[WIP] Bilgewater - 3D Environment

Kebet
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kebet polycounter lvl 3
Hello there!

It´s been a while since the last time I post here, but here I am again :D

I decided to start a new environment project with some main objectives to achieve in mind. And I am looking for some feedback/tips to learn/improve this work. 

(Original concept:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KxArr)

So this concept it´s a challenge for me, it has a lot of details, lot of diferent depth and form and a very interesting atmosphere that I would like to plasm in the environment. I would like to achieve some level detail similar to film/CG alike.

For now I´ve been playing with the basic dimension of the town/street and the camera to achieve the lookalike of the concept.

Here you can see how its going :)

Sooo, I am going to list my main objectives in this project to have then in mind.

-Reach some CG film alike level detail.
-Start using ZBrush to get that level detail I want. 
-Texture with substance and lights?? (I am not very sure with this for now)
-Learn more about environments in general.

Next step:
-Start sculping some wooden boards and pilars in Z.

I am waiting to hear your feedback/tips to improve this concept!

Regards!!

Replies

• Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    So finally I´ve had a little bit of free time to work again in this enviroment, I´ve been working in the wooden boards, this is how it looks so far. I would appreciate some feedback. :)

Next step: Sculpt the pilars, poles and the stairs/down runway.

• Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    So finally I´ve been able to move along with this.
    It´s been two busy and a little bit frustating weeks but I finnaly had a little bit of free time to work :)

I focused on the pilars and some poles this time, here you can see the final models.

Next step: Bar floor and close house walls. If I finnish them in time in will try sculpting some assest like the barrels and the singboard.
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Before going on with the floor and the walls I decided to resculpt the pilars and the poles of the runway, and now I am so much happier with the result. It took a lot less time than I expected, so I think I can increase my productivity henceforth. :)

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This is looking great, keep it up!
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Here I am again!

First of all, thank you some much @Ashervisalis !! :)

For the last few days I´ve been working in the walls and the floor mostly, but I still need to finish the walls from the inside house/bar or at least start blocking where everything will go :P. I also started sculping the first props.

Next step: Finish the bar (blocking and walls), depending on how much time that will take I could start sculping the balconies too.
  • DatsJustB
    Offline / Send Message
    DatsJustB polycounter lvl 8
    I like the way it's going, keep it up!
     looking forward to seeing more!
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Hello there Artist!

Thank you so much @DatsJustB !

For the last 2-3 days I´ve working in the bar blockout and the balconies in my spare time, I still need to add basic blocking assets in the bar to get the feeling I want with it. I added one new camera angle which focuses on the bar. 

Hope you like how it is going. :smiley:

I would be glad to hear your feedback!

Next step: Finish bar walls and floor, and fill the bar with basic asset shapes (or finnished assets depending on the time I will dedicate to this the next days)
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Hello back!

Last few days it´s been pretty hard, lot of pressure involved, hey, but here I am again XD

I didn´t feel pretty motivated these days and I didn´t follow the steps I wanted, instead of that I´ve been working in some assets and the Back Ground house more than in the bar.

Here are some pictures!

Lamp sculpt in ZBrush:

Next step: I would like to finnish with the background house in the next days and complete the previous step I was going to do.

*I do not why but I want to recommed you the next group, it help me to focus xD*
    TOKYO SKA PARADISE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XfGNP_gew&list=LLQzmAC7-sVyxArxj8PHQ_Cw&index=7
  • AdrianZaplata
    Offline / Send Message
    AdrianZaplata triangle
    Looks amazing so far mate. I really like it. I'm looking forward for the next results and keep it up! Don't slow down :) Are you doing some retopo on those woods or you just leave the "base mesh" before sculpting as a mesh for baking?

Cheers!
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    @AdrianZaplata thank you so much!!

About the woods, they don´t have any type of normal, displacement of bump, it´s all mesh. For now I am not thinking about baking or doing some retopo on them, my main objective right now is too achieve some cgi like environment but without any mesh optimazation, I just want to focus on the final result, as this is a personal project and I will be the only one using this scene I think it is not necessary (for now) to do any kind of optimization. :)
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Good night to everyone!

It hasn´t been a very productive week, I´ve been feeling a little down during this week and not very motivated. I think I am reaching line where the changes and new things I create and add doesn´t make a huge impact in the scene like it did before (or at least that the sensation I got), I modeled some assets during this week, hope you like it.

Next step: Idk, lets see where what the future got for me xd (jokes aside, create more assets)
  • JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good! I think you really need to move the camera over to the right to fit the concept and composition better

are you making this to be explorable in 3d? or just using UE for rendering
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    @JesseL Thank you so much!

I am to give a look to the camera, thank you for the feedback :)

Right now I am using Maya with Arnolds´ AO for rendering, for now I am not thinking about importing it in UE (cause the scene has too much polys for real time rendering), and I am not pretty sure what you mean with being explorable in 3D, you mean like a 360º rendering? If that is what you mean that´s a pretty cool idea, I will think about that. :)
  • JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    I was thinking more a level in game/exploration. Although 360 is cool, just be very very careful before choosing as there is drastically more work in that
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Hello there,

Here is this weekly update, I added the squid in the foreground, some chairs and tables in the bar and I´ve added some more details to the middleground structure and create some rocks for the cliff (with a new camera view that fit more with the original concept art)

Hope you like how it´s going this project so far :)

The rocks and the cliff in ZBrush.

I should start adding some bg structure in order of not getting all that negative space in the scene. Aaand I need to add details to the wall house in frontground.
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    I am back!

New update, this time I´ve focused on the BG house and the ropes that appears in the scenario (still need to create more webs and ropes), I added that BG cubes in order not to get all that negative space information and I think that´s all for now. I also tested a render with more Far Clip in the AO just for fun and I really like it, the scene seems to have more power right now xD (The cubes at BG got a different AO with a grey color to read better the BG building)

Here are the renders:

And here the one with the Far Clip in the AO at 250 (The first one got the default settings)
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    More, I demand! More!!

That lantern is gothic af, I want it for my porch light. I hope the rest of the scene turns out as gothic as this piece. I know sculpting a new one is tough, but it's an eye catcher, so instead of using a duplicate on the second beam, I'd love to see a different gargoyle lantern. Would really up the scene quality.
  • Kebet
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebet polycounter lvl 3
    Hello there!

So during this two weeks I´ve been pretty busy with work doing some overtimes and working on weekends, buuut I´ve been able to work on this in my free time, I´ve worked on the bar side mostly, I added some furniture, paintings, etc. I added also the fishes on the frontside and some tiles to bg street in other to get more variety. (I also end up optimazing some meshes in the scene a little bit, I didnt consider my computer limitation I am paying back that right now T.T)

@Ashervisalis I will take a look to gargogle, but for now I would like to focus finishing the bar, adding some more ropes in general and give more variety to the street