a bit today, but pretty proud of myself : ). Painting is a lot more efficient for learning instead of using pencil.

All from imagination : ^). Second one is unfinished and was planning to render all of them today, but nah. Tomorrow I wanna do a before and after thing from a digital painting I did a few months ago.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Was busy today, but finishedthe study : ) and I'm pretty happy with it. Also, it was fun to paint hehe

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Started a redraw : ^). Looks like trash right now but I'll keep working on it this week. I really need to fix the values and I should've probably done some studies on some faces lol.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Took it pretty easy today. I think I just need mileage with painting with digital and working with color so rst of the weekdays gonna do studies and next time in color.

Also, did my best not to cheat hehe
    ref

Also doing a movie poster for Moon Over Buffalo in my digital design class and thought I should share, so here's what I got done so far. Main requirements are no buffalo and add a lot of text later

thumbs and notes -

Main inspirations/refs -

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Wasn't feeling that good when I started my art time :/. Maybe tomorrow I'll watch videos on how to paint skin again.

Face is really off and the nose looks really distracting especially without the sketch and eyes are too low and too big. Probably would've had a better time if I work in bw, but oh well. Also quit the study early..

ref-

We had a guest speaker for a college and they had us make a design of something in 15 minutes. My theme was fire and birds, not that creative imo, but I only had 15 minutes lol.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Took notes on noses from sinix and brushwork from Tyler Edlin. I think it's good to have days where I take a break and just takes notes : ). Still learned a lot and gonna try to practice some of the highlighted things and things mentioned in both videos.

Had to stay after school for teacher-parent conferences @_@, so sketch the hallway I was waiting at for a bit.

• Zaulta
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaulta polycounter lvl 3
    Wasn't really feeling it today. The way I 'render' is really weird I wanna try to learn how to get those nice satisfying edges in the paintings and mine aren't lol. I think it's because i lay down all the opacity brush stuff first and then use the blending tool. Time to practice that tomorrow and look for more tutorials : ))). Also gonna do the redraw or repaint or something for an art class homework for upcoming Thursday, so I have a deadline : ^).

Goal was to use different brushes (didn't do that), use different hues throughout each painting and not just directly copy (did my best to do), and use the selection tool which I didn't do. Picking the different colors was fun, but what wasn't fun was the rendering in general..