Home Featured Artwork

The Comfy Room (Frozen concept)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AllyAlbon interpolator

This is the rough blockout for a larger project started today, based on a concept by Cory Loftis from the animated movie Frozen. I took one look at the concept art and knew I had to give it a shot!

At this stage, i’m playing with scale and shape and translating from 2d into 3d (sometimes proportions and shapes simply don’t work). I'm making the room a bit taller and wider, and starting to consider workflow for the individual assets and how I will approach the textures. This is about an hour’s work.

Replies

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I modeled and textured a smaller prop to get a feel for what workflow would work best for this project.  As there will be no normal maps, I went straight into texturing - I am trying a new technique, where each asset starts with the same base colour and is painted over.  This will hopefully create a stronger coherence between each individual asset and pull the scene together.  It won't be highly obvious but should create a nice underlying tone.

I will be sticking to the concept as closely as possible, but with more obvious highlights and shadows and a few more details where needed. All in all, the prop took 3.5 hours which is not too bad. As the workflow becomes more fluid, it will speed up.

The wallpaper is a simple tiling texture at 512x512. I debated whether I should make the pattern more regular and organised, but I like the roughness in the original sketch so kept it scribbly!  Undecided at this point if I want the scene lit or only reliant on diffuse textures - I like them both! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Small update for the Cozy Room, wall sill only 

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I hope you finish this!. I'm looking forward to it. the prop you've got painted so far looks nice. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Unless you're changing the concept a bit, double-check this with the concept :P  Keep going, though.

• ashraful mobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashraful mobin polycounter lvl 10
    Love the concept you have chosen and the progress looks really promising. cant wait to see the final render :)
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks everyone - @PyrZern - interesting point, because when I look at the concept i'm getting the impression that the door on the left is on a slightly higher platform, with a couple of steps up to it - which throws out the line of the wall sill when looking at a different angle.  I can see entirely what you mean though!  I think I will keep it as it is for now, as I like the break in the room but if it doesn't feel right as I go, I will change.

Been distracted recently with everyday things, and feeling a bit rotten with all the recent losses. However I managed to do bit more on this. Tiling wood texture (some repeating but it will be hidden under all the clutter) and a rug! I think I am going to make this scene lit rather than diffuse only - I really like what's starting to happen with the shadows, and the spec bounce on the floor is making me happy!

(diffuse only)

(unlit)

(Lit and with spec on floor)
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Small update - starting to populate with unique assets starting on the upper left.  The umbrella was a lot of fun and a challenge to keep low poly! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Painting base stone is rather therapeutic. Chair, rug, bearskin painted, and the fireplace modelled out for finishing tomorrow. Prop shot is from 3d Coat - I love that program so much.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Still working away on the scene!  Chair is unfinished, going to add some more details. 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hope everyone is having a great holiday, and had a nice Christmas!  I've not been on here much because I moved house recently and am still unpacking, and then worked some pretty gruelling hours at work... and also due to making art.  A lot isn't worth showing yet - but I also made a resolution to finish this older piece that has been sitting gathering dust on the HD, so today it was dusted off and a bit more modelling achieved!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Still alive!  Just really, really busy, but have made the decision to put more time aside for personal art as I miss it so much, and also because this piece has been sitting unfinished for a very long time and that just wont do.  Two flags made today - not a lot, but a start!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Look, it's a relic!  Got completely and utterly distracted from this piece when I landed my first games studio job.  I am absolutely determined to finish this old piece finally - the goal is to get it done by Christmas! May have to actually go back and redo some of the earlier painting, as i've learned a lot since I started this!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Today's contribution to science: cheese! Not a lot of spare time at the moment, but am determined to get this done by Dec 31

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey, the scene's coming along! Depending on the direction you're going, I'd say just be cautious of the texel density.

0.5 meter - 256x256
    1 meter - 512x512
    2 meter - 1024x1024
    4 meter - 2048x2048

Anyone else can chime in if I'm getting this wrong. This still gets to me sometimes.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hey hey!  Yeah, I am fully planning on going back and doing some fixing if I have the time, I started this piece before I was fully aware of such things and some of the older parts make me cringe!  

Go to work: Make Art. Get home: Make Moar.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Ok, so I didn't quite hit the deadline of being finished with this piece by New Years, but it's getting there!

• Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peppek1993 polycounter lvl 2
    I really love this stuff! Awesome work so far, hope you finish it soon and give us the result :)

Would you mind sharing how it looks with just a wireframe and w/o textures? I'm curious on how did you model most of it
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's coming along
  • kat_sta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat_sta polycounter lvl 4
    I love your colour palette <3 and all the cute roundy shapes! are you doing whole thing in 3D Coat? I only put my hand on that program and find it quite challenging
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Peppek1993 - thanks!  I will most certainly be posting some wireframes and non textured versions once I wrap up.  It's a pretty low poly scene although I have upped it recently.

@Brian "Panda" Choi - just very, very slowly :blush:

@kat_sta - Thanks!  I love playing with color and lighting a lot.  All the texture work is done in 3d Coat.  I found it a bit of a challenge to get into the swing of it when I first jumped in but now it's my favourite program for doing the hand painted look.

A little bit more..... really determined to finish this piece over the weekend, wish me luck!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Not surprisingly, I didn't get this finished at the weekend - but got a chunk done and am miles closer. In my defense, I had some electrical work done in the garden and got very distracted browsing on pond and garden forums dreaming of future plans.... 

• Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    This is a really cool project!!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Jakro - Thanks!  It's a really big one too.... :P  

Filling up the mantelpiece... 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Very lovely! Such a warm feeling!
    Love how the cool chair color contrasts with the warmth of the rest of the image.
  • Avenger84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avenger84 polycounter lvl 9
    This looks great ! makes me want to practice hand painted textures, keep up the great work :)

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @NikhilR - Thanks!  I love playing with lighting contrasts.
    @Avenger84 - handpainted textures are so much fun, definitely worth practicing! 

A rather concerned looking fish got his texture today...

• Ninb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninb polycounter lvl 6
    edit, wrong  thread, sorry
  • cbates540
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cbates540 polycounter lvl 8
    @AllyAlbon Your environment is turning out great and I can't wait to see it finished! I also have a project in the works that has been taking way too long due to life stuff. The amount of time it's taken has led to me feeling self conscious about posting it, but it's really nice to see that I'm not the only one out there determined to finish personal projects (and also letting those self-imposed deadlines blow by, lol), so thank you for keeping us all updated!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hi @cbates540!  it's very frustrating when all you want to do is finish a piece, isn't it!  Half the battle is just finishing a model though!  I hope you have been able to work on yours?

So busy, feel like I haven't stopped in weeks - but I did manage to texture the table today!

• Gonzotron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonzotron polycounter lvl 8
    It looks so cozy, what software are you using to paint the textures I may ask? Are you using Photoshop? :) Would love to get into this kind of texture style.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    ...yeah yeah, I am still working on this piece! :D I think it might be finished v soon though.... (ahem)

@Gonzotron - modelled in Max, textured in 3dCoat!  3d Coat is still my favourite for a more hand painted style

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I *WILL* finish this diorama very soon!!! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Getting closer to finishing!  Still getting weird artifacts from Marmoset though

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Finally.  The deed is done.

I started work on this monster before I even entered the industry.
    It always ended up being pushed on the back burner as I wasn't working directly on hand-painted projects and so I put my energy into other practice pieces. Then in 2020 during lockdown, I finally finished it!

There are many, many things I would do differently now, in particular I would make the wall geo double sided and make the overall scene more presentable. I reworked a lot of the textures and would model a lot of the assets very differently. However, this piece still remains one of my favourites.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GaG21V

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Congrats on the feature!