Home Career & Education

Gnomon

GuanAndOnly
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

I know this is a pretty common topic online, but I'd love to hear your opinions!
I'm just about finishing up my first year as a junior modeler in the Toronto animation industry and I've realized how little I know.
Taking a look online, I found out that the new students at Gnomon were already producing work that I can only dream of creating. 
Due to this, I've been strongly considering attending the courses, but of course the price tag on the education is a huge hurdle.

The quality, connections, etc are a nobrainer and have been asked and answered many times already, so my question for those of you who attended is- how easily did you manage to pay off your loans if you used any?

Thanks!

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there,

I can't totally answer your loan question. I have some close friends who have loans from both Gnomon and another school, and its working out barely so far. That would be an extreme example.

That said, if you work hard, you can expect 70,000+ for your first job. If that helps factor your question.

Next is if you're planning to do the program or not. 
    Personally, I would see if you can contact an animation student about their favorite classes. If I could do it over again, I would of not had fluff classes, when I knew exactly what I wanted at the time to focus on. 6 classes cause a lot of all nighters, that can easily be avoided otherwise. For example scenario : Maybe 1 term I would have graphic design , hard surface modeling, hard surface texturing, rigging 1, figure drawing, and principles of animation. And I knew I wanted to be a hard surface modeler, well. I can take out half those classes. Saves a lot of money, and refocuses your time. Not saying I regret having every class, it's an experience. However, if I had money to worry about, and knew before hand exactly my goal. I think this is viable.           With exception of class reservation, I'm not 100% how that might work out. I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue though.

Edit*

Just realized, not sure loan scenario on a non-program approach. So I'm sorry, that was silly of me.

Hope this could help in any way. 
    Cheers!
  • GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there,

I can't totally answer your loan question. I have some close friends who have loans from both Gnomon and another school, and its working out barely so far. That would be an extreme example.

That said, if you work hard, you can expect 70,000+ for your first job. If that helps factor your question.

Next is if you're planning to do the program or not. 
    Personally, I would see if you can contact an animation student about their favorite classes. If I could do it over again, I would of not had fluff classes, when I knew exactly what I wanted at the time to focus on. 6 classes cause a lot of all nighters, that can easily be avoided otherwise. For example scenario : Maybe 1 term I would have graphic design , hard surface modeling, hard surface texturing, rigging 1, figure drawing, and principles of animation. And I knew I wanted to be a hard surface modeler, well. I can take out half those classes. Saves a lot of money, and refocuses your time. Not saying I regret having every class, it's an experience. However, if I had money to worry about, and knew before hand exactly my goal. I think this is viable.           With exception of class reservation, I'm not 100% how that might work out. I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue though.

Edit*

Just realized, not sure loan scenario on a non-program approach. So I'm sorry, that was silly of me.

Hope this could help in any way. 
    Cheers!
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! It definitely helped. 
    The starting salary was definitely something I was worried about- it did say the median salary was around $70,000 but it also showed that it dropped to as low as $30,000. Would you happen to know what's the most common case?

• maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    No problem!

Salary for FX or Modeling/Texturing as far as I know common case is median $70,000 but my closest friends are hard workers as well (I grabbed this number from my own sample size, I didn't even look at Gnomon's or have official knowledge of that till now). Out of those that, weren't as focused, I really don't know.. - but I'm 100% sure you'll kick butt, after a quick search of your starting skills coming into the Program and smart to already be here etc.

You will get 30,000 if you're interning. Which unless visa concerns makes that choice for you, I wouldn't consider interning out of that school. But I'm probably biased on that opinion and don't believe in that approach with the skill set 2 or 3 years should give you. I really think the figure is closely related to work ethic and personal skills. Rather than timing or luck.

I really think you especially will be fine if your history is any demonstration for the future and I wouldn't blink twice for anything less than the median. (Anything less just doesn't even seem correct living in LA anyway!).

I should also say to be transparent, I'm not really the person to be giving advice with loans. However, I've been observant of people who do have them, and same to people with visas. Visas are the #1 hurdle but most people overcome it. 

I say go for your dreams though! I think besides all this money and business fluff, you'll manage it fine. Your life changes with all the friends you'll make :). I think the insane cost of the school shouldn't correlate with salary and "Getting into the industry" :: Because we all can do that more/less without the school, we just all love the craft and want a headstart investment for our career/craft. The school is more an experience that can't be replaced. - Least that's what helps us sleep at night haha! Joking, kind of!

Cheers,
    Max