Home Technical Talk

I need help converting a vector image into a 3D model in Maya 2019.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aizen polycounter lvl 2
Greetings,
I am trying to model this geographic region by importing a vector file (.EPS) into Maya, but I cannot figure out how to do it. After importing the vector lines in Maya, I tried to convert them to NURBS curves to convert them into polygons but the result is a mess. What would be the most efficient way to do this without having to create planes and manually follow the lines?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Maybe try to find the google maps location and use the height map from there?
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Have you tried 3dsmax, its way better in spline department then maya in my experience.

• demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    May be by using surface modifier with imported vectors.

• Aizen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aizen polycounter lvl 2
    oglu said:
    Where can I acquire the height map?
  • Aizen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aizen polycounter lvl 2
    Have you tried 3dsmax, its way better in spline department then maya in my experience.

What do you mean by spline department?
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Fenrisatr said:
    oglu said:
    https://terrain.party/
    Correlate it to the coordinates from google maps or whatever your given source data is, this will net you the easiest result with the least amount of steps.

Fenrisatr said:

They mean 3dsmax is better at using splines to generate polygonal surfaces and has more robust tools for working with splines. Spline department being a colloquialism for a sub section of all of 3ds max tools and capabilities. That sub section being; spline tools.

If you want to get more advanced then this I believe you can also plug in DEM or LIDAR data into World Machine(software) and generate the terrain that way. This will give you a workable and editable heightmap to use for games or other things, for printing or fabrication I remember MicroDEM(software) is reliable.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    1 - Don't do it manually.
    2 - I doubt you'll get a heightmap as accurate from free services.

Terrain from contours is what i'd look for. I dont know for Maya.
    I know Max, Rhino, Sketchup...have tools for it.
    Looks like you can achieve it in Blender aswell.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM4CD6xMAVM
    The topology would probably be horrible but you could reproject a grid over it, or optimize whatever.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    The image is lacking relevant information you have to add manually in some way.
    The lines have probably no height information and not all the lines are closed.
    Imo you best bet would be to find the relevant area in a GIS database, as @oglu said, and read the data from there. But higher resolutions might cost you a bit

• Aizen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aizen polycounter lvl 2
    Noors said:
    1 - Don't do it manually.
    2 - I doubt you'll get a heightmap as accurate from free services.

Terrain from contours is what i'd look for. I dont know for Maya.
    I know Max, Rhino, Sketchup...have tools for it.
    Looks like you can achieve it in Blender aswell.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM4CD6xMAVM
    The topology would probably be horrible but you could reproject a grid over it, or optimize whatever.

Thank you for your answer. I'll try what you mentioned.
  • Aizen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aizen polycounter lvl 2
    zachagreg said:
    Fenrisatr said:
    oglu said:
    https://terrain.party/
    Correlate it to the coordinates from google maps or whatever your given source data is, this will net you the easiest result with the least amount of steps.

Fenrisatr said:

They mean 3dsmax is better at using splines to generate polygonal surfaces and has more robust tools for working with splines. Spline department being a colloquialism for a sub section of all of 3ds max tools and capabilities. That sub section being; spline tools.

If you want to get more advanced then this I believe you can also plug in DEM or LIDAR data into World Machine(software) and generate the terrain that way. This will give you a workable and editable heightmap to use for games or other things, for printing or fabrication I remember MicroDEM(software) is reliable.
    Thank you very much for your answer. Sadly, the link you provided does not allow me to download a map that is sufficiently accurate for my project.

Regarding DEM or LIDAR data, do you know where I could find it?