Home Career & Education

Stylized or real is best selling in industry?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ffm32206600 polycounter lvl 7
hello my friends
who had experience in character art to let me know what would be the best choice to work in character art industry?to make more money?

tnx 

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    do what you enjoy instead of chasing money. you can make money doing either, but if you actually enjoy what you are doing you will get way better faster and most likely earn more money as a side benefit. chase mastery not money.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I'd agree on that sentiment.

just be aware about realism. what can be scanned will be, what can be simulated will be. and AI procedures will likely hit realistic topics quicker than stylized. Just for the sheer amount of existing input data.

That means you will have to learn to integrate tools in your workflow that do the work for you.
    You work could become more technical, the focus shifted already. Instead of sculpting folds, you now have to learn pattern making and use simulation to create them realistically.
    If you do faces, you will have to work with scans, not make it yourself from scratch.

Those times are most certainly already over. 
    That doesnt mean you shouldnt learn this stuff, but in production you will likely "only" profit from the knowledge but wont apply it yourself as much as it used to be.
  • ffm32206600
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    I'd agree on that sentiment.

just be aware about realism. what can be scanned will be, what can be simulated will be. and AI procedures will likely hit realistic topics quicker than stylized. Just for the sheer amount of existing input data.

That means you will have to learn to integrate tools in your workflow that do the work for you.
    You work could become more technical, the focus shifted already. Instead of sculpting folds, you now have to learn pattern making and use simulation to create them realistically.
    If you do faces, you will have to work with scans, not make it yourself from scratch.

Those times are most certainly already over. 
    That doesnt mean you shouldnt learn this stuff, but in production you will likely "only" profit from the knowledge but wont apply it yourself as much as it used to be.
    i thought with my self these days mobile games and several huge games out there are growing, and a big percent of these games are stylized, maybe in future the game industry goes in this ways ...,i have seen many charts of game industry that indicate the mobile game are selling more than consoles (aaa games)
    i dont know anyway...
  • ffm32206600
    Offline / Send Message
    do what you enjoy instead of chasing money. you can make money doing either, but if you actually enjoy what you are doing you will get way better faster and most likely earn more money as a side benefit. chase mastery not money.
    tnx for replay...

i'm a 3d artist in architecture industry
    recently i decided to work in character modeling field and i need some information to how work as a freelancer in this field,
    if we suppose that in future i be in a senior level of character art how much money can i expect from this job as a usual artist?something average i mean

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Phone hardware picks up, so more detailled more realistic stuff is happening already and will come. i don't think realism will vanish from the game market just because mobile has more sales. There is no ONE style to rule them all.
  • ffm32206600
    Offline / Send Message
    and another thing is happening is photogrammetry that is incredibly increasing in 3d art,in your opinion how would it effect on industry u think?one of my friend said that prop and asset artists make less money these days cause of that
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    as I said, anything that can be scanned will be scanned, and everything that can be simulated will be simulated.

that also means, it likely can be done elsewhere for cheaper as the quality bar is hit easier.
    But now we come into the topic of world territories and according to your artstation you are already neither located in the american or western market as a whole, so this topic will likely (i realy dunno anything about costs of living and rates in iran, so i am pulling this out of my ass) touch you less than it might hit somebody in the west.
    The job description of realistic onsite or even outsourcing artists certainly has changed in the past years, and it will keep changing.

You just have to know if you could embrace it or suffer from it.
    As pixelmasher said, don't focus solely on the money, you have lots of ground to cover on the quality bar before you can remotely think about where you can make the big bucks. If you are good, you will do well. If you are not, you will not.

• Eric Chadwick
    if we suppose that in future i be in a senior level of character art how much money can i expect from this job as a usual artist?something average i mean
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Salary_Research
  • ffm32206600
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    as I said, anything that can be scanned will be scanned, and everything that can be simulated will be simulated.

that also means, it likely can be done elsewhere for cheaper as the quality bar is hit easier.
    But now we come into the topic of world territories and according to your artstation you are already neither located in the american or western market as a whole, so this topic will likely (i realy dunno anything about costs of living and rates in iran, so i am pulling this out of my ass) touch you less than it might hit somebody in the west.
    The job description of realistic onsite or even outsourcing artists certainly has changed in the past years, and it will keep changing.

You just have to know if you could embrace it or suffer from it.
    As pixelmasher said, don't focus solely on the money, you have lots of ground to cover on the quality bar before you can remotely think about where you can make the big bucks. If you are good, you will do well. If you are not, you will not.

okk,tnx for advises
  • Cazpher
    Hello. How about if I ' am thinking about the opportunity for a job whether it is a freelance or full time? Cause right now I don't know what I want to do if stylized or realistic. I ' am a undergraduate student and I know it will be very difficult to be apply into a AAA company without a degree unless I have a outstanding portfolio, Since most realistic side are in AAA companies and here in the Philippines, game development industry is so small. I ' am thinking that stylized art has more opportunity because of mobile games. I both love realistic and stylized. Should I choose stylized?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    only you can answer that
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So neither is easier then the other.  I will say I think there are more jobs in realism but it's also probably more saturated.  Don't worry about which is a better opportunity and just do what you prefer.
  • Cazpher
    Thank you for your fast response guys. I ' m just new here in polycount