Home Technical Talk

mixing 3dsmax (arnold) rounded corners shader baking with traditional highpoly to lowpoly baking

what if I want to use rounded corners for the majority of my object, and traditional highpoly (subdiv/turbosmooth) baking for certain pieces, aswell as floaters on pieces that i'm using rounded corners for?
Is that possible? How would I do this?
Probably important to know I don't yet know how to bake traditional high>low with render to texture (or max in general), only in painter and toolbag.

Replies

• sqrRedwend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sqrRedwend polycounter lvl 9
    FYI 3ds Max does not support baking normal maps with Arnold as of 2020.2 update:
    https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Render+to+Texture
  • Prutsirs_JayJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FYI 3ds Max does not support baking normal maps with Arnold as of 2020.2 update:
    https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Render+to+Texture
    Latest build does https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/3.2.53 :D
  • sqrRedwend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sqrRedwend polycounter lvl 9
    Oh, so apparently I don't have the latest one. Strangely Autodesk Desktop App says there are no updates available, weird.

Sorry for the misinformation!
  • Prutsirs_JayJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, so apparently I don't have the latest one. Strangely Autodesk Desktop App says there are no updates available, weird.

It's alright, doesn't seem to be very well known right now in general. Which makes my problem harder. :,)
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor

Arnold updates have to be downloaded separately unless there's an actual version update to Max, in which case AD usually bundles the latest stable release of MaxToA in it.

As far as OP's question goes, there's usually no problems mixing either floaters or subdivision meshes with round edge workflows, Arnold's round edge shader is angle dependent like the old Mental Ray implementation we had in older versions of Max so even with it applied to subdivided meshes you probably won't get any effect off it. You can also just not apply the round edges effect on floaters/subd meshes. You'll probably notice what i mean about the angle dependency if you try applying it on an object with 45-60 degree corners!
  • Prutsirs_JayJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia said:

Arnold updates have to be downloaded separately unless there's an actual version update to Max, in which case AD usually bundles the latest stable release of MaxToA in it.

As far as OP's question goes, there's usually no problems mixing either floaters or subdivision meshes with round edge workflows, Arnold's round edge shader is angle dependent like the old Mental Ray implementation we had in older versions of Max so even with it applied to subdivided meshes you probably won't get any effect off it. You can also just not apply the round edges effect on floaters/subd meshes. You'll probably notice what i mean about the angle dependency if you try applying it on an object with 45-60 degree corners!
    Yeah I know about the angle dependency, which is why i'm trying to figure how to mix a traditional bake and a rounded edges bake. I don't know how to add a highpoly to my 3ds max baker. Another issue i'm running into is that the normal bakes i'm getting out of max seem to neither be opengl or directx :s