Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2020 ---- FFD modifier not working

So here is my problem. I wanna use an FFD modifier, in this case a 3x3x3 so i can make that curve next to the selected verts... As you can see the lattice moves but the verts do not.. I dont know what changed cuz the diagonal line to the left of the selected verts i also used an FFD 2x2x2 modifier to drag it in the same direction with no issues.... 

Can anyone help me get it to work again? 

I have discord and can screenshare if needed. Ive read every single forum post on FFD modifier issues and not one fix has worked for me and I dont have time to spend another 3 hours debugging something that was working fine..

PS checking ALL VERTICES in the top picture doesnt help either. Im at a loss and have had but problems with 3ds MAX.

Replies

• rememba_da_name
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay... this is stupid but i found the fix for the problem. Apply which ever FFD modifier you want and if it does nothing collapse it and then reapply it the same way as before and it will work as intended....

3DS Max is so buggy... I mastered Maya and it has no bugs but my job requires Max so ive been learning this turd of a software... Ive spent more time debugging then modelling....
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Did you make sure you went from subobject level 0 to the FFD? If you have a component selection (verts/edges/faces) and switch directly to a modifier from that components selection mode it'll only work on those components.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

3DS Max is so buggy... I mastered Maya and it has no bugs but my job requires Max so ive been learning this turd of a software... Ive spent more time debugging then modelling....
    Funny, I would say that of Maya. Can be a crashfest nightmare. It's like treading on eggshells. There is no doubt though, both Max and Maya are legacy bloated on ancient patched together codebases that surely cannot go on for many more years of 'papering over the cracks'
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't blame the tools, blame your lack of knowledge. You're a noob in Max, life's gonna suck for a month or so, until you start getting it.

Your selection is completely planar, but deformation modifiers like FFD need a volume to work properly.

Before you add the modifier, move the top verts to the right a bit, so your original selection becomes non-planar.

Now the new FFD you add will have a volume to work with.