Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jousting Tourney Scene - LoA Challenge

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
gazman162 polycounter lvl 9
So the Artstation challenge is now firmly over, but there is still plenty I want to get done in my scene before I'm 100% happy with it as a portfolio piece. I'm hoping to get this piece finished off by the end of August. My challenge thread is here: https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-legend-of-king-arthur/challenges/69/submissions/45701 This is what my main submission shot looked like:

Concept it is based upon: (https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-legend-of-king-arthur/challenges/65/submissions/43363?sorting=following)

I've made a fair few tweaks so far including adding more foliage into the scene altering colours of cloth across the scene and revamping the ground materials. Everything I have done so far is detailed here: https://www.artstation.com/garethcodling/blog I'll also be updating this blog along with this post in the hopes of getting some feedback to really push this further.

The last set of alterations I made were some small tweaks to the overall scene that were recommended on Discord. One of the big ones being the alteration of the background tents so they are more prominent in the scene.

I was originally aiming for a lighting setup that was more like an early morning, but I reckon I may also try closer matching the original concept as well. At the moment I am working on getting some debris around the stadium with some small rocks and wood chippings.

Any feeedback is always welcome! :D

Replies

• gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've been pushing on this piece some more, and made the tweaks I previously mentioned:
    • Lighting setup closer to the original concept
    • Rocks and Wood pieces added
    • Further terrain material blending to avoid repetitive areas
    The next push is to fill up the camp areas some more. At the moment they're pretty empty and don't particularly look lived in. I've got a couple assets I can use already, and a few I can make from the kit I already have. On top of these there are a couple other bits I want to add as well as a small library of decals to add further grunge, etc to the scene and bring it to life a bit more.

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Made a quick little GIF (colours and values may be a bit off since I did this quite quickly. But the general just of it is the environment feeling more like it is in sunlight as currently there is sharp shadows bit the scene is slightly more gloomy than I would expect for a daytime scene,

• gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked! Cheers for that @RobeOmega ! I'll play with the lighting some more and brighten it up some! :D
  • gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a few more assets using the wood kit and trim sheets as I previously mentioned and started adding these into the scene. With these and some of the other pre-existing assets I've started fleshing out the camps a bit more to bring them to life. As well as tweaking the lighting to be brighter as @RobeOmega mentioned previously.

The next point of call will either be creating a handful of dirt, grime and noise decals to break up different parts of the scene a bit more OR I'll get onto creating the trim sheet for the cloth meshes I want to add (cushions, rugs and Garlands) and start adding in those pieces. It mostly depends on what I feel like doing after work for the next few days as to which gets completed first! 😂😂
  • gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've created a few more smaller assets and started dressing the scene some more as well. It's all starting to look a bit more full now which is definitely improving the overall feel of the scene. There are some smaller assets that would be good to try and get in, but I'm debating either leaving it as is once I've finished dressing with the current assets OR finding a decent food/medieval kitchen gear pack and littering that in the scene.
    I've added:
    • Pillows
    • Rugs
    • Small crate
    • Open crate
    • Fire log
    • Bunting
    • Created some tent interiors using several assets
    • Some more ivy along the arena wall
    • Small adjustments to the lighting

Hopefully have this completed over the next few days and up in my portfolio for the end of the week! :) Fingers Crossed! 🤞🤞
  • gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently in the process of bringing this project to a close. I've finished the set dressing and made a couple more tweaks to com of shots, etc and have started compiling all the renders, etc for adding to my Portfolio. I'll look to add these up here along with a link over the next week! :)
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    One thing if you have time before you finish, It might be fun to add translucency for the tent materials and see if you can get lighting inside the tents and under the awnings to match the colors.
  • gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got SSS on them, but yeah definitely will have a look at tweaking that and the translucency tonight :D Cheers @JamesBrisnehan