Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mage Study - Potion Maker

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Shelluna polycounter lvl 10
So I did this doodle a while back and decided to turn it into 3D.

This is what I have so far. I'm thinking of adding some more stuff to the scene to make it look more busy.

Replies

• Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more sketching to the doodle and decided that this mage is going to be some kind of potion maker

There's now a second wall to ground the scene which also allowed me to add more things, like the box of potions and maybe some more books on the ground.

• Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a sketch over of what I wanted to add or change and a painter over of a color scheme. As I was doing so I began thinking more and making up stories about the scene and this mage:

She studies potion and is a potion maker so I wanted to have bottles of potions and books everywhere. There are many plants and herbs involved in making potions but the very common ones she uses are easily accessible there in her room. Since this is fantasy-themed, the mortar and pestle she’s using could be some kind of claw or tooth from a giant creature.

She might also be a bit clumsy. I tried portraying that by the accidental potion spill on the bottom left which made an enhancement on one of the leaves, the broken leg on the chair, a jar with a living creature where she probably didn’t tighten the lid enough so it starts to escape, and an explosion mark on her desk (not shown here but will later be textured in) because you can’t learn new things without having more accidents right?

Here’s some jar sketch ideas of what she could be using in making her potions and elixirs.

• Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello friends, it’s been a while. Sorry for being mia but I am back and will continue posting updates on the project. Truth be told, I’ve been feeling uninspired and unmotivated to do this project during these past couple of weeks. :s It eventually made me worried about not being able to finish it, so I picked myself back up and am now determine to continue on with the work.

As for the update of the project, I have started texturing the foliage and changed the tree in the corner to something a little more drastic. I’ve also put the scene in Unreal as it will be rendered there. I’ll have a rough color on everything else so I can see what the scene looks like as a whole and will tweak the textures as I go.

• CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    The sketches are superb, I especially like the jar with a caterpillar.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished 3d model :smiley:
  • Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
  • HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Your sketch style is so cute, I'd love to see the final product! I reckon you could totally add more polys to the big leaf, you can see it's quite low poly right now :) Keep it up!
  • Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    @HixaLupa Thank you so much! :) Ah I see. Yeah, I can try adding a few more polys to it. Hmm and maybe the vines and the tree branches in the back, too now that I'm looking at it again.

I got everything UV unwrapped, which btw, I found out about the Cut and Unfold method as well as the Layout button in Maya and oh. my. gosh. did it save me a lot of time unwrapping! :3  So after I get those few meshes updated, I'll be bringing the scene into ZBrush to start painting.
  • Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a rough base color on some big things like the wall and floor. I'm unsure how I feel about the green and red, but I'll play around with it a bit more and see where it goes. Here's a side by side of the lit and unlit scene in Unreal. I haven't built or played around with any of the lights yet so I'm just using the default lighting for now.

• Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's more progress on texturing. I also started playing around with the lighting to get a feel of the mood while trying to achieve kind of a midday/evening effect. A shoutout to @Bawwwcas for helping me with that. =)

• Shelluna
    Offline / Send Message
    More textureeeees

• Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    V cute. V cozy.