Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][Environment] Studying Trim Sheets by Making a Desert Themed Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Druwed polycounter lvl 6
After looking at a few tutorials and studying existing trim sheets i decided to try and make one to learn the technique.
This is where i'm at after some hours.
Initial Sculpt

Current UE4 Material

Marmoset

Attempting to reach a style similar to Overwatch and other Stylized PBR game projects.
Going to try Building some assets with This trim sheet.

This is my first trim sheet so there is probably a lot of issues that i am not seeing due to being a beginner, feel free to voice your critiques. 

Replies

• Druwed
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Tried using the trim sheet to make the pyramid, but i messed up by not making sure all the trims tile so i will go back to the drawing board to make sure all the trims tile correctly.
    And make a simpler one with less elements.
    I tried to go overly complex on this one and it was not a smart choice due to it being my first time working with trim sheets.
  • Druwed
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Made a small diorama that will be used to formulate the trims i need to make to texture this environment.

Current number of elements to put on the trim sheet.
    Wood Beams, Small Bricks, Big Floor Bricks, Tiling Sand Texture, Tiling Stone Texture, Stone beams

Working from this piece of concept art.

Any comments/critiques are apreciated.
  • Druwed
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Added a Plain and pulled some faces to try to get it looking like sand built up over some time.
    Once I bring this into Unreal i'll also work on a Vertex Paint Material to blend in the other areas with the sand.
  • Dreyzie
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    The sculpt looks great and you definitely nailed the Blizzard/Overwatch style. Especially the beveled corners I see on the stone.

I have a question regarding the two bottom pieces, though. I always thought trims should tile from left to right, but your two bottom pieces are separated. What kind of effect does that create for you? Just curious because I'm also learning trims myself.
  • Druwed
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Dreyzie said:
    The sculpt looks great and you definitely nailed the Blizzard/Overwatch style. Especially the beveled corners I see on the stone.

I have a question regarding the two bottom pieces, though. I always thought trims should tile from left to right, but your two bottom pieces are separated. What kind of effect does that create for you? Just curious because I'm also learning trims myself.
    I messed up the bottom 2 by not making them tile.
    Planned to have some trim elements be Repeating patterns.
    With the bottom 2 not tiling it makes them look off.
    Most the trims do not tile in a good way, with how they currently are set-up.
    Making a new set of Trims and should have them on the new environment by Friday. 

I'm basing my experiments on these 2 video series, they are really helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziIY674NAw

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU74dDTYexO5ap_Ko9stC-RZs5Pw1cJOi
  • Druwed
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Made a (hopefully) better functioning Trim sheet and some Tileable textures to apply to the environment