Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oak tree.

I made this to show my boss at the articial tree company how quickly we could make a 3d model.  I made it in zbrush, uv'd in maya, textures from zbrush and marmoset.  Rendered in marmoset.  Comments and criticism welcome.

Thanks,
Peter

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, I think the branches are way too curly to be oak, and the bark is not rough enough. The leaf cards are also incredibly noticeable.

I love the tree sculpt though. I would like to see a more intricate root bit at the bottom.
  • PeterMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique.  Any tips on how to make the leaf cards less noticable?  Maybe more and smaller?  Maybe I could cut the cards up and put some bends in them.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, smaller leaf cards, and cut them up and bend them a bit. They all seem to be going off in the same direction too, which makes it so you can see how flat they are from certain angles (like the angle your camera is here), so maybe vary that up a bit.
  • HixaLupa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    You wood texture look beautiful, though I'd agree it needs to be rougher and chunkier to be oak. How did you to the UVs to get it looking so nice?
  • PeterMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you.  I did the UVs in maya, I'll post a picture later when I have my computer.  I did all the color with polypaint in zbrush then exported to the texture map. I used hpolish with only rgb on to get a lot of the color effects, it works very similar to drybrushing in real life painting. I also used a depth or cavity(forget what its called) mask in zbrush to emphasize some of the texture.  The ao map and the normal were baked in marmoset from the high poly.
  • PeterMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for all the crits, they are very helpful.  I think instead of improving this model I will make another tree with a better design.