Maya Arnold Displacement Map Height Value Issue

Hi,

So the issue am having is that when i hook up a displacement map to an AiStandardSurface i need to bump the height value in the displacement attributes to like 40 to get a reasonable result. I dont understand why the value would need to be that high? ill attach some pictures that can hopefully help someone figure this out. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
    Cause your image is really flat and 8bit.  it does only store data from 0-256 on one channel.
    Just do a test and paint a white and a black dot into your map. Thats the range it can store.

A 32bit exr file can store negative and positive values. IT can store data into the millions.

There is nothing wrong with your workflow.

image source:: https://www.creativeshrimp.com/hdr-lighting-tutorial-part-03.html
  • David_McCabe
    Thank you for the reply, i really appreciate it. I am using an exr file, that was just a screen grab of what the texture looks like. i am having another issue though where i cant seem to get the seam areas to blend. i have played about with the scaler zero value but cant get a good result. just to make you aware im working with one of the assets from Kitbash3D and rendering with Arnold. I will attach a screenshot of the issue i am having. Any help on that would be much appreciated. 

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
    Model some Stones and use them to hide those issues. There is no way to get this working if you are using such low geo.
  • David_McCabe
    thank you for the quick response. If I Cant get it to work correctly thats what ill do. i did try adding divisions to the geometry but they still have black spaces between seams. What would you suggest in terms of fixing the issue as opposed to hiding it?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
    There is no way to fix it. If you just use a texture that is what you get. 

Model/sculpt a highres and bake a real dispmap would be the way to go.