Home Technical Talk

Is character modeling in SW like 3DS Max, Maya, Blender old fashioned?

Deniell
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Deniell triangle
Hi everyone. I'm quite newbie with 3d modeling and I started character modeling few days ago. I found quite many tutorials but most of the new ones using Zbrush right from the start and then you Max or Maya for retopologize and in the older ones, they use Max or Maya for basic character structure and then they use Zbrush for more details. My question is if it's old fashioned to start with Max or Maya or if it's just they personal style/workflow? Thank you kindly.
Sorry for my English, it is not my mother tongue.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Not old fashioned.  It's situation dependent.

I find myself starting in Zbrush or Modo entirely dependent on the nature of the object.  For 'organic' characters, I tend to start in Zbrush.  Sometimes I start in Modo to get my blockouts going much faster, especially for things like a weapon.

I'd comment that some of the tutorials may have been dependent on specific tools that opened up certain workflows more than previous versions of Zbrush or Maya, depending on when they're released.  For example, Dynamesh did a great job of freeing up sculptors from having to make a perfect "presculpt" mesh to work from.  They could add and remove mass, as they would with a real sculpt, pretty easily.  Dynamesh is fairly recent in Zbrush's lifecycle.

• Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I recently did some  subdivision surface character modeling for fun, no Zbrush at all. I can't really say it's old fashioned because the tools have made huge leaps since Zbrush came to dominate the scene. It was a nice change of pace, and it was REALLY nice not having to retopologize anything, deal with importing and exporting large models, and just having an over all shorter pipeline.
  • oglu
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    ZBrush has come a long way. These days its easier and faster to stat a character in zB. Right from the stat though its important to establish a good scale and position link with the app you will be doing the final low/er poly model in.
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Thank you so much guys for information. :)