Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Opinions On Medieval House Roof (Work in progress)

► J0Y,귀엽다™
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
► J0Y,귀엽다™ polycounter lvl 2

I spent a whole day to day blocking out and modeling the roof for my medieval house. What do you think about it in term of proportion? In general, how is it looking to you? 

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    "Medieval house" is pretty vague. What reference are you working from?
  • ► J0Y,귀엽다™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The house I am building here is a modular house which is make up from a number of smaller wall pieces. There is not any one particular concept art or reference that this medieval house is based off of. I just look at a bunch of different photos from google:"medieval house","medieval house roof" and start make up a roof to fit the walls of the house. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    What's it made out of?

How will you texture it? What render engine?

Medieval roof I am assuming will mean thatch or something primitive like that. Will look very different from the raw geo you are showing here. Depending on final render goal, maybe that means you use displacement shader or got some transparent cards you would stack up kind of like hair. Maybe you can look up god of war art dump and see what they did there. Or witcher 3 or w/e.

Right now, just based on the silhouette I'd think it's just a modern roof the asphalt shingles.

Some small details that help inform player of time period might be to think about the construction of a medieval dwelling. How were the timbers hewed and then put into place? Probably even a new fancy house wouldn't have CG precision. Maybe tweak the vertices of different roof beams so they are just exaggerated a bit so you notice that things are more organic looking. Maybe even grab all vertices on one side and bring it down a touch so the whole thing is slightly lopsided.
  • ► J0Y,귀엽다™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's it made out of?

How will you texture it? What render engine?

Medieval roof I am assuming will mean thatch or something primitive like that. Will look very different from the raw geo you are showing here. Depending on final render goal, maybe that means you use displacement shader or got some transparent cards you would stack up kind of like hair. Maybe you can look up god of war art dump and see what they did there. Or witcher 3 or w/e.

Right now, just based on the silhouette I'd think it's just a modern roof the asphalt shingles.

Some small details that help inform player of time period might be to think about the construction of a medieval dwelling. How were the timbers hewed and then put into place? Probably even a new fancy house wouldn't have CG precision. Maybe tweak the vertices of different roof beams so they are just exaggerated a bit so you notice that things are more organic looking. Maybe even grab all vertices on one side and bring it down a touch so the whole thing is slightly lopsided.
    Thanks for your feed back. You have some very good points.
    I am relatively new to game development. I modeling for about 2 years now on and off.

I will be using Unreal Engine and substance Painter!

Yes. Lots of documents points out that houses from medieval using thatch roof. However base on my research, houses in medieval does not necessary using thatch roof only. I do not go with thatch roof because I think it might be difficult to make modular. I am also new too, so I thought going with slate roof would be an easier route.

Below is one of my research page. I said I wanted to make a a corner of a city from modular pieces in my research page but please ignored that. My teacher wants me to create an interior scene instead.

Here is a shot from The Plague Tale - innocence. I am going for something like those houses. Not necessary thatch roof right? Not that I don't like thatch roof. It is just that I think I have other option. 

"Some small details that help inform player of time period might be to think about the construction of a medieval dwelling. "
     I will take these small detail in to consideration seriously! I will definitely 
    tweak the vertices of different wood beams. I will be using material from website like https://gametextures.com/ 

How were the timbers hewed and then put into place?" 
    This one is tough! haha. I am not an architect. I don't really know how house are built. 
    Below is something I managed to put together in a day.

For my assignment. I am going to be creating a realistic interior scene for the house above. 
    This concept below is my inspiration. So yeh, how wood beams and roof being constructed is prety importance here.

When I modeling this house. I have lots of questions in my mind, like: Do I really need to modeling base off of real life architecture or is "game architecture (with wood beams intersecting with each others )" is oK?