Home Technical Talk

Maya Arnold Displacement Map Height Value Issue

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi,

So the issue am having is that when i hook up a displacement map to an AiStandardSurface i need to bump the height value in the displacement attributes to like 40 to get a reasonable result. I dont understand why the value would need to be that high? ill attach some pictures that can hopefully help someone figure this out. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Cause your image is really flat and 8bit.  it does only store data from 0-256 on one channel.
    Just do a test and paint a white and a black dot into your map. Thats the range it can store.

A 32bit exr file can store negative and positive values. IT can store data into the millions.

There is nothing wrong with your workflow.

image source:: https://www.creativeshrimp.com/hdr-lighting-tutorial-part-03.html
  • David_McCabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the reply, i really appreciate it. I am using an exr file, that was just a screen grab of what the texture looks like. i am having another issue though where i cant seem to get the seam areas to blend. i have played about with the scaler zero value but cant get a good result. just to make you aware im working with one of the assets from Kitbash3D and rendering with Arnold. I will attach a screenshot of the issue i am having. Any help on that would be much appreciated. 

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Model some Stones and use them to hide those issues. There is no way to get this working if you are using such low geo.
  • David_McCabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the quick response. If I Cant get it to work correctly thats what ill do. i did try adding divisions to the geometry but they still have black spaces between seams. What would you suggest in terms of fixing the issue as opposed to hiding it?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    There is no way to fix it. If you just use a texture that is what you get. 

Model/sculpt a highres and bake a real dispmap would be the way to go.